Jump to content

What's your tipple this evening then?


Recommended Posts

  • VT Supporter

amundsen_zygoat_salted_caramel_2.png

Nearly finished my HonestBrew batch. This is 'Zygoat' (bit of a pervy name, not sure why really) by Amundsen, who seem to me to often have nice stuff but be very very expensive. Can't remember exactly how much this was, but I doubt it was much under a fiver, and may well have been more. Anyway, it was nice. Of course a 'salted caramel and choc chip cookie stout' was going to be sweet, and it was, but it did a good job of being more milky than sweet really. Worth getting, you wouldn't want more than one at a time though.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bloody love Amundsen and that seems right up my street, I'll be trying to get my hands on that. I have a couple of cans of their "Glazed and Confused 2.0" double donut imperial stout on the way. For me, the first version was the beer that truly started this descent into imperial stout madness, and I can't wait to try it again.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter

Might be technically the wrong thread, but I had a non alcoholic beer called Sabro (after the single hop) from Coast Beer Co (Edinburgh) last night, and while the Poles are making incredible fruity NAs this was probably the best one that I’ve ever had that actually tasted like beer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • VT Supporter

Another new one from Honest Brew:

unnamed-2021-02-02T152100.134_408x.png?v

This is 'Plant Sugar' from Polly's, a rhubarb and quince gose with Anglesey sea salt. I had an inter-departmental quiz tonight, and gave myself the motivation of this if we did well. We beat the other teams in our department, so took that as a sign, and this was a worthy prize. What a delightful beer! The balance of flavours is fantastic. It's a little sour, a little salty, a little sweet, with a flavour that's sort of oddly reminiscent of a caipirinha. A real winner this one.

Edited by HanoiVillan
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Another new one from Honest Brew:

unnamed-2021-02-02T152100.134_408x.png?v

This is 'Plant Sugar' from Polly's, a rhubarb and quince gose with Anglesey sea salt. I had an inter-departmental quiz tonight, and gave myself the motivation of this if we did well. We beat the other teams in our department, so took that as a sign, and this was a worthy prize. What a delightful beer! The balance of flavours is fantastic. It's a little sour, a little salty, a little sweet, with a flavour that's sort of oddly reminiscent of a caipirinha. A real winner this one.

That one sounds right up @Xela's street

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Just had that Calamari IPA, pretty pretty good.

Watch it, you'll get battered on that. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator

image.png

Described as "A peachy golden pale with super soft bitterness that intertwines floral elements, cascades of fresh grass, peach, and a galaxy of tropical fruit. A creaminess eludes over a candied field of light cereals and twist of passion fruit", which, despite sounding like a load of old bollocks, actually rings true.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • VT Supporter
13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

image.png

Described as "A peachy golden pale with super soft bitterness that intertwines floral elements, cascades of fresh grass, peach, and a galaxy of tropical fruit. A creaminess eludes over a candied field of light cereals and twist of passion fruit", which, despite sounding like a load of old bollocks, actually rings true.

Never tried that one, but it sounds good and Salopian usually have really nice stuff so I shall keep an eye out for that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
On 23/02/2021 at 23:42, HanoiVillan said:

Amundsen, who seem to me to often have nice stuff but be very very expensive. Can't remember exactly how much this was, but I doubt it was much under a fiver,

 

On 24/02/2021 at 00:10, Davkaus said:

I bloody love Amundsen

Can't remember if it was M&S or Waitrose where I bought Amundsen Chugganaut (Hazy IPA) this week. £3:50 a can. Whichever one it was had a few different cans of theirs but definaitely £3:50 a can

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Moderator
20 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Never tried that one, but it sounds good and Salopian usually have really nice stuff so I shall keep an eye out for that.

My first experience with them, but it's good. Maybe a bit full of flavour for me, but it's a fairly easy drink. A little bit above my usual 4.5% session limit.

Every Friday I'm getting 4 pints delivered from my local pub/microbrewery, so it just depends what they've got in that week. The Weihanstephan is the only keg regular.

https://bramhall.pub/shop/category/keg

Quote

Keg

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trip to the Asian supermarket this afternoon so bottles of kirin ichiban, Chang and singha

KI takes it for me, real easy drink, maybe nothibg crazy for flavour or body but perfect "goes down like pop" beer for the football

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Trip to the Asian supermarket this afternoon so bottles of kirin ichiban, Chang and singha

KI takes it for me, real easy drink, maybe nothibg crazy for flavour or body but perfect "goes down like pop" beer for the football

I do like KI but you don't see it much around here. There used to be a bar in the Arcadian that had it on tap (Bar Coast?). For Japanese lager, Asahi is the go to. 

I remember Chang when I first went to Thailand about 15 years ago. It was like petrol. Got you properly smashed. I think they reduced the potency of it over the years! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â