Windows 10 Boot mayhem!!

DeadlyDirk

• 3 years later...

Thread resurrection!

I have a puzzling/amusing/annoying issue.

Was trying to refurb a laptop, but it kept freezing when windows got to the 'copy files' stage, so I thought I'd remove the SATA hard drive, put it in my good PC, do the install, then shove the hard drive back in the problematic laptop.

Oops. Now my good PC won't boot, unless I boot from said SATA hard drive, but when it boots it does it to my original installation on an NVME drive. So PC somehow checks the spinning rust SATA drive to see if it can boot from the NVME drive.

I've tried some fixes with a USB installer, including the DOS prompt and bootrec, but my brain is now melting.

I'm wary of **** it up even more. Any suggestions?

Feel free to take the piss too.

Original laptop is a write off FWIW.

Edited by Anthony
sp

Bit weird it works fine with the other disk in if it's booting to the other one, but have you checked the bios boot order to put you nvme first?

What happens when it fails to boot?

On 04/08/2022 at 17:03, Davkaus said:

Bit weird it works fine with the other disk in if it's booting to the other one, but have you checked the bios boot order to put you nvme first?

What happens when it fails to boot?

It's limpid's fault. Just that I didn't get a notification for your post. 

Anyway, yeah, all fine in bios. In the end I did a system restore which fixed it, but broke a couple of other things. Them's the breaks. 

2 hours ago, Anthony said:

It's limpid's fault. Just that I didn't get a notification for your post. 

Anyway, yeah, all fine in bios. In the end I did a system restore which fixed it, but broke a couple of other things. Them's the breaks. 

He didn't quote you or @ you . You haven't followed to the thread. Not my fault :mrgreen:

I told everyone to stop using Windows.

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/08/2022 at 16:19, Anthony said:

Thread resurrection!

I have a puzzling/amusing/annoying issue.

Was trying to refurb a laptop, but it kept freezing when windows got to the 'copy files' stage, so I thought I'd remove the SATA hard drive, put it in my good PC, do the install, then shove the hard drive back in the problematic laptop.

Oops. Now my good PC won't boot, unless I boot from said SATA hard drive, but when it boots it does it to my original installation on an NVME drive. So PC somehow checks the spinning rust SATA drive to see if it can boot from the NVME drive.

I've tried some fixes with a USB installer, including the DOS prompt and bootrec, but my brain is now melting.

I'm wary of **** it up even more. Any suggestions?

Feel free to take the piss too.

Original laptop is a write off FWIW.

Just seen this but I need to know what you did because it’s going to drive me crazy now. 

When you say you took out the SATA HDD to put into good pc to do the install, what did you mean exactly? 

Edited by Tayls

10 hours ago, Tayls said:

Just seen this but I need to know what you did because it’s going to drive me crazy now. 

When you say you took out the SATA HDD to put into good pc to do the install, what did you mean exactly? 

I put it in my desktop PC, which has ports for like 8 SATA hard drives. I shoved in a USB Win 10 installation drive, then booted from that. It asked me where I wanted to install Windaez and I pointed it to the aforementioned SATA HDD.

Does that help? I don't want you going crazy, any more than the normal level for a Villa fan at least.

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I put it in my desktop PC, which has ports for like 8 SATA hard drives. I shoved in a USB Win 10 installation drive, then booted from that. It asked me where I wanted to install Windaez and I pointed it to the aforementioned SATA HDD.

Does that help? I don't want you going crazy, any more than the normal level for a Villa fan at least.

Ok. So what indication are you seeing that it is booting from the NVME when the HDD is plugged in as well? 

39 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Ok. So what indication are you seeing that it is booting from the NVME when the HDD is plugged in as well? 

So, if I unplugged everything I mentioned above, it wouldn't boot, but, if I plugged the stuff back in, it would boot, but it would boot to my normal Windows installation, with all my normal icons and software installed.

7 minutes ago, Anthony said:

So, if I unplugged everything I mentioned above, it wouldn't boot, but, if I plugged the stuff back in, it would boot, but it would boot to my normal Windows installation, with all my normal icons and software installed.

What does it show if you look at the partitions? It hasn't split across the two has it - ie looking for recovery or anything like that. 

3 minutes ago, Tayls said:

What does it show if you look at the partitions? It hasn't split across the two has it - ie looking for recovery or anything like that. 

Nope, couldn't find a thing. All very weird. There's an explanation somewhere, but I'm **** if I can find it.

Anyway, it's all fine now.

15 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Nope, couldn't find a thing. All very weird. There's an explanation somewhere, but I'm **** if I can find it.

Anyway, it's all fine now.

Man. I’m going to have to try and look into this. 

4 hours ago, Tayls said:

Man. I’m going to have to try and look into this. 

Good luck, but try not to lose your mind! I suspect *something* got overwritten in  whatever the modern version of autoexec.bat is, so it ended up looking for some boot file in the wrong place.

Â