What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

• 1 month later...

I've got 3 bottles of Thornbridge's bourbon aged stout waiting for me at home. £8 a bottle which is obscene for 375ml, but it's just amazing. I'm a big fan of imperial stouts but I've not come across anything quite like it. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I've got 3 bottles of Thornbridge's bourbon aged stout waiting for me at home. £8 a bottle which is obscene for 375ml, but it's just amazing. I'm a big fan of imperial stouts but I've not come across anything quite like it. 

What's the name?

57 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Guess I am the odd one here, but strong beers aren't how it's supposed to be made. 

Imperial stouts over 10% have been a thing for a couple of hundred years. The belgians would like a word as well.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

Imperial stouts over 10% have been a thing for a couple of hundred years. The belgians would like a word as well.

Yeah I am not doubting that. I just think beers above 6% is kinda meh. Might as well grab a bottle of vino or whisky then. 

it's weird, most ales in pubs I will go for drinks 4.5% and lower preferably, however I f**king love Belgian beers. westmalle dubel or tripel, saison dupont, duvel, tripel karmeliet, chimay etc etc and the rest all oftern in the 7/8-12/13% range are lovely. 

You obviously shouldn't drink them at the same pace as normal beers. A mistake I made on a trip to Bruges 5 years ago, absolutely brutal hangover on the first night, swiftly learned from. Indeed there's a local beer in Bruges - de Guerre or something like that, which is 11.5% and they serve it with cheese :D You do drink it like wine, have a couple of glasses at a relaxed pace is ample. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

it's weird, most ales in pubs I will go for drinks 4.5% and lower preferably, however I f**king love Belgian beers. westmalle dubel or tripel, saison dupont, duvel, tripel karmeliet, chimay etc etc and the rest all oftern in the 7/8-12/13% range are lovely. 

You obviously shouldn't drink them at the same pace as normal beers. A mistake I made on a trip to Bruges 5 years ago, absolutely brutal hangover on the first night, swiftly learned from. Indeed there's a local beer in Bruges - de Guerre or something like that, which is 11.5% and they serve it with cheese :D You do drink it like wine, have a couple of glasses at a relaxed pace is ample. 

Last time I had a proper session on the belgians, I got engaged. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Last time I had a proper session on the belgians, I got engaged. :lol:

I'm sure the trappists would be proud :D

I just ended up,  trying to keep up with the 18,19 year olds from Australia etc on their european tours, and ended up trying to breakdance at 9.30 in a small bar, watched on by perplexed locals ( definitely not a club ) before freewheeling my removed t-shirt around old square, yelling some nonsense. Truly a proud moment. That's probably tame for most brits abroad tales but I so rarely get monstrously drunk, that was sufficiently unexpected for me

Edited by Rodders

A lovely half in neon raptor this evening. A 14% peanut butter, caramel, and chocolate imperial stout. It's the first beer I've had that I'd describe as indulgent. 

Also had a half of a mango, ginger and sea salt sour which was nice, but more like a cocktail than a beer. 

• Like 1

Â