Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

48 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

That's one example from when?

I gave two just from the last 2 days.

6 months ago

If the top of the Gunn tweets looked like this instead would they still be jokes...

lQmdSsr.jpg

If any normal non celeb had posted those tweets they would probably be placed on a sex offenders register & banned from going near schools

If one of my employees had posted those they would be sacked as they would be working in an environment where kids are around.

Sorry don't see how anything he posted is an "edgy joke"

A grown man in his forties opeenly conversing about masturbating over underage kids and multiple tweets about rape / sexual acts with kids isn't just a joke.

But he's a leftie & makes films people like so it must all have been a terrible  misunderstanding.

Edited by LakotaDakota

12 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

6 months ago

If the top of the Gunn tweets looked like this instead would they still be jokes...

lQmdSsr.jpg

If any normal non celeb had posted those tweets they would probably be placed on a sex offenders register & banned from going near schools

If one of my employees had posted those they would be sacked as they would be working in an environment where kids are around.

Sorry don't see how anything he posted is an "edgy joke"

A grown man in his forties opeenly conversing about masturbating over underage kids and multiple tweets about rape / sexual acts with kids isn't just a joke.

But he's a leftie & makes films people like so it must all have been a terrible  misunderstanding.

Kevin Spacey is alleged to have actually assaulted people. It's not comparable.

I don't think you can get put on a register for making shitty jokes. And that is what they are, shock humour shit.

He also wasn't working with kids at the time, not that it matters.

It is just a joke. His background is in doing very dark comedies and shock budget horror stuff. He's not done much different to kind of shit Frankie Boyle has joked about. He wasn't as good at it and he left it behind, and has apologised for it. And as far as I'm aware this was even before he was working for Disney.

Nothing to do with him being a 'leftie' or making films people like. It's people having perspective, understanding context. It's not a shock Disney sacked him, simply because an old story was made into an issue that threatened their brand. Doesn't mean it's right or that Gunn did wrong, and to suggest there's more to it is absurd.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brumerican said:

With any luck.

See the source image

Hmm. Not so sure. I really like Ragnarok, and I really like Waititi, but I just can't see him taking Guardians.

He was allowed to kinda do what he wanted with Thor because that was the black sheep of the MCU, so they have him perimeters and then let him do what he wanted in within them, using his style and tone. Guardians is a very different style and that isn't a low level series. They won't want to change things much. So they'll bring in a jobbing director to just come in and copy the style of Gunn and stick to the script they're given imo.

And in fairness I don't think Waititi would take it either. He's a really good film maker with his own style, I don't see him accepting a 'Just do what we want' style job.

I'd love to see him given another Marvel film though. Probably not something from the current roster though

• Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Thor are probably all done after the next film. If they do Bucky Cap they wouldn't give it to Waititi as it wouldn't fit the tone.
  • Dr Strange is a possibility but that benefits from the slightly weird darker tone that Derrickson brings, and he seems to have that job sewn up.
  • Spider-Man might not be available to Marvel much longer and besides as a flagship character they'd want to keep the corporate tone.
  • Black Widow wouldn't work at all
  • Ant-Man might work but I suspect that they will probably let the current guy round out a trilogy.
  • Black Panther is Coogler's to lose and again, Waititi isn't a good fit.
  • Captain Marvel will be positioned to take a similar role to Cap or Iron Man going forwards so I'd expect that to get the straight corporate style too.

So you'd probably need to give him a new character, which will definitely be coming, but it would need to be the right kind of character. I could see him doing well with something like Captain Britain, where he can do offbeat stuff and have it largely unrelated to anything else (Captain Britain is very much about old school magic stuff, mysticism, folklore and other dimensions).

The other issue though is whether he would want to sign on for a series. I don't think he would, which would also play into whether they'd have him come back and what they would offer him...

But I'd be delighted to have him back.

black widow will be directed by a woman

black panther will be directed by someone who is black

just saying...

i also thought they're at about 75% to leaking nova as the next character, its not just directing either, Gunn wrote the 2 guardians films

I'd guess they'll take whatever Gunn has done for the next script and get someone else to finish it.

I don't know anything about them having said much about Nova but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see him join the universe. They'd already set up the Nova Corps in Guardians 1 and he's a popular character with kids after he was added to a Spider-Man animated series. Only issue is his powers are very similar to Captain Marvel that I can remember (except being able to make wormholes iirc?) and is crazily generic.

3 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

And  Dan Harmon

Yeah, his raping a baby doll video is hilarious......

Oh & the sexual harassment of a writer he was in charge of on Community which he apologised for by saying he had regret & some foggy memories about abusing his position...

Strange how the metoo brigade didn't slaughter him.

Not sure how you fix people politicising something like this.

Edited by LakotaDakota

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/07/2018 at 19:29, Chindie said:

Hmm. Not so sure. I really like Ragnarok, and I really like Waititi, but I just can't see him taking Guardians.

He was allowed to kinda do what he wanted with Thor because that was the black sheep of the MCU, so they have him perimeters and then let him do what he wanted in within them, using his style and tone. Guardians is a very different style and that isn't a low level series. They won't want to change things much. So they'll bring in a jobbing director to just come in and copy the style of Gunn and stick to the script they're given imo.

And in fairness I don't think Waititi would take it either. He's a really good film maker with his own style, I don't see him accepting a 'Just do what we want' style job.

I'd love to see him given another Marvel film though. Probably not something from the current roster though

• Iron Man, Cap, Hulk, Thor are probably all done after the next film. If they do Bucky Cap they wouldn't give it to Waititi as it wouldn't fit the tone.
  • Dr Strange is a possibility but that benefits from the slightly weird darker tone that Derrickson brings, and he seems to have that job sewn up.
  • Spider-Man might not be available to Marvel much longer and besides as a flagship character they'd want to keep the corporate tone.
  • Black Widow wouldn't work at all
  • Ant-Man might work but I suspect that they will probably let the current guy round out a trilogy.
  • Black Panther is Coogler's to lose and again, Waititi isn't a good fit.
  • Captain Marvel will be positioned to take a similar role to Cap or Iron Man going forwards so I'd expect that to get the straight corporate style too.

So you'd probably need to give him a new character, which will definitely be coming, but it would need to be the right kind of character. I could see him doing well with something like Captain Britain, where he can do offbeat stuff and have it largely unrelated to anything else (Captain Britain is very much about old school magic stuff, mysticism, folklore and other dimensions).

The other issue though is whether he would want to sign on for a series. I don't think he would, which would also play into whether they'd have him come back and what they would offer him...

But I'd be delighted to have him back.

Agree with this, Waititi did great with Thor but it had that light hearted background to it. The whole story of Thor in a different planet having to fight “a friend from work” allowed a free and comedic route which Waititi expanded well. Whilst, Guardians has humour, it’s a different kind of humour. Plus it needed a lot more character development and personal feelings than  Ragnorok.

If Disney don’t get the guardians director correct, it could ruin the Guardians part of the franchise. But then again it will still make a massive amount of money, and probably be the final guardians anyway. 

Fights. Fights fights fights.

Fights.

Put on the **** costume. Realise that the power of the Iron Fist isn't limited to one **** hand and is increasingly dumb to limit it to that.

Plus side - Davos becoming the Steel Serpent. Fight scenes look improved.

• 2 weeks later...

Rewatched Black Panther during the week.

Michael B Jordan is excellent, possibly one of the best acted MCU enemies. The shots look great. But I still don’t think it is one of the best Marvel films. If it wasn’t for the race aspect I don’t think it would be so highly rated. 

On 25/07/2018 at 04:16, MrDuck said:

Watched Avengers Ageof Ultron last night. I can't watch Avengers movies without thinking that's Tim Sherwood who is playing Hawkeye!

Managed to get a chair at the big boys table using his one trick before being found out .

The thing with Black Panther is that the race thing is kinda why it's a big deal. Purely as a film, it's a middle of the road MCU outing - good villains, fairly run of the mill plot, ok action. But the race thing is so important as a 'moment' that its always going to elevate it. It's the first blockbuster with a predominantly black cast, with a black director, and pokes at ideas with a focus from a black perspective. It's an important moment.

Personally, rating it purely as a film, it's firmly average in the series, but it's wider context almost certainly makes it the most... 'relevant'... thing Marvel has done.

On 24/08/2018 at 22:14, Chindie said:

The thing with Black Panther is that the race thing is kinda why it's a big deal. Purely as a film, it's a middle of the road MCU outing - good villains, fairly run of the mill plot, ok action. But the race thing is so important as a 'moment' that its always going to elevate it. It's the first blockbuster with a predominantly black cast, with a black director, and pokes at ideas with a focus from a black perspective. It's an important moment.

Personally, rating it purely as a film, it's firmly average in the series, but it's wider context almost certainly makes it the most... 'relevant'... thing Marvel has done.

I get what you are saying but I’d like to judge it as a marvel film, and not be concerned about any connotations... for me that is racism going the other way. Let’s not forget that we had a black “Hero” in Blade back in the nineties. 

Should we not be judging a film on its merits, with colour not even being an aspect? I may be opening a complete can of worms, more outside of this thread, but any film and actor(ress) should be judged on the film and how good it is, not the colour of skin

• Like 1

Â