Villatalk loads incredibly slowly - or simply displays a single ad

TB

Question

For the past 48 hours, Villatalk has been very slow to respond. Using latest version Firefox / Chrome / Edge  on two different Win 10 Pro 64-bit version 1709 computers - cookies & caches cleared. I can watch the browser telling me which additional websites it's accessing slowly enough to see every single web address. I'm assuming most of these are ad-related.

When the page has loaded (finally!), clicking the 'Next' button either brings me to a totally blank page or a page merely showing a single ad. Clicking the 'Back' button in the browser once generally gets me to a page one step beyond where I wanted to be - e g. page 8 when I was on page 6 and wanted to move to page 7.

Every other website I access behave normally and loads quickly. Any suggestions?

Edited by TB
spelling

4 hours ago, villaglint said:

Will do. 

I just meant that Villatalk still loads up just with the ad at the top (as it's supposed to be) rather than it being a blank page with only the Ad showing. 

Isn't that how it's always worked?

23 minutes ago, limpid said:

Isn't that how it's always worked?

Yes it is, I've confused matters with my initial poor language. I was trying to say it's the same Ad at the top of the page each time that is on occasion stealing the page (ie blank page with Ad only). 

Ps page stealing hasn't happened since the earlier messages but it's been the same Ad all day. Getting more and more dubious that I am the 1 millionth visitor! 

• Thanks 1

UPQS1xC.png

H3aPLu4.png

These are the two I keep getting. I don’t get any other ads apart from these two and the site still hangs for about 5-8 seconds when changing pages. As reported earlier, the ads did try to take over a new page for themselves but that has stopped since yesterday. 

I’m using safari on iOS 11.3.1 on iPhone 7. 

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

These are the two I keep getting. I don’t get any other ads apart from these two and the site still hangs for about 5-8 seconds when changing pages. As reported earlier, the ads did try to take over a new page for themselves but that has stopped since yesterday. 

I’m using safari on iOS 11.3.1 on iPhone 7. 

Thanks. The ads are from whoever is paying the most. That's not in my control.

Can you elaborate on the delay loading pages as no-one reported that previously. And please follow the steps in red at the top of the forum - particularly trying on another network or device.

• Like 1

Pages normally load quickly on VT but since these ads starting popping up the last few days it seems to have slowed it down when changing pages on VT. Either going forward a page in a thread, opening a thread, going back a page, going from one forum back to homepage. It’s every time you change a page no matter which page/forum section you click on.

It’s not breaking the site or anything serious, it’s just a minor delay in loading the page, instead of loading up straight away as normal instead it loads up the background colour blocks of the page layout, pauses for about 5-8 seconds and then loads up images/text etc... and then finally at the top of the page the rogue advert pops up in the usual spot. I’m not getting any other adverts other than the two I posted. I haven’t got any other devices but I will try to replicate on the chrome browser under same conditions (iOS 11.3.1 mobile browser).

Only on VT, other sites are working fine so I don’t think it’s related to personal internet speeds or anything like that. Not a massive issue Limpid, the worst thing has been fixed (Ad no longer opening a new page for itself), it’s literally the little delay in loading a page now :thumb:

Edited by Ingram85
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Pages normally load quickly on VT but since these ads starting popping up the last few days it seems to have slowed it down when changing pages on VT. Either going forward a page in a thread, opening a thread, going back a page, going from one forum back to homepage. It’s every time you change a page no matter which page/forum section you click on.

It’s not breaking the site or anything serious, it’s just a minor delay in loading the page, instead of loading up straight away as normal instead it loads up the background colour blocks of the page layout, pauses for about 5-8 seconds and then loads up images/text etc... and then finally at the top of the page the rogue advert pops up in the usual spot. I’m not getting any other adverts other than the two I posted. I haven’t got any other devices but I will try to replicate on the chrome browser under same conditions (iOS 11.3.1 mobile browser).

Only on VT, other sites are working fine so I don’t think it’s related to personal internet speeds or anything like that. Not a massive issue Limpid, the worst thing has been fixed (Ad no longer opening a new page for itself), it’s literally the little delay in loading a page now :thumb:

I think this might only be affecting you (but if anyone else is getting it, speak up).

These adverts aren't rogue - what makes you think that they are? Is it just that they only appear after the delay? Can you scroll down while they are still loading?

Please try another internet connection and another device so that I can try and narrow down what the problem is. It's up to you, but I've got no chance of fixing it if I can't replicate it and can't get those affected to try things.

16 minutes ago, limpid said:

I think this might only be affecting you (but if anyone else is getting it, speak up).

These adverts aren't rogue - what makes you think that they are? Is it just that they only appear after the delay? Can you scroll down while they are still loading?

Please try another internet connection and another device so that I can try and narrow down what the problem is. It's up to you, but I've got no chance of fixing it if I can't replicate it and can't get those affected to try things.

I doubt very much it’s exclusive to me, my issues sound exactly the same as already reported in this topic just that different users explain things in different ways and also not a lot of users actually speak out about the issues to try and help you.

I simply meant rogue as in the sense that they are the ones causing the issues, not that they are malicious or anything. 

Then there is no point reporting issues 99% of the time then is there as not many people are able to follow such a specific and stringent set of guidelines to help resolve the issue. This is about reporting issues, the issue is reported. It’s not the users job to micro manage the issues. Luckily the issue isn’t that bad and will more than likely disappear over time as ads get replaced. 

The ads say copyright of prizeworld? Can’t you just turn off any ads related to that company? 

26 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s not the users job to micro manage the issues. Luckily the issue isn’t that bad and will more than likely disappear over time as ads get replaced. 

Well we're **** then, because running this site isn't my job either :) You are probably right that it will sort itself out.

23 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

The ads say copyright of prizeworld? Can’t you just turn off any ads related to that company? 

No. we get feeds of adverts from ad networks. I have no control over individual adverts or advertisers. As I said before, they are getting shown because they are paying the most for your profile. I'm not getting them, but I expect my advertising profile doesn't send me much Apple stuff. I suspect that you won't get these unless you are on an iphone.

I have the 1/3 screen covered, video adverts on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S7 (I think..)) - it causes a freeze of a few seconds, and it's very hard to pin-point the "X" in the top right corner.  It always wants to play the sounds of the ad over anything I'm doing on the phone too. 

Doesn't bother me too much, but thought I'd say that I'm seeing it too. 

On top of the above issues, I am now being continually redirected to one of several 'you have viruses' websites that are taking over the entire browser.

This is on Chrome on Android.

To be fair, I'm thinking of paying for the ad-free site again, but VT really is pretty much unusable for me right now.

6 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

On top of the above issues, I am now being continually redirected to one of several 'you have viruses' websites that are taking over the entire browser.

This is on Chrome on Android.

To be fair, I'm thinking of paying for the ad-free site again, but VT really is pretty much unusable for me right now.

I am getting the same this morning too.

Still getting almost continual browser-hijacking virus warning ads. The site is really unusable at the moment for me. Took me three attempts to even get far enough to post this!

Edited by Lichfield Dean