Ghosts of Tsushima

villa4europe

OK then, I've put some serious hours into this over the last 2 days.

I have been waiting about 18 months for this to be released, mainly because one of my all time favourite games was Tenchu and the thought of getting another proper ninja stealth game got me really excited, now that I have Ghost of Tsushima I can honestly say that sometimes it is difficult to decide if I should go stealth and pick the **** off with my bow and arrow from a distance while sneaking around on rooftops or if I should just call them out and go balls to the wall attack, the combat is so much fun and gets better as you unlock more stances, when you get the knack of parrying, dodging and switching stance depending on the opponent it really is a joy, I also enjoy the fact that there is no lock on when in combat, it makes the movement seem more real and the way that the characters animation blocks or parry's depending on where the opponent is looks great rather than just locking on and facing them head on all the time.

It isn't anywhere near as immersive as Red Dead Redemption though, the map is pretty huge but there doesn't really seem to be anything to gain from riding around unless you are heading to a marker on the map, whether it be an unknown location, a Mongol territory or a full on mission, with Red Dead you could spend hours just wondering round doing absolutely nothing that had any relevance to the actual story but there was something around every corner that would take you on a little adventure.

My character feels extremely overpowered at the moment, I'm half tempted to knock it up to the hardest setting but then I don't know if it'll ramp up in difficulty as the game goes on.

other than the character being overpowered it does feel like the game is really really forgiving, if you run into a Mongol territory and kill 3 enemies and then get killed yourself then when you restart again just a short distance away they remain dead meaning that the more times you try it the easier it is going to get, I would prefer it if they respawned and you had to go in from scratch every time.

I did some hours last night riding round checking out the island, agree its not as captivating as red dead (which was almost detrimental to the game IMO, exploring the world and hunting was better than the main story) but would say despite having a lot of different things going on its not as guilty as assassins creed and other Ubisoft games of flooding the game with tasks, i think the world feels real, I like talking to the villagers to get map markers, I like that you cant just upgrade everything yourself

would say I've got my head around the combat as well as levelled up in a couple of areas to be comfortable, its all about the parry! did stroll in to an enemy camp on the coast that had 15+ mongols in it and got my ass handed to me...I like how the difficulty comes from enemy types and numbers rather than coming up against enemies that you need to hit 40 times to kill

Put my first couple of hours into this yesterday.

First impressions are very positive. It has a really beautiful and serene atmosphere (due mostly to the music and small details in the scenery) and although the story is well trodden and quite slight I'm invested already.

The combat is...OK so far but that may be me adjusting from the Soulsborne games.

It gets more compelling. I actually struggled a bit with getting into the game in the first couple of hours but gradually it becomes more and more engaging and becomes very easy to wander around exploring.

The combat doesn't have the depth of any of the Souls series, but it's strangely satisfying once you start to get powered up a bit and get your eye in. The perfect parry into kill will never not be satisfying.

• Like 1

I'm not a DS player but piled a lot of hours in to the last AC and I love the depth of the combat! 

Once you get a couple of stances and then more importantly switching between them becomes second nature you're on to a winner 

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

fastest selling new IP on the PS4, sold 2.4m copies in 3 days (appreciate that as console sales increase the likelihood of this feat also increases)

This stat is huge. 

Days Gone which came out April 2019 sold 114,319 copies in 3 days. That was Sony's last new IP so for Ghost of Tsushima to launch and do numbers better than Uncharted 4 (2.7 million in 1 week) is insane.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Anyone else trying to 100% the first part before moving on to the 2nd?

Ive got maybe 5 hours tidying it up and I don't know if it's better to do it now or crack on with the story

I haven't completed the game yet, but I have gotten to Act 2.

What I will say without spoiling anything is after beating Act 1 more side quest/things appear in the Act 1 portion of the map. 

I personally gave up trying to 100% each area and I'll just go back through when I'm super overpowered and do it all then. I am still doing some side stuff as I come across it as I think doing nothing will leave a daunting task by the end, but 100% clearing each section before moving on is something I gave up on. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finished it, loved it, started to get a bit easy so I got a bit lazy with the parrying and the combat which ended up making it harder, the story hasnt always hit home, some of the character missions are more interesting (masuko and the tamoe stories) but I thought the ending was brilliant

Got a fair bit to mop up still so maybe 5 more hours to put in to it, can't be bothered with the crickets stuff though so doubt I'll platinum it 

Platinumed.

Really enjoyed it. There's not much to it, but what there is really well done. It kinda lives and dies on the combat and the art - if you don't like the combat you'll never really like the game. As it is though, I really liked it. 

Another one that has great sequel potential.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Was bought this for Xmas - had a 20 min blast on it last night. Visually stunning as expected and getting used to the combat moves. 

I quite like the stealth aspect of the gameplay and look forward to putting a few more hours into it. 

• Like 3

Â