What's your tipple this evening then?

coda

8 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

I've always looked at it as a woman's drink, and also how you describe it as a depressant and an old fashioned cockney female alcy drink. They market it very well tbf. A wide range of flavours too. 

I like dark rum. When they brought out this spiced rum, I thought it would be proper hardcore, full of vicious chilli or something. Turns out that is a woman's drink, all sweet and vanilla-y. Let-down. 

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

I like dark rum. When they brought out this spiced rum, I thought it would be proper hardcore, full of vicious chilli or something. Turns out that is a woman's drink, all sweet and vanilla-y. Let-down. 

Talking of rum and spice, I'm on the spiced Mojitos this evening by the pint. Bloody lovely too.

4 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

im a massive massive rum fan and started drinking the good stuff (i think i peaked at £35 for a single of havana club special something or other) reading up on them all, the history etc visited havana club museum etc etc

basically what i've learned from all that is that vanilla is used to mask cheap shit rum and you shouldnt go anywhere near it

to be fair if you do like rum you cant go wrong with havana club, the 3 year old is the best white, the selection de maestro whatever its called is the best <£50 rum, the 7 year old if you like standard rum is the best <£20 rum (if you like spiced go for kraken, if you're adventurous and want to import go for bayou)

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Never understood the “alcohol x puts me in mood y” thing. Surely it’s all alcohol?

Unless you’re mixing with high sugar/caffeine drinks.

I'm sound on lager. Depressed on southern comfort, and a nightmare on vodka. Wine makes me really happy. 

Anyway, just got in the pub after work, and I'm on the Stella. 

5 hours ago, a m ole said:

Never understood the “alcohol x puts me in mood y” thing. Surely it’s all alcohol?

Unless you’re mixing with high sugar/caffeine drinks.

I'm a complete word removed on wine. I don't drink it anymore. Nothing else effects me like it. Can't explain it! 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Tried some of this in Belgium a week or two ago. It was served as the accompanying beer to my steak frites and was stunning so I asked if I could take six bottles home with me. It must've been good as I clearly didn't ask how much it was and having just found the receipt, they charged me €9 per bottle. 

LqWqGFP.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The world's most expensive bottle of whisky has been sold for £848,000 at auction in Edinburgh.

The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 60-year-old went under the hammer at Bonhams Whisky Sale. The whisky, which was in a vat for 60 years from 1926 then bottled, fetched £700,000 plus a £148,000 sales premium. Experts describe it as the holy grail of whiskies, because of the combination of its rarity, vintage and unique artwork.

Another bottle of The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 was sold at Bonhams Hong Kong in May this year for a then world record £814,081 (HK$8,636,250). Macallan commissioned pop artists Peter Blake and Valerio Adami to design labels for a limited edition of 24 bottles -12 Adami and 12 of Blake.

The latest bottle to be sold came in a specially-commissioned cabinet, or tantalus. Its previous owner bought it direct from the Macallan distillery for an undisclosed sum in 1994. Although 12 bottles of The Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 were produced, it is not known how many of them still exist. One is said to have been destroyed in an earthquake in Japan in 2011, and it is believed at least one of them has been opened and consumed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-45731647

Never let it be said that £40 on a bottle of Rum is "Too much" :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Cotteridge Wines today and significantly lightened the load in my wallet. Going to post details of the beverages here, as much to help me keep track as anything, but might also be of some interest:

wild-beer-co-sleeping-limes-2616-p.jpg

Name: Sleeping Limes

Brewer: The Wild Beer Co

Price: £2.20

Side-of-can Bumf: 'What is it? A lager, a gose, a sour . . . All, or none of the above . . . Put simply it is the most refreshing beer we've ever brewed'

Review: Purchased because of previous encounter. Not much to say really, beyond the description above. It tastes quite a bit of lime and salt, though fortunately more of the former than the latter. No real taste beyond that, but slips down very easily. Worth it at the price point. 

Â