Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

Match Polls  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/05/18 at 22:59

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

My summary of the game is that we were excellent.

Backs to the walls at time but we defended superbly and I can't remember Boro having any proper chances until Downing's free kick.

We struggled to get forward at times, but we still created far more chances, and better ones, than our opponents. 

I thought we did exactly what we needed to do on the night. We'll need to find a bit more going forward against Fulham, but I think we can step up an extra gear.

Shout out to the fans last night who were incredible. Around 55-60 minutes I thought a really strange thing happened. Almost like the whole crowd thought "we need to get us over the line here" and suddenly it felt like everyone in the Holte End was cheering and chanting and going mad. 
The atmosphere was good before that but that last half an hour was unreal.

Agreed, although I must admit, I was probably the only person around me not joining in with the chanting over the last 20 mins, my mouth was too busy filing down my fingernails!!!! :)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The only thing that disappointed me was the pitch invasion. Not because I don’t agree with it or anything, but I would have loved to belt out Don’t Look Back in Anger and have the players celebrating in front of the Holte after that. 

Its a shame we and they were denied that. 

Spot on.

The 'rocket polisher' chant aimed at the cretins on the pitch was one chant I definitely did join in on!!

• Like 1

as above

My lad and I stayed to see if the pitch would clear and if the players would come onto the pitch to celebrate with us. But it was too late by then. Took me for ever to get back to Telford every where nose to tail . Got home at midnight, watched the highlights and up for work at 5 am Tired but happy and buzzing to go to Wembley. 

Absolutely shattered. I was a bag of nerves the entire match , god knows what the final will do to me! I thought the atmosphere was superb, only tempered with the fact of the small time pitch invasion. I could understand the Albion one but getting to the play off finals?  

Boro did not create enough chances and over the 2 legs Villa were the better side. It was a slight shame we couldn't knick a goal last night but we got through, and without further injuries. Fulham is going to be tough but when the players, fans, and manager all pull together at Villa, good things happen. 

3 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

The official attendance was 40,505 last night. Was that because Boro only brought 500 of their 2000 allocation?

the capacity includes corporate and also Boro were only given 2000 seats where there are normally 2800.

Blame the prawn sandwich brigade! 

Edited by S-Platt

On 15/05/2018 at 22:33, Demitri_C said:

Trinity they were probably the only quiet ones until last 10m. 

I am a lower Holte season ticket holder but was in Upper Trinity with my lad. 

I can confirm upper Trinity was bouncing and singing throughout. 

Was not much different to The Holte to be honest. 

I've only sat up there 2 or 3 times before and it's been like a library before. 

Mind you I got to see the Holte in full glory from afar which was a bit of a treat. 

• Like 2

On 16/05/2018 at 10:39, Kingman said:

I'm not about to name, names but that what I was told, There will communication from the club as lot of people asking 

What happened?

Aston Villa had to ditch the gigantic flag which was supposed to form the centrepiece of their pre-match show against Middlesbrough.

BirminghamLive captured the first picture of the flag before the club decided against showing it off to the 40,505 supporters at Tuesday evening’s play-off semi-final second leg versus Middlesbrough.

The flag was supposed to unfold in front of the Holte End as the players emerged for kick-off amidst the pyrotechnics and deafening noise inside Villa Park.

While the flame-throwing went down a treat, the flag – which reads ‘We Are Villa’ – remained glued to the roof of Villa’s iconic stand.

Testing began more than three hours before kick-off as workers abseiled down the Holte End to give manager Steve Bruce and other onlookers a sneak preview.

However, the club couldn’t shake off early teething problems.

In the end club officials decided it was best to go ahead without the flag due to concerns over the speed at which it would return to the roof. 

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-ditch-grand-plan-14672232 

Edited by Kingman
  • Like 1

Â