Australian Football

Hornso

Bolt is asking for a $3m contract :crylaugh:to sign for Central Coast Mariners, who in turn have made a counter offer of $150.000.

Even at $150.000 that is a ridiculous amount to pay for a celebrity (however famous) to pretend to be a footballer in a bush league.

I imagine they will get it back easily through media coverage and commercial revenue, but still.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Bolt is asking for a $3m contract :crylaugh:to sign for Central Coast Mariners, who in turn have made a counter offer of $150.000.

Even at $150.000 that is a ridiculous amount to pay for a celebrity (however famous) to pretend to be a footballer in a bush league.

I imagine they will get it back easily through media coverage and commercial revenue, but still.

Just came in here to make this point. Ludicrous.

I gave him props above for trying to make it in another sport. But if he really wants to play football he should be accepting whatever professional deal he can get!

$3m contract is a ludicrous demand for somebody who isn't a footballer. He'd be on about £500 a week in the English leagues, if anything.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

He'd be on about £500 a week in the English leagues, if anything.

A player with his ability would be. Usain Bolt wouldn't be.

I'm not saying he should be on $3m, or any other specific figure, but it's undeniable he's going to be bringing money into the club through tickets and merch. Having Usain Bolt at the club is huge.

It certainly appears to undermine the efforts he's making to be signed for a club on his own merits rather than for his name alone, though. And how he could expect to join without completely alienating his teammates is beyond me. A retired sprinter turns footballer at 31, has more money than the rest of the squad put together, and asks for a record breaking salary, despite clearly being a very poor footballer? Who the **** thought this would work?

It's a circus, but the club knew what kind of laughing stock they were getting involved in when they gave him a trial. What makes it all the more laughable is the coach has pretty much openly said he doesn't want or need him.

“You have a look at our front line today and you wonder whether he could get into any of those positions. Wouldn’t you?” Mulvey said.

Yet the club have offered him a deal anyway <_<

Edited by Davkaus

15 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

A player with his ability would be. Usain Bolt wouldn't be.

Well that was my point.

Obviously he'll command higher wages because of his profile. But there's a limit to that. Someone worth £500 in ability isn't worth $3 million 

That gap is too big no matter how famous he is.

Imagine the dressing room reaction to him being paid that much

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well that was my point.

Obviously he'll command higher wages because of his profile. But there's a limit to that. Someone worth £500 in ability isn't worth $3 million 

That gap is too big no matter how famous he is.

Imagine the dressing room reaction to him being paid that much

You maybe right Stevo but it’s also possible that his world class agents have a good idea of the kind of revenue increase he can bring to the club and what kind of percentage of that he should expect to receive. 

For example I’ve found myself watching highlights of his couple of games. Watching Australian football is a new low even for me so it kind of highlights the pulling power of his name and the intrigue of seeing the worlds fastest human in history playing the only sport that really matters. I’m sure the viewing figures have gone through the roof and with it the sponsorship opportunities. None of which will have been lost by the agents arriving at this number. 

To your last point I think dressing room togetherness goes out the window with these kind of freak deals see also Beckham MLS. It’s just whether the club thinks they have more to gain than lose really. 

Edit - a quick YT check shows those goals have been viewed 3m times and that just the bigger channels 

Edited by villaglint

23 minutes ago, villaglint said:

For example I’ve found myself watching highlights of his couple of games. Watching Australian football is a new low even for me so it kind of highlights the pulling power of his name and the intrigue of seeing the worlds fastest human in history playing the only sport that really matters. I’m sure the viewing figures have gone through the roof and with it the sponsorship opportunities. None of which will have been lost by the agents arriving at this number. 

To your last point I think dressing room togetherness goes out the window with these kind of freak deals see also Beckham MLS. It’s just whether the club thinks they have more to gain than lose really. 

Edit - a quick YT check shows those goals have been viewed 3m times and that just the bigger channels 

Even if that was the case, I don't think the club is going to be making a fortune off the back of him. He's a freak of the week, I am sure people will tune in for a game and maybe even two but that is it. He won't sell jerseys, he won't increase the profile of the league. He cannot play football. Who wants to watch some clown chase his first touch every week?

Even Del Piero didn't earn $3m.

23 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Even if that was the case, I don't think the club is going to be making a fortune off the back of him. He's a freak of the week, I am sure people will tune in for a game and maybe even two but that is it. He won't sell jerseys, he won't increase the profile of the league. He cannot play football. Who wants to watch some clown chase his first touch every week?

Even Del Piero didn't earn $3m.

If the club/league isn’t going to be making money off the back of him then they aren’t going to pay him $3m are they. 

For what it’s worth if he’s capable of maintaining a place in the team (I don’t know team well  enough to know if that’s the case) then he absolutely will sell shirts and absolutely will raise the profile of the league I am sure he already has. 

How many people worldwide have heard of Del Piero vs how many have heard of Bolt? 

2 hours ago, villaglint said:

The difference is that Beckham is a footballer. He was the best player in that Galaxy team by a mile when he signed. That’s along with his huge profile. 

Bolt will be commanding vastly higher wages than the entire squad, probably put together. And he’d probably be amongst the worst players. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The difference is that Beckham is a footballer. He was the best player in that Galaxy team by a mile when he signed. That’s along with his huge profile. 

Bolt will be commanding vastly higher wages than the entire squad, probably put together. And he’d probably be amongst the worst players. 

That is all true and a completely valid point. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

wasnt Landon Donovan in the same squad?

The Australian Football Federation are stepping in to try and help. They desperately want this deal to happen as they know it puts a rocket under the A-League's profile. I'd be surprised if a deal doesn't happen.

Not sure how pissed off the rest of the squad would be to be honest. It's a total one-off situation, and wages would be paid by a third-party rather than the club. Every player stands to gain something from increased crowds and millions more people becoming interested in their club. I'm sure a lot of them quite fancy being able to say they play with Bolt, otherwise the best they can do is say they play with McCormack :)

So will he have a guarantied starting spot in his contract?

Imagine the sponsors who'll be paying for this will want him getting exposure as much as possible.

It does kinda reek of Michael Jordan's Baseball experiment.

Â