Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

Saw Antman and Wasp today. Was very disappointed in it. Louis added light relief, which was good. But the last ant man was the change fo marvel into comedy. This one couldn’t pull it off. The story was weak and the acting wasn’t great. 

As for the end credit scenes 

Spoiler

The first one is worthwhile stayin for, linking the “Snap” in and leaving Scott isolated opens up a lot of questions and interesting to seee how he gets out.

The second, not worth waiting for. Had no point whatsoever

14 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I get what you are saying but I’d like to judge it as a marvel film, and not be concerned about any connotations... for me that is racism going the other way. Let’s not forget that we had a black “Hero” in Blade back in the nineties. 

Should we not be judging a film on its merits, with colour not even being an aspect? I may be opening a complete can of worms, more outside of this thread, but any film and actor(ress) should be judged on the film and how good it is, not the colour of skin

The film doesn't exist in a vacuum unfortunately, and the context and connotations are always going to be relevant. Same goes for any media.

A comparison to Blade is a bit of a red herring I think. Blade was a middle budget oddity, that became fairly successful, and had a black lead. Black Panther is the latest in the biggest franchise in the game, with lots of eyes on it and lots of money behind it, and went with a nearly entirely black cast and with a black director and so on. And turned out to be massive. They aren't the same. There isn't really a comparison for the time Blade was released, the best you could perhaps say is if the Phantom Menace had been focused on a majority black cast with black director etc, it might have been comparable. Otherwise you may as well say Black Panther is the same as Predator 2, because the star of that was Danny Glover.

It would be nice to see a film only in its merits as film making, but that's never going to happen, and probably shouldn't. Even if we posit that racism was never 'a Thing', films have long sought to make statements about matters relevant to the real world (as has much of media) and been praised for it, rightly. Black Panther does get plaudits for what it is because of that. Hollywood reflects society and it remains unusual to see black people at the forefront of media, while white people remain at the forefront. Black Panther pretty much rejects that. It's no shock it's praised for it.

So whilst purely as a film it's a run of the mill entry in Marvel's stable, with some highlights above its peers and some things below par. But it's also doing something different and important, not only in its genre but also on film generally, and that garners it deserved praise. 

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

if the Phantom Menace had been focused on a majority black cast with black director etc

Oh god, the internet would have exploded!

42 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Rewatched Infinity War tonight, first time since seeing it at the cinema.

That's just a **** good blockbuster. There's undoubtedly problems with it, I've noticed more since rewatching some of the films that run up to it, but there's just so much good about it. Even the score is pretty bloody good for a Marvel film - the music over the credits is proper epic fare fitting the mid of the ending.

It really really should be a complete mess. And it just isn't. It's got a cast big enough for 3 movies, has about 3 different plots going on all at once, it's villain is a giant purple monster with a magic glove that wants to cull the universe... But it's great.

It might have to be bumped up into the top spot in my MCU ranking. Maybe.

Watched it again on a plane the other day. The start is so so great.

Starts losing its way in Scotland just after Strange gets beamed up. After that it's still good but not brilliant for me

They still do well to fit in so much stuff, it doesn't feel long at all for a 2.5 hour film.

Still not had chance to see Infinity War yet as couldn't get to the cinema (the baby had just been born), is it worth watching the original or extended cut first? 3 hours 50 minutes seems beastly is worth doing for the right film.

40 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Still not had chance to see Infinity War yet as couldn't get to the cinema (the baby had just been born), is it worth watching the original or extended cut first? 3 hours 50 minutes seems beastly is worth doing for the right film.

There's not an extended cut unfortunately.

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

There's not an extended cut unfortunately.

Avengers Infinity War (Plus Bonus Content) at 3hr 47minutes is available to buy on Amazon TV, no details of what the 'Bonus Content' is.

6 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Avengers Infinity War (Plus Bonus Content) at 3hr 47minutes is available to buy on Amazon TV, no details of what the 'Bonus Content' is.

I haven’t seen the extended but have heard there are some good clips... I’d say best to watch original first though..

• Like 1

Guardians 3 has been put on an indefinite break for the time being. Hardly surprising when they haven’t got a director in yet. With the actors (especially Batista) being upset over the whole Gunn thing, I could see the story changing completely and maybe even being faded out.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

I haven’t seen the extended but have heard there are some good clips... I’d say best to watch original first though..

Just looked into the details of the bonus features (it was sadly impossible to avoid spoilers so no real risk) and most of the extra time is standard dvd extras such as gag reel, making ofs and round table discussions. It appears there about 5 deleted scenes but the total length is only about 11 minutes extra. Slightly misleading by Amazon TV. Shame as I was hoping for a LOTRs type extended cut with a lot more to it. 

Prior to editing the film was much longer, and there was a rumour there would be an extended cut on the home release, but that never appeared. I don't expect there to be much in the extended clips. I'd not be shocked if the clips aren't even finished in some cases. 

Looks like there's going to be a Captain Marvel reveal tomorrow. Probably be official character pics. Trailer I don't expect for a while yet. Be interesting if they show more than just Larsen in the suit though, I'm intrigued to see Jude Law. And perhaps an official look at the Skrulls, though that's very unlikely. They looked great at SDCC last year.

opw-15891_r.jpg

opw-16473_r.jpg

opw-04698_r.jpg

opw-06977_r.jpg

opw-10279_r.jpg

opw-16329_r-2.jpg

opw-05957_r.jpg

dbr1520_cmp_v710-1032.jpg

opw-09639_r.jpg

opw-09677_r.jpg

They've shown more there than expected. Skrulls don't look as good as they did in the concept art reveal though, which was like a modern reinterpretation of their usual look. Here they're slightly too human still. It's also been revealed the villain will be Talos, who in the comics was a Skrull who

Spoiler

couldn't shape shift

but became a renowned military leader through viciousness and guile. It seems like they'll have made a few changes to him, but he's one of the most well known 'standard' Skrulls.

Jude Law looks the part as Mar-vell.

And it looks like this might also give us the back story of Ronan the Accuser. Ronan hasn't always been villain (usually he's a bit of an anti-hero) and here he's clearly not gone radical yet, that would lead him to being the villain in GotG.

And we get a Nick Fury origin! Marvel's ability with de-aging actors is astoundingly good.

I don't think Larsen looks right still, and the costume isn't quite right imo. It's daft but it misses the sash. Infinity War Easter egg/possible Captain Marvel spoiler...

Spoiler

Interestingly in Infinity War Kull Obsidian, the big bruiser of Thanos' children, appears to be wearing Marvel's sash on his belt...

I'm not the biggest fan, to say the least, of Captain Marvel, but the stuff around the film intrigues me. I'm really interested to see Ronan's fall from grace, you can do very cool stuff with Mar-vell (and they better), a Fury origin is nice and the Skrulls could be really really fun with a lot of potential to be more than 1 and done villains. Captain Marvel is likely the least interesting thing in her own film.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chindie said:

opw-15891_r.jpg

opw-16473_r.jpg

opw-04698_r.jpg

opw-06977_r.jpg

opw-10279_r.jpg

opw-16329_r-2.jpg

opw-05957_r.jpg

dbr1520_cmp_v710-1032.jpg

opw-09639_r.jpg

opw-09677_r.jpg

They've shown more there than expected. Skrulls don't look as good as they did in the concept art reveal though, which was like a modern reinterpretation of their usual look. Here they're slightly too human still. It's also been revealed the villain will be Talos, who in the comics was a Skrull who

Hide contents

couldn't shape shift

but became a renowned military leader through viciousness and guile. It seems like they'll have made a few changes to him, but he's one of the most well known 'standard' Skrulls.

Jude Law looks the part as Mar-vell.

And it looks like this might also give us the back story of Ronan the Accuser. Ronan hasn't always been villain (usually he's a bit of an anti-hero) and here he's clearly not gone radical yet, that would lead him to being the villain in GotG.

And we get a Nick Fury origin! Marvel's ability with de-aging actors is astoundingly good.

I don't think Larsen looks right still, and the costume isn't quite right imo. It's daft but it misses the sash. Infinity War Easter egg/possible Captain Marvel spoiler...

Reveal hidden contents

Interestingly in Infinity War Kull Obsidian, the big bruiser of Thanos' children, appears to be wearing Marvel's sash on his belt...

I'm not the biggest fan, to say the least, of Captain Marvel, but the stuff around the film intrigues me. I'm really interested to see Ronan's fall from grace, you can do very cool stuff with Mar-vell (and they better), a Fury origin is nice and the Skrulls could be really really fun with a lot of potential to be more than 1 and done villains. Captain Marvel is likely the least interesting thing in her own film.

That's not CGI .

That's just Samuel L Jackson.

About 5 episodes into Luke Cage series 2. It's better than the first. Still got some severe bloat going on but it's not as intensely boring as the first. I quite like the new villain, Bushmaster. Absolutely nothing like the comic version that I can recall, but it works pretty well. Also I was surprised the actor isn't actually Jamaican, his accent sounds great to my inexperienced ear.

Hopefully keeps the standard up.

Then onto Iron Fist series 2, which is apparently much better than the first series, if still not great...

• Like 1

Luke Cage series 2 really is a lot better than the first. A lot. Almost to the extent the first series is like a shit prequel.

Mariah is more intriguing, Shades actually has stuff to do and is far far less of a caricature, Misty Knight has a decent enough storyline carrying on from the Defenders, and they've taken a really shit villain in the shape of Bushmaster and made him charismatic and threatening with a decent plot and mixing pretty seamlessly into the gangster framework they had in place already.

It's pretty good. If, as always, padded.

• Like 1

Â