What Class Are You?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What Class Are You?

• Working Class
    • Middle Class
    • Upper Class
    • Don't Know

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/05/18 at 19:02

I was thinking last night, whether I am working class, or middle class. Done some random online tests which mainly came back working Class, and my family I'd say are working Class. Strange one really though, and I imagine a lot of people like myself, are not really sure. Rugeley itself I'd say is a working class town, but when I think of proper working class, I think of parts of the north of England. Anyway, carry on....

5 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Seriously, the 'class' system is so outdated, it's irrelevant. 

What is it based on? Your parents jobs, your job, your childhood? Where you live, your education, what other people think about you?  Your values and morals? Whether you shop at Lidl or Waitrose?

Meh, it's rubbish. I don't like it at all, it reaks of privilege and a need to maintain an unhealthy and unequal status quo. 

It is very outdated, and there are a lot misconceptions and grey areas that surround this subject. You could have someone who was working Class, but as the years have gone on is now considered middle class. 

39 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Seriously, the 'class' system is so outdated, it's irrelevant. 

What is it based on? Your parents jobs, your job, your childhood? Where you live, your education, what other people think about you?  Your values and morals? Whether you shop at Lidl or Waitrose?

Meh, it's rubbish. I don't like it at all, it reaks of privilege and a need to maintain an unhealthy and unequal status quo. 

I both agree and disagree with that. I hate any kind of privilege and inequality, obviously, and you might be right that the (particularly British) class system perpetuates that. At the same time, I think class awareness and working class solidarity is important. I agree analysing social classes has become a complicated excercise, probably full of grey areas. At the same time, I think it’s fairly evident that social classes do still exist and that the fight to change that requires explicit awareness of class divisions. I don’t know if that made any sense at all. Obviously, I am myself painfully middle class but cling to my strongly working class roots for ideological reasons :blush:

50 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It is very outdated, and there are a lot misconceptions and grey areas that surround this subject. You could have someone who was working Class, but as the years have gone on is now considered middle class. 

That's me, that is. 

Born and raised working class - parents had no qualifications, dad worked in a factory, mom in shops or the Post Office. Lived on a council estate. No car, no bank account, no foreign holidays. 

Then, one day, the 11-Plus, grammar school, university, career in I.T., car, mortgage, Master's degree, early retirement. Middle class by most definitions. 

Interestingly, my wife and most of my closest friends came through exactly the same process. 

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

That's me, that is. 

Born and raised working class - parents had no qualifications, dad worked in a factory, mom in shops or the Post Office. Lived on a council estate. No car, no bank account, no foreign holidays. 

Then, one day, the 11-Plus, grammar school, university, career in I.T., car, mortgage, Master's degree, early retirement. Middle class by most definitions. 

Interestingly, my wife and most of my closest friends came through exactly the same process. 

I suspect this is a very typical story for your generation. Here in Scandinavia, where social mobility has been higher than anywhere else, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t the norm. I wanted to say including the career in I.T. but that would only be half true. 

• Like 1

I’d say I’m somewhere in between working class and middle class. I live on my own month to month on a single monthly income of £1.2 - 1.4k, I can’t afford a lot of nice things due to outgoings but I don’t go without a lot either.

I have my car, rent sorted, phone, internet, video games, Netflix and a few nice days out a month and whatnot but then I can’t afford nice holidays, expensive meals out, luxury items etc... 

I guess once I settle down again and have another income coming in I’d bump myself up to the lower rung of middle class.

I honestly have no idea how the class system works.

If you told me I was working class I'd believe you.

If you told me I was upper class I'd believe you.

It's just never been in my frame of reference.

• Like 1

Â