Australian Football

Hornso

3 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Blimey, Iniesta being linked with a move to the A-League.

That would be nearly as big a coup for the league as when Heskey came down under.

To get around FFP chongqing offered him €29m and to buy 6m bottles of his wine per year

Has any club on oz got that kind of money? Not sure even the city lot could wrangle it

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

To get around FFP chongqing offered him €29m and to buy 6m bottles of his wine per year

Has any club on oz got that kind of money? Not sure even the city lot could wrangle it

Well Melbourne City are owned by the same bunch that own Man City.

I think the rules here are pretty flexible when it comes to what they call "marquee signings" - FFA even given money to clubs to assist with theses sort of signings.

But I'd be astonished if Iniesta came here. Could surely only happen as a lifestyle choice by the player himself, rather than a financial or footballing decision.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Any league where the league winner isn't the team that finishes top of the **** league is a joke.

Should look at Belgian league rules. They have play-offs for everything :D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

People seem to be very upset about the A-league missing out on a big name striker who last had a decent haul of goals 9 years ago. Perhaps they should go for Gabby instead?

21 hours ago, MrDuck said:

People seem to be very upset about the A-league missing out on a big name striker who last had a decent haul of goals 9 years ago. Perhaps they should go for Gabby instead?

The mainstream Australian press wouldn't be able to spell or pronounce Agbonlahor, much more comfortable with Torres.

Edited by Hornso
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Slams league but willing to talk to 3 other teams in the league about signing

Sounds like a dick

Not really - he's said the league is stupid as his team "won" it, but finished 24 points behind the team which topped the table.  Hardly slagging the league off.

36 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not really - he's said the league is stupid as his team "won" it, but finished 24 points behind the team which topped the table.  Hardly slagging the league off.

It is fecking stupid. Same system in the futsal league I play in. We sneaked in 4th, miles off the top 3... won our semi final and next week could be crowned champions if we win against a team that scored 12 more points than us over the season. So I don't want to complain too much about the system right now ?

Nothing wrong with finals or playoff systems, "Cometh the hour, cometh the man".

Disappointed not to get Torres, best player to come since David Villa.

It's not a marketing dream, as mentioned we have a salary cap, we've still managed to attract names like Yorke, Del Piero, Villa and Broich.

Better than a lot of European countries.

On 11/07/2018 at 09:08, Hornso said:

The mainstream Australian press wouldn't be able to spell or pronounce Agbonlahor, much more comfortable with Torres.

Sounds like a job for Lucy Zelic if i've ever seen one.

5 hours ago, Hornso said:

Usain Bolt possibly signing for an A-League club. ? (not Bolt, the league)

You'd imagine the Mariners play exclusively on the counter attack now. Imagine trying to deal with that as a defender!

• Like 1

On 12/07/2018 at 22:51, MrDuck said:

It is fecking stupid. Same system in the futsal league I play in. We sneaked in 4th, miles off the top 3... won our semi final and next week could be crowned champions if we win against a team that scored 12 more points than us over the season. So I don't want to complain too much about the system right now ?

Well the 'grand final' only has value if you give it value. Personally I value the league winners plate over the toilet seat which is just a cup final trophy for a 2-3 game cup comp.   

2 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Well the 'grand final' only has value if you give it value. Personally I value the league winners plate over the toilet seat which is just a cup final trophy for a 2-3 game cup comp.   

Well the media certainly only values the grand final!

We won our futsal championship this week, but I think a better word might be "stole"!

Â