Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

James Gunn, who directed both Guardians of the Galaxy films and was working on the third, has been sacked by Disney.

This is a fairly odd case. Gunn has become fairly politically vocal on Twitter on the last couple of years (have a guess why...). This seems to have irritated a far right blogger who decided to go through Gunn's history of posts on Twitter, found some old jokes of riskier nature - rape and paedo stuff in the main. This isn't the biggest shock, Gunn's background is in decidedly un-Disney ground and his humour was founded in darker themes. He's had some run ins before with groups that haven't liked some of his work, but that mostly went away with his success with Marvel.

Unfortunately the revealing of the old posts has been too much for Disney and they've binned him. You'd have to have some concern about where Guardians 3 will go now, that has very much been his baby and it's not easily emulated.

Meanwhile the dumb blogger is the same piece of shit that popularised the intensely stupid Pizzagate thing that claimed there was a liberal elite paedophile ring run out of a pizza place. Which lead to a guy going there with a gun. He has half a million Twitter followers, who is now telling that James Gunn is evidence of a Hollywood paedo ring.

I hope Gunn sues him to ****.

Haven’t read what Gunn posted years ago but I find it hard to imagine it’s anything worse than stuff Frankie Boyle or Jimmy Carr say on a daily basis but then I suppose they aren’t working for a family friendly company like Disney. Also goes to show everyone that stuff you deleted from the internet is never truly deleted. 

Not sure why nobody at disney looked through his twitter before hiring him, There are/were hundreds of tweets about rape/underage kids and plenty of "jokes" about other things like 9/11. It's not like these were written when he was 18, he was in his forties.

Once the story started to emerge he seemingly deleted 10,000 old tweets & his blog which contained a story about a monkey masturbating on a child on set making him extremely happy.

These were not private conversations amongst friends or part of a stand-up act, Just hundreds of tweets about rape & kids.

Not sure disney had any choice other than to fire him really

This is the world we live in now. Roseanne had her show cancelled based on one (extremely bad) tweet. It was inevitable that this would happen to Gunn

The stupid thing is, Disney is built on racism and such.

Plus, you've got Downey Jr with his prison/drugs etc... and Depp with his domestic abuse history still rocking about as the face of franchises, so it smacks of picking and choosing to me.

Gunn apologised at the time, and has certainly grown for the better since then. To fire him now when he is a totally changed individual is ridiculous.

Celeb backed campaign to get him reinstated & most of the Guardians actors seem to be defending him as apparantly this is a "cybernazi witch-hunt" ...

Just more left vs right crap.

Left outs right it's fire & brimstone death to all.

Right outs left it's just a joke and people change.

Edited by LakotaDakota

The celebrities probably aren't wrong.

It is an alt-right witch hunt. Gunn pissed off a load of alt right clearings in the woods because he's openly critical of Trump and other unicorns of theirs. One of them, who has some really vile and seemingly sincerely held views of his own (and was the driving force behind nonsense like Pizzagate), decided to nail Gunn and dredged up old bad edgy jokes he used to do, in line with his background of making Troma films.

I do think Disney have made a mistake bowing to it but I understand why, and they won't be able to back down from it regardless of the backlash.

• Like 1

what I find weird is that this is not new. He apologised about it openly and publicly 6 years ago, so what gives now? They seem to be pretty stupid and horrible tweets, but if you were going to sack him, do it 6 years ago. Since then, he's obviously not posted any of that has directed a couple of films and has appeared to be regretful of that episode. So thats why it appears to be a witch-hunt and frankly pretty **** spineless of Disney

• Like 1

We live in a world where top level politicians lose their job because they touched someones knee 15 years ago and people cried about it on twitter.

Wonder if anyone defending Gunn would want him to look after their kids for the weekend.

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

We live in a world where top level politicians lose their job because they touched someones knee 15 years ago

We do?

The current POTUS has said and done much worse than Gunn and still remains in power. There was a show last night which showed an American politician screaming the n word.

Accountability is only for those who can be arsed. I'd say we're at the opposite end of the spectrum now.

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 21:26, Chindie said:

You'd have to have some concern about where Guardians 3 will go now, that has very much been his baby and it's not easily emulated.

With any luck.

See the source image

38 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

We do?

The current POTUS has said and done much worse than Gunn and still remains in power. There was a show last night which showed an American politician screaming the n word.

Accountability is only for those who can be arsed. I'd say we're at the opposite end of the spectrum now.

sun.jpg

32 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

And  Dan Harmon

Yeah I follow Dan Harmon and he says some really bleak shit when he's clearly depressed.

What makes me chuckle is all the far right bots were adding @Netflix to all Jeselnik's old tweets.  I'm pretty sure they've seen his specials.?

Edited by Brumerican

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Wonder if anyone defending Gunn would want him to look after their kids for the weekend.

I don't have kids, thankfully, but I wouldn't give a damn leaving them with him of I did. He told some edgy shitty jokes. He's not Gary Glitter.

• Like 1

Â