Trains & Disruptions

Kingman

I was planning on being in Swindon that weekend and getting an easy train in but engineering works all that weekend mean no trains from Swindon.

Anyone else doing this journey and worked out an alternative?

Moor Street to Wembley Stadium with a change at Banbury on the Chiltern line isn't flagging up with any issues. May there be a special on that goes direct?

4 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

I was planning on being in Swindon that weekend and getting an easy train in but engineering works all that weekend mean no trains from Swindon.

Anyone else doing this journey and worked out an alternative?

I’ll be going from Chippenham, looks like there are trains to Paddington from Bath which miss out Swindon. So it’s not too big of a detour. It’s not any good for you though as the bus replacement to Reading will be better than that. I’ll stick with train I think although need to check coming home as it might not work. It will have to be National Express if not.

14 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

I’ll be going from Chippenham, looks like there are trains to Paddington from Bath which miss out Swindon. So it’s not too big of a detour. It’s not any good for you though as the bus replacement to Reading will be better than that. I’ll stick with train I think although need to check coming home as it might not work. It will have to be National Express if not.

Yeah, bus to Reading is an option. Looks like if I can get to Hungerford or Newbury then trains are running and are a bit cheaper too.

3 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

Yeah, bus to Reading is an option. Looks like if I can get to Hungerford or Newbury then trains are running and are a bit cheaper too.

I think I might have to book National express at least for journey home. Otherwise it will be a bus replacement from Reading to Chippenham if it’s any later than 830 which doesn’t leave much time for any post match drinking or if it goes to penalties. It will also  be much quicker and cheaper to just bus it the whole journey.

Other option is to arrange to meet some mates in London to watch the Champions league final and stop over at one of theirs.

37 minutes ago, omariqy said:

How difficult will it be to drive to the ground? I know someone who lives near the ground and I can park in their drive. 

I drove there for Spurs/Citeh a few weeks ago. No bother at all, the way I approached (Hangar Lane to Ikea and in from there).

Chiltern now have some additional info on the Wembley Station service from Moor Street here, look for the first pdf at the bottom of the page that pops up for Saturday 26th May.

When I first checked the results suggested a change was required before Wembley stadium - but this timetable confirms that isn't required. 

• Thanks 1

On 17/05/2018 at 13:00, AlwaysAVFC said:

I think I might have to book National express at least for journey home. Otherwise it will be a bus replacement from Reading to Chippenham if it’s any later than 830 which doesn’t leave much time for any post match drinking or if it goes to penalties. It will also  be much quicker and cheaper to just bus it the whole journey.

Other option is to arrange to meet some mates in London to watch the Champions league final and stop over at one of theirs.

I've gone the National Express route in the end. Will take as long as train and a fair bit cheaper. Leaving Swindon at 7am, back at midnight. We'd better win.

23 minutes ago, tomsky_11 said:

I've gone the National Express route in the end. Will take as long as train and a fair bit cheaper. Leaving Swindon at 7am, back at midnight. We'd better win.

I’ve gone with national express too, easier potentially quicker and a lot cheaper. I hate coaches though but was the sensible option.

Been in a meeting today with Chiltern and West Midlands Railways/LNW and Virgin about all this.

Chiltern - will be what amounts to a 20 minute service (a train every twenty minutes, or three an hour each way) between Birmingham Moor Street and Marylebone - most if not all stopping at Wembley Stadium all day. Services also strengthened in length. HOWEVER, if the game goes to extra time and penalties, there is a risk that your return journey will be a bus from Banbury. Please expect 'Aston Villa queues' at Moor Street (southbound) and Wembley Stadium (northbound) to manage potential fan idiocy. Some of you like a lot to drink... and some of you are prats in general. Same with any team. ? Just kidding... but there will be queues to prevent overcrowding on station platforms and trains in the Witton stylee.

West Midlands Railways/LNW - CrossCity north is a bus if you are thinking of getting to New Street and then walking to Moor Street. ALSO NOTE, that there is the annual Pride parade taking place from 12pm on Saturday which may disrupt your walking time between New Street and Moor Street.

LNW providing their usual Birmingham to Euston services, albeit Coventry to Euston with a bus to and from New Street.

LNW also operating their normal Crewe to Euston services (Tamworth and Lichfield passengers).

Virgin Trains operating a Coventry to Euston service (twice per hour).  Also operating an hourly Birmingham to Euston service but this runs via Wolverhampton and reverses at Stafford.

Plenty of trains - just plan ahead and be sensible with your expectations. Bear in mind that this engineering work around Proof House Junction to Birmingham International has been planned for years. The fact that Villa have got to Wembley has been known about for less than seven (7) days.

It's the Shrewsbury fans I feel sorry for.

And I feel sorry for Liverpool fans - their victory parade is planned for Sunday and as far as I can tell, no trains in and out of Lime Street for that event. 

Edited by Raver50032
  • Like 1

Just having another look at National Express, and the drop off/collection points for Wembley stadium are 5-6 **** miles away.

I don't fancy making that journey when 90,000 people leave a stadium at once. That's going to be a nightmare.

I think I'll drive.

Edited by Davkaus

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Just having another look at National Express, and the drop off/collection points for Wembley stadium are 5-6 **** miles away.

I don't fancy making that journey when 90,000 people leave a stadium at once. That's going to be a nightmare.

I think I'll drive.

You do know they do a special run straight to Wembley Stadium? Got it for the FA Cup a couple of years ago - really good to be honest! Dropped right at the stadium and picked up also.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en/events/championship-play-off-final

23 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Ah, fair enough. Good news for most but I'm travelling down from Nottingham

Ah - didn’t realise! Yeah, getting a coach from Birmingham doesn’t help you much!

Â