What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

Ok, may be opening a can (or bottle) of worms here...

How do we keep our beers? Fridge? Obviously lager I like straight from the fridge but what about ales and porters/stouts?

Just now, Xela said:

How do we keep our beers? Fridge? Obviously lager I like straight from the fridge but what about ales and porters/stouts?

I like my ales cool, but not cold. For some of the fancy expensive ones I posted the picture of last week, I put them in the fridge and served at their recommended temperature, but it just numbs my tongue and hides a lot of the flavour, I find. After a couple, they came back out.

Anything other than a lager/cider goes in the cupboard under the stairs where they're cool-ish.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Anything other than a lager/cider goes in the cupboard under the stairs where they're cool-ish.

Lager in the fridge.  Anything else in the attached garage to keep cool but not cold, even in winter

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Xela said:

I drink my ale from the fridge. 

But I do mainly drink golden ale. 

Nothing beats cellar temperature real ale from a decent pub but if it's from a can/bottle your not drinking the real McCoy anyway so fridge temperature is fine by me. 

• Like 2

Having said that, I have a counter top fridge for my beer.  

It has a small ice box and I've discovered the ice box only works when the fridge is REALLY cold and so I normally have the next beer warming on the side whilst I'm drinking the previous one. 

3 hours ago, Xela said:

Fridge cold

and then wash the glass out with cold water and shake excess off rather than dry it, adds a crispness to it

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sid4ever said:

Tonight one for our Polish friends

0E3470C8-C670-4C94-B2A1-1CB12D987616.jpeg

Thoughts and prayers

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I store what I can in the fridge, but it's not always easy. The top shelf of the main fridge just about fits 27 x 500 mL cans and a bottle of piri piri sauce (not quite 7 columns of 4 cans) and the next shelf can fit 440 mL cans (uncommon here) so I've got one column on there too. Then the main bottom meat shelf above the veg tray fits 500 mL bottles so there's usually about 8 bottles, although they tend to be either those we've just bought and plan to drink immediately, or some non-alcoholic beers (since most tall soft drinks / pop!) also fit here and I only want proper beer going into the separate beer fridge. Moving on to which, this is an undercounter "wine" fridge that I have commandeered by removing the bottom 2 shelves, taking it from an 18 wine bottle holder to 12 wine bottles plus up to 15 x 500 mL beer bottles, depending on how well you arrange it, and there's even space for a sneaky 3 x 330 mL cans right at the back on top of the mechanism. Everything else goes in the cupboard, which contains mainly stouts (though I would cool these first, just not fully fridge cold - if they're in, they would be allowed to warm a little before opening), sours, the odd weizen and cheaper beers etc. All of the IPAs are given priority fridge space in the interests of freshness.

And finally:

200.gif

Edited by fightoffyour
  • Like 2

@HanoiVillan I took a visit to Cotteridge Wines earlier today. Bloody hell! I was overwhelmed with the choice. It was a alcoholic attack on my senses. I was going round the aisles like I was in a craft beer version of Supermarket Sweep! 

Picked up about 15 cans of various beers, some of which will make @Seat68 recall in horror (think one is bacon flavoured). @Davkaus - I managed to pick up some of the new Imperial Porter Stay Puft flavours. I went for the praline and espresso martini flavours. They had the waffle & candied bacon and coconut creme flavours as well but decided against picking them up as already had a basket full of weird flavours. 

I've got about 30-40 cans/bottles ready to drink in my flat now so that should keep me busy for a while. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

@HanoiVillan I took a visit to Cotteridge Wines earlier today. Bloody hell! I was overwhelmed with the choice. It was a alcoholic attack on my senses. I was going round the aisles like I was in a craft beer version of Supermarket Sweep! 

Picked up about 15 cans of various beers, some of which will make @Seat68 recall in horror (think one is bacon flavoured). @Davkaus - I managed to pick up some of the new Imperial Porter Stay Puft flavours. I went for the praline and espresso martini flavours. They had the waffle & candied bacon and coconut creme flavours as well but decided against picking them up as already had a basket full of weird flavours. 

I've got about 30-40 cans/bottles ready to drink in my flat now so that should keep me busy for a while. 

Yeah, now you know how I have to be strict with myself eh! Keep posting your reviews, because I'll be going over there soon myself and I fancy some new tries.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yeah, now you know how I have to be strict with myself eh! Keep posting your reviews, because I'll be going over there soon myself and I fancy some new tries.

I spent about £55 or thereabouts. I think I only took in about 25% of the shop! You could spend hours there. 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

On 24/05/2020 at 11:43, fightoffyour said:

Had this out yesterday

Omnipollo - Bianca Blueberry Maple Pancake Lassi Gose 9.5/10 (it’s 10/10 but I have to leave a little wiggle room just in case there is something even better out there ever).

I picked up some Omnipollo beers today. They certainly do some far out flavours!

• Like 1

Â