Ghosts of Tsushima

villa4europe

time for its own thread...

confirmed by sony as being one of the four 1st party games they will showcase at e3, the trailer has been doing the rounds for a while now

developed by sucker punch (infamous, sly cooper 2 fairly underrated series IMO) its a game about the mongolian army invading a japanese island, you playing as a lone samurai fighting back

as big fan of oniumsha, tenchu even the history elements of samurai warrior this sounds almost too far down my street! theres not been a gameplay reveal yet but the island setting to me (+ what they did with infamous) suggests open world, the combat mechanisms will no doubt make or break it, i think there will be at least some element of stealth but I've got massive hopes that this topples horizon and god of war and that its closer than previous sony big e3 games, i think it could be their Q1/2 2019 game if not sooner

You're right about the devs - they've done some very steady, if not spectacular, work. Perhaps this is their time to make step up. I hope so, as you say, the setting has huge potential.

What will make or break this for me will be player movement. I like the inFamous games to an extent, but I have never been a fan of how floaty the player character was, they always seemed to take 2-3 steps further forward than I intended. 

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely loved the infamous series, be interesting to see them do something else.. expecting great things from this

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

there's a state of play event dedicated to it tomorrow

still looks amazing, maybe in danger of becoming a bit like days gone where it doesn't get the love it deserves from Sony as they have their eyes on bigger prizes, im still more interested in this than I am the last of us 2 (probably because I know TLoU 2 will be amazing whereas this could go either way)

Looks stunning, like a grown up polished AC game with elements of tenchu and souls thrown in

Still interested to see if I like the combat system as I'm not a souls fan and that will make or break it

Black and white in full Japanese mode! 

What they didn't show was jin taking damage or having to heal, they did show one of the perks as recover health while walking, I like the 2 or 3 slashes and they're dead but it might be the same to you, especially on hard, also interested if there is some sort of local damage

The parrying arrows was made to look very easy

Is there much known about the narrative yet? That's what would sell a game like this to me, on took the plunge with Horizon on the basis of the premise alone and didn't regret it.

45 minutes ago, hogso said:

Is there much known about the narrative yet? That's what would sell a game like this to me, on took the plunge with Horizon on the basis of the premise alone and didn't regret it.

It's set around the Mongol invasion of Japan in the 13th Century, which was basically one of the first cultural 'mythology' moments in Japanese identity. You play as a samurai who is one of the last left on the island of Tsushima, which was the front line of the first invasion.

It sounds like you'll have the history of the mongol invasion, no doubt some personal vendetta stuff thrown in but then maybe most interestingly they've hinted at some stuff with regards to the ghost stuff vs the samurai code, the stealth attacks not being considered honorable 

They said they looked at basing it on real people but then after consulting the locals and historians (which it sounds like they did a lot of) they decided it wouldn't be right, wouldn't sit well with traditions 

The combat concerns me as it looked very "press triangle to win" which I don't like all that much. I understand that it's a gameplay mechanic that makes the player feel like a boss as they counter everything with ease, but it gets a bit dull after a while.

The rest of it looked okay, I just need them to show more of the combat as that could really hurt its enjoyment after a while. I have a similar concerns for stealth, maybe it was just a bad demo, but it didn't look complicated at all.  

3 hours ago, Chindie said:

It's set around the Mongol invasion of Japan in the 13th Century, which was basically one of the first cultural 'mythology' moments in Japanese identity. You play as a samurai who is one of the last left on the island of Tsushima, which was the front line of the first invasion.

Well, I'm sold. 

Ghost of Tsushima Director, Nate Fox has clarified some things about the combat;

We have this phrase that we use to describe the combat in the game: Mud, Blood and Steel.
We wanted it to feel really really grounded and lethally precise. If you've ever seen a samurai movie you know what it's like. These men cut each other down with a single stroke of their sword and to capture that samurai movie, fight is very different than a lot of other games because it means you can die very quickly and your enemies can too. And that took us a while to get right but we are very pleased with the results and we think it shows up well on the screen.

That excerpt is taken from Episode 365 of the Official PlayStation Podcast. He talks about combat at around 28:30 and you can listen to the podcast here.

I am definitely a lot more content with the game at this point having listened to that. I understand in the demo they likely didn't want to do a Souls-like death montage, but we also learned very little from that combat demo having only seen one side of it.

I am glad that we are incredibly powerful and can kill foes with one swift strike, but the enemy also have swords that can dispatch us in one or two swift strikes too.

I'm sold, bring on July 17th. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I put a couple of hours in, would say it's not an instabanger but it's a bollock tickler, I do get the sense that I will eventually be a bad ass and the game will be great 

Would say that coming off the back of the last of us 2 I got the sense straight away that ghost is a very well done game and yet the polish of TLoU2 blows it out of the water, that said even after a couple of hours just running round I'm sat here thinking if this gets a PS5 release I'm all over it, the art of the game is stunning even if the technical element of it on my old PS4 and normal HD tv isn't fully capable of doing it justice, that's not something I got from the TLoU2

Combat is OK if a little basic so far but you can see from the upgrade paths how deep it's going to get, I like the story set up, the Khan straight away looks like a great villain 

• Like 1

I really enjoy the combat so far even though I'm only early on in the game as well, graphics are superb as expected.

I love the fact that there is no compass or waypoint onscreen and you have to follow the wind.

One thing that I have to say is that no game will ever nail riding a hoss like red dead did 

Â