Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Some promo art for Endgame has been released which shows the original 6 Avengers suited up. Not that much interesting, Thor is unchanged it appears from Infinity War, Black Widow has a more classic look, Stark has a new suit which appears a modern take on a more classic look, Cap has nods to his classic scaled armour, Hawkeye has his Ronin look. The interesting bit relates to Hulk (spoiler potential ahoy)

Spoiler

Hulk is wearing a uniform, an Avengers jumpsuit, but most interestingly his face looks more like Ruffalo than ever. The uniform plus the much closer to Banner appearance has lead to suggestions we might be getting a 'Professor Hulk' in the new film, which relates to times where Banner has much more control over his alter ego meaning for all intents and purposes Hulk has Banner's brains and control combined to the strength and invulnerability he usually would have.

There's also been the usual toy leaks which can give a good idea where things are going (as if it wasn't clear already).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Punisher and Jessica Jones have been cancelled by Netflix, as expected, meaning the link up between Marvel and Netflix will end with Jessica Jones series 3.

The head of Marvel TV, Jeff Loeb, has done an open letter that basically says it's over but that the doors open for the characters to return somewhere someday.

I really can't see Marvel letting Daredevil at the very least lay dormant for long, he's one of their most popular characters. Doubtful it'll be the Charlie Cox version unfortunately, but still.

20 hours ago, Chindie said:

Punisher and Jessica Jones have been cancelled by Netflix, as expected, meaning the link up between Marvel and Netflix will end with Jessica Jones series 3.

The head of Marvel TV, Jeff Loeb, has done an open letter that basically says it's over but that the doors open for the characters to return somewhere someday.

I really can't see Marvel letting Daredevil at the very least lay dormant for long, he's one of their most popular characters. Doubtful it'll be the Charlie Cox version unfortunately, but still.

What a bloody joke.punisher and daredevil are absolutely brilliant 

• Like 1

marvel collect crazy stats and never release them, its not just viewing figures its viewing patterns, they judge success in different ways to normal people, stuff like number of people watching in the opening weekend, drop off figures, binge watching calculations etc

On 18/02/2019 at 21:10, Chindie said:

You’d imagine that having their own streaming channel through Disney, they have to go for a softer approach to these type of characters 

Captain Marvel first reactions are out.

As always need to be taken with a slight pinch of salt, but the consensus seems to be that it's a fun, weird 90s style sci fi movie with Mendelsohn stealing the show, followed by the cat. It's an origin story still but seems to have a different take to others and supposedly feels quite different to any other MCU film.

I'm still cautious. I'm 100% in for Skrulls, but Danvers is a shite character imo.

15 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

If she is the saviour for endgame it's going to be very uninspiring 

I think they'll have her as a big new 'power' for the Avengers but she won't be the reason they defeat Thanos...

11 minutes ago, Jon said:

Where is Adam Warlock in all of this Avengers/MCU/ Thanos stuff? Surely he'd be the one to defeat Thanos? 

He's teased in the post credits scene of Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and his cocoon is an Easter egg in the first Guardians film.

They haven't followed the Infinity Gauntlet plotline that closely so he isn't necessary to the story, and even if they had doing his full story would have been a nightmare in a single film, with everything else they had going on as well (and would come across a bit Space Jesus saves the day, an issue they'll have a bit anyway...).

Annette Bening's part in Captain Marvel had been confirmed.

Spoiler

She's playing the Kree Supreme Intelligence. I can only assume nobody showed hey what that character normally looks like when they cast her...

Supreme_Intelligence.jpg

The Supreme Intelligence is effectively a living AI created from the amalgamation of the greatest minds of the Kree race, that acts as their leader and a near religious figure.

Given that we know Ronan the Accuser, villain of Guardians of the Galaxy, is in the film pre radicalisation, you can probably guess he defies the wisdom of the Supreme Intelligence at some point in the film.

There's also been hints that the film might take the Supreme Intelligence in ways the comics haven't, which might be interesting.

There's also a bizarre, sad campaign to hamper the Rotten Tomatoes score for the film. Seemingly because it's based on a female character. There's some sad words removed out there.

• 2 weeks later...

Captain Marvel reviews are out.

It's seemingly a solid 7/10. It's not bad but not blowing any socks off. There's universal criticism for a very slow first act, it's apparently not as funny as expected from the series at this point, and it doesn't have too many standout memorable moments. The cat steals the show and it apparently tries to hide how much of an origin story it is by turning the origin into a mystery. It's also apparently quite a clearly a lead in for Endgame, which I didn't expect.

There's also praise for Larsen but criticism of the character itself, and criticism that is a bit blander than other recent Marvel films.

Looks like a solid middle of the road entry.

• Like 2

The issue with it is still that Danvers is the least interesting thing in it as far as I'm concerned. But then I really dislike her as a character. It's an origin story so it's never going to be completely astounding, there's boxes it has to tick and hoops it needs to jump through. It seems they've tried to mix it up by making the origin into a mystery, so it might be a bit different.

I want to see them actually do something with the Skrulls, not have them as a one and done threat. I'm interested in the origin of Nick Fury, Ronan, what they do with Jude Law's character, how they do a callback to a 90s MCU.

But Captain Marvel herself? Shrug. She's just not a good character. She's bland in her powers, she's very unlikable in the comics, and her origin is a mess. They've changed it here so I'll be a little intrigued but still... She's the least interesting thing in her own movie imo.

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

The issue with it is still that Danvers is the least interesting thing in it as far as I'm concerned. But then I really dislike her as a character. It's an origin story so it's never going to be completely astounding, there's boxes it has to tick and hoops it needs to jump through. It seems they've tried to mix it up by making the origin into a mystery, so it might be a bit different.

I want to see them actually do something with the Skrulls, not have them as a one and done threat. I'm interested in the origin of Nick Fury, Ronan, what they do with Jude Law's character, how they do a callback to a 90s MCU.

But Captain Marvel herself? Shrug. She's just not a good character. She's bland in her powers, she's very unlikable in the comics, and her origin is a mess. They've changed it here so I'll be a little intrigued but still... She's the least interesting thing in her own movie imo.

I just hope she isbt going to be the one saving the day in endgame that would be very lame. 

I hope ant man has a key role in this. 

Captain Marvel review

Spoiler

Well, that was very different than I expected. I was not expecting the switch and the Skrulls to be the good guys. 

I thought we would see more Ronan, and didn’t see Jude Law to be like that. 

At no point is she referred to as Captain Marvel. 

I’m guessing the input of the human genetics with the Teseract energy makes her so strong (could we see Starlord gets powers?) 

How did the Tesseract not burn through the lunch box when previously it burnt through Cap’s plane.

Obviously that end credit scene sets up end game massively. But you do have to question how did the Avengers get the pager? 

It’s an origin story with a twist. It won’t be remembered loads, and be just part of the MCU rather than being a big contributor to the MCU. 

Think it’s fairly obvious there will be a second one, but apart from end game, I can’t see where Ms Danvers will sit with other MCU characters (similar to Doctor Strange really).

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

I dont think its a classic but also far from the worst Marvel movie. Entertaining enough and better than some starter movies like Thor and Dr. Strange

Spoiler

enjoyed the twist too of the Skrulls not being the bad guys, Ben Mendelsohn must be so confused

She will definite be a big player in Avengers Endgame

I liked the Stan Lee tribute at the start. Really nice touch

• Like 1

Â