Europe trip

StefanAVFC

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I can tell you after some extensive research in to it, if you havent already booked it, german train ticket prices are head scratchingly weird, try and get the super fast ice train, whoever said salzburg to munich, theres a price for that, or you can get a bayern ticket which is cheaper and travel anywhere in bavaria, including salzburg to munich, most states have something similar (called lander tickets) they also have a ticket called something a schönes wochenende (have a nice weekend) where for i think €44 you get unlimited train travel anywhere in the country and then up to 4 max additional passengers pay €6 each for another ticket, so 5 of you unlimited trains anywhere on the weekend is €68, comparatively normal tickets cologne to frankfurt on a saturday were around €120 per person 

I booked mine on bahn.de (Berlin to Prague)  ..paid £48 for 2 first class tickets ( tbf my son is under 16 so he travelled for free)  .. I thought that was a bargain , even served ice cold Bud (the proper stuff not the American junk )on draft on the journey  

I tried to go Düsseldorf to Hamburg once and they wanted €180 or something daft so it does seem just like the Uk it comes down to how far in advance and what ticket type you can get

On 08/05/2018 at 14:18, fightoffyour said:

I'd put this down to good research into the places I wanted to go, what to do there

this

you'd be amazed at the cheap options you can put together if you do your homework , air passes , trains etc  .. as you say on one hand you don't have the flexibility to stay on in an area you like , but equally if you've done your homework you'll have seen everything you wanted to see  ....

On 08/05/2018 at 14:18, fightoffyour said:

and a bit of luck I suppose

We flew into Tonga  to swim with Humpbacks , it's actually a short island hop to Vava'u which has very little there other than whale watching  , so we allowed  1 day for the whales and 1 reserve day and then bang move on to the next country  ... we met some bloke on our boat who had been stuck in Tonga for 6 days as the weather was too bad for the flights , and had been out 5 days in a  row and not seen one humpback ... we were in the water swimming with 4 of them within an hour of being on the boat , he called us jammy gits and said he hated us :)  , I just like to think it helps to be lucky when you travel :mrgreen:    .....

• Like 1

On 09/05/2018 at 20:58, fightoffyour said:

As an honourary Krakowian I am obliged to tell you that Warsaw is a shithole and Krakow is much better. This is completely true though. There is a nice bit of old town Warsaw left but the rest of it is either a dump and/or skyscrapers. Also, as you'll have seen from Stefan's itinerary, you may have to get to Krakow in order to travel to Prague.

I've been to Krakow before and loved it. 

• Like 1

Been to Krakow a tonne, not part of the trip.

Warsaw is cool, but I'm only there for a gig.

I wanted to come back through Szczecin as I never went but I won't have time.

Â