Marvel Cinematic Universe

mikeyp102

2 hours ago, ender4 said:

That's already happened for anyone under 30 years old.  Not controversial at all.

Star Wars had 3 sh1tty films 50 years ago, 3 ok-ish films 20 years ago... and 3 films recently which aren't really a cultural phenomenon (except for people who watched the 50 year old films). 

Whereas MCU has had 19 films over the last 10 years, which everyone watched/watches (or is catching up with now), and everyone talks about each time the latest film comes out.

I'm being massively triggered here but i'll focus on the comparison

I'd suggest we'll see a Star Wars movie at least every year for the next decade, and Disney will market them hard. It'll be interesting to see where both series stand in another decade or so.

The Avengers are the poor cousin of the X-Men and the only reason they've gotten so big in the movies is because Marvel didn't have the rights to the X-Men earlier. It'll be interesting to see what Marvel do with the X-Men assuming they eventually get their hands on them. There is only so much they can do with the Avengers moving forward, so an MCU total reboot for the X-Men would be really awesome.

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I'd suggest we'll see a Star Wars movie at least every year for the next decade, and Disney will market them hard. It'll be interesting to see where both series stand in another decade or so.

yes, that will change the comparison massively.  I was only talking about where we are at this point in time, and only for people under 30.

Though i'm not sure all the new Disney Star Wars films are going to be talked about in the same way that each Marvel film is.  I know there is a Solo film coming out this summer, but meh, not heard of anyone excited by it. Whereas we have been talking about Thanos for around the last 5 years.

Edited by ender4
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, ender4 said:

yes, that will change the comparison massively.  I was only talking about where we are at this point in time, and only for people under 30.

Though i'm not sure all the new Disney Star Wars films are going to be talked about in the same way that each Marvel film is.  I know there is a Solo film coming out this summer, but meh, not heard of anyone excited by it. Whereas we have been talking about Thanos for around the last 5 years. 

I guess we'll see how Disney go with it for Star Wars.

Do they end the Skywalker saga there and stick predominantly to one-off movies?

They may try to emulate the success of the MCU a bit with a series of interconnected movies set in the Star Wars universe. It's definitely a successful formula if done well, and i'd argue that Star Wars has enough lore and potential behind it to match the Avengers, even if the overall Marvel universe is a lot bigger once they get the X-Men involved.

2 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I guess we'll see how Disney go with it for Star Wars.

Do they end the Skywalker saga there and stick predominantly to one-off movies?

They may try to emulate the success of the MCU a bit with a series of interconnected movies set in the Star Wars universe. It's definitely a successful formula if done well, and i'd argue that Star Wars has enough lore and potential behind it to match the Avengers, even if the overall Marvel universe is a lot bigger once they get the X-Men involved.

Supposedly there is a Obi-Wan Kenobi movie (or movies) in the making that will start filming as soon as IX is wrapped up.

Can't say I'm overly excited about that.

Jake Gylenhaal is supposedly the front runner to play Mysterio in the Homecoming sequel. Mysterio was another villain Raimi wanted to use in his series, so not the biggest shock to see him being chosen as the villain, but he's an awkward one to do well. I'd be shocked if they did the costume properly, with the fishbowl on his head.

Gylenhaal could be a decent shout for the character though. I could easily see him playing a failed magician. He could do the faltering false showman charm you need to sell the character.

• 3 weeks later...

@Brumerican

Yes, pretty much. The Infinity Gauntlet effectively makes Thanos into an omnipotent being, he can do largely whatever he likes. He could have solved the universe's issue, in his eyes, by increasing the resources of the universe as much as he desired.

Why he didn't do that, is a problem with the script born of the fact the story they've written is a fudge of the actual Infinity Gauntlet storyline from the comics. In the comics Thanos is basically a psychopath that is obsessed and in love with the physical embodiment of Death (who is essentially a female Grim Reaper), and as a sign of his devotion he wipes out half the universe in a **** up version of bringing the missus some flowers.

Because that's properly daft, the writers chose to bin off that whole element of his motivation and fudge in a more believable one, but one that brings it's own problems. Mostly because the Infinity Gauntlet is so powerful it makes issues everywhere - there basically shouldn't have been a fight once Thanos got even 1 or 2 of the stones, because they're so powerful on their own for instance. Instead he has a few fist fights.

There are theories that try to fill the 'why not double, not half?' issue. Thanos is nuts, and he is evil - he is established as the Mad Titan in the films, and he does do cruel stuff because he can (he tortures his 'children', for instance). He may just be drawn to the more cruel, if stupid, choice.

It may also (and this could be a spoiler for the next film) be the case that

Spoiler

He hasn't 'killed' half the universe. He's copied them across to another universe. Iirc there is some basis for this in the comics, that the soul stone (I think) doesn't kill, it just transposes souls elsewhere. So all those that 'died' at the end weren't killed, they were copy pasted into another reality. 

But yes it's a bit of a plot problem.

On 14/05/2018 at 10:58, ender4 said:

That's already happened for anyone under 30 years old.  Not controversial at all.

Star Wars had 3 sh1tty films 50 years ago, 3 ok-ish films 20 years ago... and 3 films recently which aren't really a cultural phenomenon (except for people who watched the 50 year old films). 

Whereas MCU has had 19 films over the last 10 years, which everyone watched/watches (or is catching up with now), and everyone talks about each time the latest film comes out.

I think for anyone who didn't grow up with the original Star Wars movie then yes, MCU is far more 'exciting' nowadays than Star Wars.

However no MCU film will ever eclipse the obsession, fandom and following that the original 3 Star Wars films had or still have to this day. Its just a shame Lucas tainted the franchise with those 3 godawful prequels years ago. 

16 hours ago, Chindie said:

But yes it's a bit of a plot problem.

It kind of destroys the notion that he's a hero in his own story .

One click and he can turn mountains to chocolate .?

11 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I’ve watched very little of the MCU television series’.

Has anyone started watching the new one; Cloak and Dagger. If so any good or is it very “child orientated”?

Cloak and Dagger is supposedly ok so far. Apparently a bit slow. Also it's a show aimed at a teen audience so have that in mind.

The MCU TV stuff has been very hit and miss. And how connected it really is is open for debate (it basically isn't connected). I don't really bother with them anymore. I never got on board with Agents of Shield, the Netflix stuff is all the shop, Agent Carter never really hit it's stride and Inhumans was a bad idea done horrifically badly by all accounts. Ultimately they're all so inconsequential to the overall universe it's hard to care.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Chindie said:

The MCU TV stuff has been very hit and miss. And how connected it really is is open for debate (it basically isn't connected). I don't really bother with them anymore. I never got on board with Agents of Shield, the Netflix stuff is all the shop, Agent Carter never really hit it's stride and Inhumans was a bad idea done horrifically badly by all accounts. Ultimately they're all so inconsequential to the overall universe it's hard to care.

from what ive seen - 

good - daredevil, Jessica Jones, agent carter, punisher

bad - agents of shield, defenders, luke cage, iron fist, legion

still not seen - gifted, runaways, inhumans

they then have new warriors and damage control coming soon too

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

from what ive seen - 

Legion took a couple of episodes to get going and was a bit quirky/arty but I'd say it grew into one of the strongest Marvel shows.

5 hours ago, villa4europe said:

from what ive seen - 

Good - Daredevil, Jessica Jones S1, Punisher

Ok - Agent Carter, Iron Fist

Bad - Agents of Shield, Defenders, Luke Cage

I never saw Inhumans but that was obviously bad, I almost certainly won't watch any of the other stuff.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Legion took a couple of episodes to get going and was a bit quirky/arty but I'd say it grew into one of the strongest Marvel shows.

Legion isn't MCU. It's Fox - it's an X-Men show.

agents of shield for me was too bloated, 20+ episodes per series much of it not really going anywhere

legion i gave up half way through the 2nd episode

surprised you thought iron fist was ok, for me it was boring, mis cast and worse than anything else the fight choreography was shit, should have been mind blowingly awesome martial arts and it was barely bog standard

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

agents of shield for me was too bloated, 20+ episodes per series much of it not really going anywhere

legion i gave up half way through the 2nd episode

surprised you thought iron fist was ok, for me it was boring, mis cast and worse than anything else the fight choreography was shit, should have been mind blowingly awesome martial arts and it was barely bog standard

Iron Fist absolutely wasn't what it should have been, it was miscast, clearly done on the cheap and as such everything that followed was hamstrung, but I didn't think it was outright bad. It wasn't good, by any means, but it wasn't anywhere near as terrible as everyone made out.

I'm a fan of the character mind. I could layout all the ways you'd improve Iron Fist fairly easily without fundamentally doing much different to what they did. In the end they put out something that had a lot of the fundamentals there, just made some bad choices and did it cheap and got something bleh. But it's not outright bad imo.

You'd think Marvel and Netflix have enough dough to have made Iron Fist at least as good as Into The Badlands.

It wasn't even as good as early Power Rangers.

An easy fix would be to have Stark give him a suit so a talented stunt double can take over.

Â