Jlloyd Samuel killed in crash

One For The Road

RIP JLS, thanks for the great memories was my second choice player of the year (after JPA) that season we finished 6th under DO'L

A more local article

Footballer Jlloyd Samuel dies in crash near Lymm

FORMER Premier League footballer Jlloyd Samuel has died in a car crash near Lymm this morning.

The 37-year-old ex-Aston Villa and Bolton player was killed in the two-vehicle collision on West Lane.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association confirmed the news on their Facebook page today, Tuesday.

The statement statement: "We've received some terrible news that former National defender and Ex-Aston Villa and Bolton Wanderers player Jlloyd Samuel died in a car crash this morning in England.

"According to reports, Jlloyd was returning home after dropping his kids off to school and collided with an oncoming vehicle.

"The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association and his former national teammates at this time extends deepest condolences to his family members both in the UK and here in Trinidad and Tobago."

Police have confirmed that the footballer, who had most recently been manager of non-league side Egerton, died at the scene.

His next of kin have been informed and are currently being supported by specially trained officers.

Police remain at the scene on West Lane following the collision involving a Range Rover and a van at 7.55am.

The driver of the van, a 54-year-old man, sustained serious injuries and has been taken to hospital for treatment.

Firefighters attended the crash as one of the vehicles was 'well alight' near Costcutter.

Witnesses reported how members of the public rushed to try to rescue the footballer after the fire broke out. 

Road closures have been put in place at either end of West Lane, near the junctions of the A56 and the A50, as emergency services deal with the incident.

Motorists are advised to avoid the area.

32 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Was probably my favourite player at one point growing up, bombing down the wing in O'Leary's first season in those white Mizuno boots.

Remember those, I sat in the Trinity as a kid that season and he was great linking up with Vass and Barry attacking the north end.. Really silky player beating players with feints and cuts inside - nearly scored a worldy against Leeds doing that. Probably remember the performances of him that season more vividly than any player since

So gutted, RIP J LO.

Edited by villanmac

Such sad news. Another former player gone way too soon. My thoughts are with his family particularly with his kids who he had dropped off for the final time before tragedy struck. HEITS.

Tragic news ! So gutted for his kids & wife.... puts tonight's game into perspective. Win lose is really insignificant in the grand scheme of things... 

I cant believe  Ugo, Dalian and now Samuel... 3 villains taken way too early ... so sad! 

2 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Tragic news ! So gutted for his kids & wife.... puts tonight's game into perspective. Win lose is really insignificant in the grand scheme of things... 

I cant believe  Ugo, Dalian and now Samuel... 3 villains taken way too early ... so sad! 

Awful news. Can't believe he was only 37. So sad. 

Let's hope there is a minutes silence at the game tonight. Im sure the fans will also give him a good send off.

RIP

Awful news, RIP Jlloyd. Think this one hits home a bit more for me because he’s not far off my age and I drive down that road regularly. So sad that young kids have to deal with such a traumatic event, my thoughts are with his family.

Edited by djdabush
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Horrific news, how tragic. On the playing side of things he gave us some pretty good service overall, was absolutely exceptional for most of the 2003/2004 season and scored a couple of really good goals against Charlton (home and away). 

I remember that game very well. Was a cracking goal. RIP JLloyd, I always thought your J11OYD license plate was great when I was a kid

• Like 1

Â