The Royal Wedding

NurembergVillan

53 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Not much interest but I don't hate 'em like most of you lot ;)

They're part of our history and they'll always be here, so there's no point getting all wound up about it.

That’s what they said about Louis the XVI. The French got that one right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Surely it's time on 2018 to devolve the ridiculous idea of a monarchy. I'm not suggesting lining them up to be shot, but this whole idea of "anointed by God" and the Queen as the representative here on earth etc. Even the Royals can't be buying any of that BS anymore can they?

Where is the conversation about this in England? You all point at the yanks for being quite mad (rightly so most of the time) but the monarchy is just ridiculous. How much does it cost the British taxpayer annually?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Surely it's time on 2018 to devolve the ridiculous idea of a monarchy. I'm not suggesting lining them up to be shot, but this whole idea of "anointed by God" and the Queen as the representative here on earth etc. Even the Royals can't be buying any of that BS anymore can they?

Where is the conversation about this in England? You all point at the yanks for being quite mad (rightly so most of the time) but the monarchy is just ridiculous. How much does it cost the British taxpayer annually?

No, no one thinks that. 

I've never even heard of that.

Sincerely,

A Brit.

How much do they cost? around 90p per person, per year.

No one gives a shit. 

Edited by lapal_fan
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

The same people who take TV soap operas seriously (mainly menopausal Daily Mail reading women) take the Royal soap opera seriously. And they get VERY angry when people like me show insufficient deference. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

No, no one thinks that. 

I've never even heard of that.

Sincerely,

A Brit.

No one gives a shit. 

That is the official doctrine - that she is anointed by God. (As head of COE, she is the English version of the Pope.)

I'm a Brit too by the way.

A very simple argument is, how can a society spend millions on one family but allow people to be homeless and destitute?  Even if it only costs you 90p per day.

I give a shit - I think it's ridiculous.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Surely it's time on 2018 to devolve the ridiculous idea of a monarchy.

It is but it won't happen in the UK. A bigger problem is the house of "Lords" because they actually have some power rather than just being a figurehead. 

9 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

That is the official doctrine - that she is anointed by God. (As head of COE, she is the English version of the Pope.)

I'm a Brit too by the way.

A very simple argument is, how can a society spend millions on one family but allow people to be homeless and destitute?  Even if it only costs you 90p per day.

I give a shit - I think it's ridiculous.

It's even weirder that nations such as Canada and Australia still have the Queen as head of state.

I don't like the royal but I actually don't mind William and Harry. They seem abit more down to earth than the queen and that Trollop Charles and Camilla.

Will I be watching? No thanks

Just now, Demitri_C said:

I don't like the royal but I actually don't mind William and Harry. They seem abit more down to earth than the queen and that Trollop Charles and Camilla.

Will I be watching? No thanks

?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It is but it won't happen in the UK. A bigger problem is the house of "Lords" because they actually have some power rather than just being a figurehead. 

To be fair, as nonsensical as it is, they’re using that power for good currently in continuing to vote against the various silly Brexit plans. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Is that before the revenue from tourism that they bring to London especially? (Genuine question).

I don’t mind them, they don’t do any harm.

3 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Not much interest but I don't hate 'em like most of you lot ;)

They're part of Germany and Greece's history and they'll always be here spending our taxes on lavish shite, so there's no point getting all wound up about it.

Fixed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

won't be watching but if a couple of rich people gettimg married makes a few thousand/million people happy for a weekend surely it can't be a bad thing. Despite all the whinging about them an awful lot of people holiday in this country simply to go and gawk at buckingham palace and at least the current generation of royals are actual people rather than the robots of the past. Serving soldiers, Air ambulance pilots, Genuinely supporting british athletes & sportsmen/women. I know it's a bit of a jolly for them at times but if you're swimming in the olympics & the future king & queen are there cheering you on it must give you some sort of boost, Same as when baldy turns up at VP.

The very good 'More or Less' on radio 4 did a short piece today on the net impact of royal weddings etc on the economy.

It's a programme that goes in to some detail on some of the supposed facts and figures that are oft quoted on all sorts of topics.

Their conclusion was that royal events were of such minimal impact on the economy the weather on the day probably had more impact. They quoted a figure of 0.0something or other as the impact on GDP.

Except for the last royal wedding which had an extra bank holiday tacked on to it. Apparently more people took advantage of the extra day and left the country which caused a tiny drop in productivity and income.

So, according to some geeky numbers people I would tend to trust, there's no tourism benefit for the economy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Is that before the revenue from tourism that they bring to London especially? (Genuine question).

I don’t mind them, they don’t do any harm.

Turn all their properties into museums and you'd make more revenue without the need for them to exist.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

The very good 'More or Less' on radio 4 did a short piece today on the net impact of royal weddings etc on the economy.

It's a programme that goes in to some detail on some of the supposed facts and figures that are oft quoted on all sorts of topics.

Their conclusion was that royal events were of such minimal impact on the economy the weather on the day probably had more impact. They quoted a figure of 0.0something or other as the impact on GDP.

Except for the last royal wedding which had an extra bank holiday tacked on to it. Apparently more people took advantage of the extra day and left the country which caused a tiny drop in productivity and income.

So, according to some geeky numbers people I would tend to trust, there's no tourism benefit for the economy.

I would imagine the people of windsor renting out their spare bedrooms on airbnb for 4 grand for the weekend may disagree ;)

Â