Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The new xmen movies are pretty shit to be honest. 

The problem is I can't see anyone portraying wolverine as well as hugh jackman. Any reboot will be a flop.

Don’t think anyone will argue with the first part.

Casting  has been one of Marvels strengths, I think they’ll pitch it right. I was listening to a podcast a few weeks back, apparently fox only selected Jackman by default (yes he’s been superb), but he was actually about 5th choice and only because of other commitments did he get the role. 

6 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Don’t think anyone will argue with the first part.

Casting  has been one of Marvels strengths, I think they’ll pitch it right. I was listening to a podcast a few weeks back, apparently fox only selected Jackman by default (yes he’s been superb), but he was actually about 5th choice and only because of other commitments did he get the role. 

Wow really didn’t know that. I bet any of the first four would never have done as good a job as jackman. Unfortunately I think the. X Men films are finished. Even dark Phoenix looks pretty pants.

Dougray Scott was the first choice as I recall.

Jackman is actually nothing like Logan in the comics. He's meant to be a really short stocky guy for a start.

Can't deny he's made the role his own but I think it is possible to recast it and do the character differently successfully.

• Like 2

Thought I once read that Bigelow and Cameron  wanted Bob Hoskins to play wolverine .. which probably fits closer to the original version of Wolverine ... but would seem weird with the benefit of hindsight 

their  version had money issues and never got off the ground 

• Like 1

I don't think Jackman's portrayal is so iconic that it can't be touched. He's done a great job, but even after Ledger's famed Joker performance, we've had Jared Leto and soon Joaquin Phoenix take on the role.

The height is the thing that got me from the comics, Jackman is like 6'2 where as Wolverine is always described as short and nuggety.

16 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't think Jackman's portrayal is so iconic that it can't be touched. He's done a great job, but even after Ledger's famed Joker performance, we've had Jared Leto and soon Joaquin Phoenix take on the role.

The height is the thing that got me from the comics, Jackman is like 6'2 where as Wolverine is always described as short and nuggety.

I disagree. Without him the xmen movies would have flopped. These new ones have been absolutely shit.

On 17/01/2019 at 03:34, ThunderPower_14 said:

Leto was garbage though and havent seen Phoenix to compare though the guy from Gotham is quite good. Better than Leto's Ace Ventura impression

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I could put the whole of the Marvel Cinematic Universe into the things i don't get thread. 

There's not much to get in fairness. It's just a series of movies that exist in the same universe that tie together through shared characters etc.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

There's not much to get in fairness. It's just a series of movies that exist in the same universe that tie together through shared characters etc.

No, I don't get the interest in them, how big its become. 

They leave me cold and beyond my disinterest in them it makes me angry that they are totally stifling any originality in Hollywood who are far too scared to come up with anything new or different and concentrate instead of chucking out yet another superhero movie. 

23 minutes ago, sidcow said:

No, I don't get the interest in them, how big its become. 

They leave me cold and beyond my disinterest in them it makes me angry that they are totally stifling any originality in Hollywood who are far too scared to come up with anything new or different and concentrate instead of chucking out yet another superhero movie. 

Oh. Probably not a thread for you then.

I don't think that there's actually much merit in your complaints. There's very little originality in Hollywood, and that's been the case for decades. Hollywood follows trends and given the money involved they are fairly risk averse. The more original film making comes from the lower budget end of things in the main.

Saying that, there really aren't that many superhero movies. There are hundreds of films released every year, and a handful have been superhero movies each year for the last few years. Looking at the listings this week, there's 2 period dramas, some kids films, a sequel to a 60s classic, a biopic and gangland drama released this week, and a sequel that technically is a dismantling of superhero movies that nobody would think of when asked to think of a superhero movie. Last year, 6 superhero movies were released that I can recall - Black Panther, Infinity War,  Ant-Man and the Wasp, Venom, Aquaman and Enter the Spider-Verse. They're all quite different, and some were critical his as well as box office successes. That's become fairly standard in recent years. None are 'bad' movies. They won't be everyone's cup of tea, but in that case you ignore it. Go see something else - studios counter-program knowing some people just don't want to see the latest Marvel epic. 

The idea that superhero movies have swamped Hollywood is just snobbery.

Now, back on topic...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Oh. Probably not a thread for you then.

You are right.  I did come in here to piss on chips to be fair and I apologise. It was a bit of an impulsive post when I saw the thread 

I did a similar thing on the music thread when The Stone Roses released new music. I can't help myself so I'll duck out and once again sorry. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to watch xmen apocalypse I have to say Omg what a pile of shit that was. Since the went down the younger generation route these films have been absolute garbage. 

They need to aceept these films need wolverine on them. 

Spoiler

Also Jean grey phoenix killing apocalypse?? Wtf is that about. He is immortal. Dreadful ending. 

Â