1st leg pre match

Demitri_C

Picks itself i think. Boro arent a big side.. their strength is their speed and mobility in midfield. If Bikir is fit i would play him but hes in doubt. 

I have a sneaky suspicion that Bruce will play Mile and Whelan in the first leg with Grealish. 

----------------------------Johnstone-------------------------

Elmohamady------Terry------Chester-------Hutton

----------------------Whelan-----------Hourihane----------

------------------------------Grealish---------------------------

Snodgrass--------------------------------------Adomah

-----------------------------Grabban--------------------------

Potential Sub changes:

Kodjia on for Adomah - Grabban central and Kodjia wide left. 

Onomah for Whelan - give us more impedus if we are behind... or if we are ahead Mile for Hourihane to shut the game down. 

Kodjia is not ready to start and i think hes been his best when hes come off the bench against tiring players. Gave us a spark. Hogan has been awful.. i would even have RHM ahead of him. 

Adomah against his former club.. i think he will be up for it. He will also help out Hutton contain Traore who has speed. Kodjia will just leave Hutton all alone. 

We also have a not so secret weapon.  Agnew. He will know Boro inside out. 

Edited by KSV
  • Like 1

Saturday is so far away. I will be trying to get tickets for the second leg and the Final  ( I cant imagine us not being there) 2 days before me and Mrs T go on holiday

What a way to start my holiday with The Villa back in the prem. Or two weeks before I have to face work mates

We can beat Borough over two games and as for Fulham even the noses beat them 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Is it Saturday yet?

This week will go so slowly with the suspense of this. I’m flying to Ibiza Friday for a family holiday, and I don’t think I’ve ever been gutted to be going on holiday!!

I’m sure Bruce will look to keep it tight first leg, and beat them at VP. Although, I’m sure we could outplay them at the Riverside and at VP. 

Well you'll be pleased to know that after a wet and cold Spring here on the island, this week the weather is improving so should be nice on the weekend. 

Also, there's a few of us Villa fans going to watch the game on Saturday evening if you can get away from the missus. ;)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s a really tough line up to choose and I don’t envy Steve, but I think I would go:

Johnstone

Elmo        Terry       Chester        Hutton

Bjarnasson

Snoddy    Hourihane   Grealish  Adomah

Grabban

But I was so tempted to put Kodjia on instead of Adomah... I just think Adomah deserves a chance against the side that ditched him when they went up. Pay them back Albert!

Possibly stronger with kodija for grabban, but I think Bruce will want 2 defensive midfielders away at Boro, then have a go at them at home.

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Possibly stronger with kodija for grabban, 

If it was the Kodjia of last season that would be right, but unfortunately hes not.  Grabban is scoring goals and deserves his chance.

• Like 1

Pulisball vs Bruceball. Should be two tight games, with the decision likely coming down to which team doesn't screw up at set-piece time. It's tough to feel good going into this!

The headless chicken is pretty much nailed on to come back and haunt us :unsure:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, villakram said:

Pulisball vs Bruceball. Should be two tight games, with the decision likely coming down to which team doesn't screw up at set-piece time. It's tough to feel good going into this!

The headless chicken is pretty much nailed on to come back and haunt us :unsure:

This is why Whelan doesn't play for me. Decent enough but always likely to drop a clanger.

In a tight tie like this that could be suicide!

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I'd rather it be a 1 game semi final with 3rd and 4th being at home on a Saturday or Sunday, followed by the final the week later. Seems way stretched out for 3 games. 

Ill see what I can do ...:)

• Haha 1

So, if we stop Assombalonga, traore, and downing, they are pretty toothless?  If it's typical Pulis, they get the ball up top pretty quickly.  Is this mostly over the top?  or on the ground?  Most assists come from Downing and Traore which might mean they prefer to attack up the wing and cross it in to a big man.  Anybody watch them enough to know?

On 06/05/2018 at 20:29, turvontour said:

I cant see us being dead and buried after the first leg. Have we even conceded 3 goals in a game this season, maybe once or twice?

But we have scored 4 a fair few times.

We conceded three against Cardiff and QPR this season... I think that's it. So just twice. It's good that we haven't conceded more than three all season! :) (So far!) :s

8 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

It’s a really tough line up to choose and I don’t envy Steve, but I think I would go:

Johnstone

Bjarnasson

Grabban

But I was so tempted to put Kodjia on instead of Adomah... I just think Adomah deserves a chance against the side that ditched him when they went up. Pay them back Albert!

Nice team selection, Alan. : ) Aha. It's exactly the same as the one I thought of last night. It's very tempting to go withJedinak as he's tough, very experienced and wins lots of headers but Bjarnasson has lots of energy and has been great in the last few months.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Johnstone

Bjarnasson

Grabban

Love this selection. But IMO I would go for Jedi over Bjamason, there is enough strike power without the Thor. Jedi could cut out a lot of the play before it reaches the back 4 

• Like 2