Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Middlesbrough

limpid

Match Polls  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 19/05/18 at 22:59

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

'Big Wembley pitch' is 1m wider than VP, and the same length. 2m longer than Craven Cottage, but same width. 

Not sure it's going to have much impact. 

Ya, I know that... but, players are always moaning about that pitch and 1x2m extra is no small amount of yards.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

97B7856B-14AE-4B58-AC79-F6E1E067D040.jpeg.fc18dc408d5c0c54d112be572240d7bd.jpeg

Posted in Sam’s thread but I’m not convinced that’s outside the area.

The sky feed showed one replay from the touch line.   It looked clear that the ball was directly above the line at contact.  According to LOTG the line is part of the area it defines, so he handled it inside the penalty area.  Should not have been called at all.  (It doesn’t matter at this point, except that Boro fans thinking we were lucky are wrong we were actually unlucky.) Just sayin 

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, chappy said:

Most I’ve enjoyed a 0-0 in a long time! I thought we were excellent last night, every player. MOTM, man of the year, Mile Jedinak... they were never going to get through him! Big game player.

Johnstone didn’t really have much to do but commanded his area well, came out and caught crosses well to nullify any potential pressure and got clattered by their LB at one point for his trouble. I was in the Holte so couldn’t really see the handball... fair play to Mike Dean for not sending him off though (not entirely sure what the rule is there) ?

Bree grew into the game after looking nervous at the beginning, solid enough. Not much more to be said about Chester and JT, Absolute warriors and wouldn’t want anyone else leading us into the final. Hutton clearly forgot to take Adama out of his pocket when he got home on Saturday night, top class nullification of their least predictable threat.

Adomah was fantastic in a defensive display, he’s seemed off it a bit since his injury but did what he needed to do last night. Snodgrass covered every blade down his side - his work rate set a great example to everyone else, chasing back to help Bree and also pressing them up the pitch. Thought Hourihane played really well too - leading the way with high tempo pressing and would’ve had a goal but for an excellent challenge by Friend.

Running out of words to describe Grealish and how important to us he is. Lifeblood. 

We didn’t give Grabban much chance to get into the game but I thought he did well when he got the chance and showed great willing to go out wide and hold the ball up, just what you need your centre forward to do if you’re not committing too many forward. Good Randolph save stopped him getting on the scoresheet too. We will need him to stretch Fulham at Wembley, think he’s got a goal in him for the final. Didn’t watch the game on Saturday as I was at a wedding but saw the criticism of Kodjia when he came on... none necessary last night, continued where Grabban had left off and also caused them some problems.

It did feel a bit flat at the end unfortunately after the initial release of the final whistle. I would’ve liked to celebrate with the players (from the upper Holte) and the chance to do that was taken away by the people on the pitch - I guess it was always going to happen though. I wanted to see what they were going to do with that banner!

One final note, I can’t go to the final as I’m an usher at (another!) wedding which I’m gutted about but I’d just like to say that whether we win or not I love this current team. Can’t remember the last time I was so proud of a Villa team like the current bunch. For what it’s worth, I think we’ll beat Fulham but that’s for another day in another thread.

So's not to waste it, can i have your ticket? ?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, smg said:

Wouldn't it be good if the Bruce haters could be quiet until after the final and just be positive about the achievement in getting there. If we lose they can moan because he's been shit all season, if we win they can moan because he's not good enough to achieve anything in the premier league.

Yet, by bringing it up, your accentuating the negativity. 

Also, "Bruce haters", grow up. 

3 people thought Bruces performance last night was Poor or Very Poor. Not Average even, which another 23 have said.........105 say good or very good.  

That's a big big gap between 105 basically thinking the Manager has done well, to 3 who think he's done badly. Opposite ends of the spectrum.

Given that we got to Wembley on the back of that, I must admit to wondering how many things would have had to be how much better for those 'Poors' to become 'good' !!

I mean, 'Poor' to 'Good' is quite a gap.  To upgrade those to 'Good' would mean the 'Goods' having to upgrade to 'Fantastic' lol.

Really ?  Poor ? I just don't get that at all.

8 hours ago, a m ole said:

also a quick mentch: @hogso, too much curl mate!

In hindsight I'm surprised I connected with the ball even that well! It was quite awe inspiring being down there, I was the last one cos we had to battle through the crowds from the upper holte, and having only been down there for about a minute I had to kick the thing. 

At least I can say I've kicked a ball on the hallowed turf - in a way that was allowed by the club :D

At least my effort was better than this... 

Jedi MOTM for me, the final is going to be interesting. I suppose we'll be the underdogs? 

Edited by hogso
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Daweii said:

All I will say is if our fans still think we played badly spare a thought for Middlesbrough. We played so badly that they failed to win, failed to score and failed to barely have a shot on target over two legs against a team playing "badly".

We will tackle the final differently, I am sure about that, but this Semi-Final was a professional performance by a team that did exactly what it needed to do which is all that matters.

Brilliant post. Have one of those cupcakes with ludicrous amounts of icing on top. Ah hell, put some sprinkles on as well, it's time to celebrate. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The big banner said "We are Villa" and I think it was supposed to come out pre-match rather than post match. Not sure though.

Yes this is correct, Should of come down pre-kick off when the fire works started but failed. 

10 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's a shame it's the club that gets fined and not the people running on the pitch. At least you got to run on some grass. Totally worth hitting Tony in the pocket. 

Do clubs really get fined when you get pitch invasions on a large scale? it's not like the club could have done something to stop it and i refuse to believe that these lower league clubs get hit with fines when they win a big cup tie etc

1 hour ago, Kingman said:

Yes this is correct, Should of come down pre-kick off when the fire works started but failed. 

I'm not sure this is true. How would they have removed it when they game started?

22 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

We got fined 200k for the pitch invasion against the baggies

that was also due to invasions before final whistle and ripping up seats. i still refuse to believe they will hit shrewbury with a fine after they did it last sunday. anyway, lets agree to disagree, i don't do it but have no problem others doing it as long as it's in peaceful manner. blues showed us in the quarter final a few years back how to make it look small time by goading us rather than celebrating

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32743437

Â