1st leg pre match

Demitri_C

I just hope Bruce doesn’t go ultra defensive by playing two defensive midfielders (Whelan/Jedinak) which would invite Boro on and immediately hand them the initiative.

Would like to see Bjarnson given the DM role if fit with Grabban up top.

Bruce has got to set the team up with attacking intent as I feel Villa will need to score at least one in the away leg to have a chance of going through to the final.

Edited by striker
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Particularly if they're just wrong... :detect:;) 

Danke! I missed out a draw.  All other numbers are correct :thumb: Fixed now.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Danke! I missed out a draw.  All other numbers are correct :thumb:

Now I'm not saying you have a pro-Whelan agenda here at all...

...but someone has a "40% win ratio" when involved in 4 wins out of 7 games? :detect: 

Edited by bobzy

8 minutes ago, striker said:

I just hope Bruce doesn’t go ultra defensive by playing two defensive midfielders (Whelan/Jedinak) which would invite Boro on and immediately hand them the initiative.

Would like to see Bjarnson given the DM role with Grabban up top.

Bruce has got to set the team up with attacking intent as I feel Villa will need to score at least one in the away leg to have a chance of going through to the final.

Bruce has not started a game all season that included Chester, Terry, Whelan & Jedinak in the starting 11.  They've been on the pitch together 4 times, when Whelan came on against the noses in VP and 3 times when Jedi came on at the noses, at Preston and at Sheff Wed.  We've 3 wins and a draw in those 4 games.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Now I'm not saying you have a pro-Whelan agenda here at all...

...but someone has a "40% win ratio" when involved in 4 wins out of 7 games? :detect: 

:lol: Dagnammit! I could explain how that went wrong* but ... you wouldn't be interested :D   Fixed and thanks again!

* Bjarnason also appeared as a 10 or 11 in 3 other games, so I had to do some manual sums to adjust :oops: 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Bruce has not started a game all season that included Chester, Terry, Whelan & Jedinak in the starting 11.  They've been on the pitch together 4 times, when Whelan came on against the noses in VP and 3 times when Jedi came on at the noses, at Presston and at Sheff Wed.  We've 3 wins and a draw in those 4 games.

Those stats are impressive when together sure enough but hopefully Bruce will continue the trend?

I’m just a little concerned though that due to the obvious importance of the game the manager might pair them?

Just now, striker said:

Those stats are impressive when together sure enough but hopefully Bruce will continue the trend?

I’m just a little concerned though that due to the obvious importance of the game the manager might pair them?

Personally I doubt it, plus bringing on DMs suggests tightening up a game to hold on to what you've got, so it makes sense that a side loaded with defensive subs is probably winning already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah that's really fired up our players when its happened at other grounds 

Well, it definitely happens. Didn't Bent score the goal that sent Sunderland down a few weeks back? After he was getting dogs abuse. Id rather focus on getting behind our players than giving shit to some no mark ex substitute like Adams Traore.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, One For The Road said:

Well, it definitely happens. Didn't Bent score the goal that sent Sunderland down a few weeks back? After he was getting dogs abuse. Id rather focus on getting behind our players than giving shit to some no mark ex substitute like Adams Traore.

It's human nature.  It has to happen.  "I'll show them a thing or two".

Anyhoo, I'll be surprised if it's not this.  Adomah has only started 2 of the last 4 games, albeit the last 2.  The last time he played a full match was the 13th of March against QPR, 10 games ago.

9980073b0297dcf32aca80da64c40e66.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BOF said:

Anyhoo, I'll be surprised if it's not this.  Adomah has only started 2 of the last 4 games, albeit the last 2.  The last time he played a full match was the 13th of March against QPR, 10 games ago.

9980073b0297dcf32aca80da64c40e66.png

Yep, I'd put money on it being that, with possibly Jedinak instead of Whelan. I think Whelan's recent performances though have probably put him back in favour.

The other thing that MIGHT happen is Kodjia starting and grabban on the left. I'd be very surprised, but I can sort of envisage it happening.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Yep, I'd put money on it being that, with possibly Jedinak instead of Whelan. I think Whelan's recent performances though have probably put him back in favour.

The other thing that MIGHT happen is Kodjia starting and grabban on the left. I'd be very surprised, but I can sort of envisage it happening.

Yeah Adomah is the only one I can see being wrong there (with Kodger coming in).  Having looked at the selection stats this season I can not see anyone but Whelan starting at 6.

The referee for the first leg will be Robert Madley.  He has not refereed us this season, although we're unbeaten under his brother Andrew :P  (which you might have caught a glimpse of pre my ninja edit *whistles innocently*)

The referee for the second leg is one Mike Dean.  He has not been in charge of any of our games this season, but I'm sure we're all well aware of him and his demeanour from watching the Premier League.

Saturday 12th May 2018

Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 1st Leg

Middlesbrough v Aston Villa
ROBERT MADLEY
Peter Kirkup and Harry Lennard
Fourth Official: Martin Atkinson

Tuesday 15th May 2018

Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Final 2nd Leg

Aston Villa v Middlesbrough
MICHAEL DEAN
Simon Long and Mark Scholes
Fourth Official: Paul Tierney

7 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If we lose by more than one goal I think its going to be mighty tough to over turn that. The worst case should be we lose by a goal like 2-1. I can't see us winning there but I think if we can escape with a draw we might be able to do it at villa park.

Boro are a good side so if hope there woukd not be any complancy like thwre may have been with derby.

Is the away goals rule in effect for this?

Feeling very nervous already, I would love to come away from the Riverside all square (in some ways, I think I would prefer that than an odd-goal Villa win as I think we would find a way to blow it as clear favourites).

I think Bruce will go;

Johnstone, Elmohamady, Chester, Terry, Hutton, Snodgrass, Jedinak, Hourihane, Adomah, Grealish, Grabban.

Not sure if I agree, not easy to call. 

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Is the away goals rule in effect for this?

15 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I believe not 

11 minutes ago, a m ole said:

nope

Any links to confirm this?

17 minutes ago, limpid said:

Any links to confirm this?

It's never been in use in the football league  playoffs as far as I can remember. It's the advantage of playing at home second for the sides finishing higher. It makes sense and it's a good format. 

It's not listed here: https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/sky-bet-play-offs/playoff-rules--regulations/

Edited by villa89