Australian Football

Hornso

8 hours ago, Zatman said:

Would Cahill not be Australia greatest ever national team player? Played 4 world cups scored in 3, got the late winner vs Syria to bring you there this time and seemed score big goals for you guys

Also holds the national goalscoring record

Arguably, yes.

Some might say so, but some still consider Harry Kewell to be our greatest. It all depends on what people take into account, as I don't think there is an official sash and crown to go with the title.

Other contenders could be non goal scorers, such as Schwarzer, or Bozza pre self destruction. Maybe even Jedi might be considered by some.

Cahill in his day was effective, but he loses points from me for performing goal celebrations not because he was overcome with emotion of scoring, or that he has helped his country progress further, but so some corporation sponsoring him could make more money.

He couldn't give a rats for his country, its all for himself. This for me forfeits him as our greatest, as he chose to represent corporations over our country.

Edited by AJ
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

Would Cahill not be Australia greatest ever national team player? Played 4 world cups scored in 3, got the late winner vs Syria to bring you there this time and seemed score big goals for you guys

Also holds the national goalscoring record

Certainly the most impressive record. Not even close to the talent that Viduka or Kewell had for example, but made up for it with a massive work rate. As you say, scored some very important goals.

He's been way past his best for at least 5 years though - hell, last year he was kept out of the Melbourne City team by some pretty poor strikers, the best of whom was Ross McCormack. But as AJ says, he'll flog anything for a bit of cash, even his goal celebrations, which hasn't especially endeared him to a lot of people.

There was plenty of talk that he only made it into the squad for Russia because of the insistence of the team sponsor Caltex, so they could run with their Cahilltex promotion!

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 3

On 04/09/2018 at 16:50, MrDuck said:

Dear god, despite Tim Cahill retiring after the world cup, they're digging him up to play in a farewell match in November against Lebanon, in Sydney. 

Just let it go people!

It's only 5 minutes and they've done it before for players in the past. Let the fans show their appreciation for what he has done on the field for Australia.

1 hour ago, Hornso said:

It's only 5 minutes and they've done it before for players in the past. Let the fans show their appreciation for what he has done on the field for Australia.

At least they won't do this. Creating a living room in the centre circle a la Wesley Sneijder.

Wesley.jpg

I remember years back Paul Okon was massively rated, think he had a good few seasons in Italy but was pretty poor in the premier league for Boro and Leeds. Also never played in a WC, part of the 98-2002 lost generation of Bozzy, Tobin, Ned Zelic, Graham Arnold (now manager), Auerlio Vidmar.

Randomly I watched that infamous Iran second leg game in 1997 on YT a few weeks back. Australia should've won the match about six nil, battered Iran but missed so many chances. Iran's first goal was clearly offside.

Kewell was brilliant at Leeds, one of the best attacking players in the premier league at the time.

Never got to same level at Liverpool, remember him being injured for most of the season and got him fit in time for the cup finals where he lasted 20 minutes before limping off.

I would say he's best player Australia have produced though.

15 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Craig Johnston, despite never playing for Australia, was a good player.

He was. It's weird, he's regarded as a great Australian player, but he was born in South Africa and played for England u-21s!

15 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Kewell was brilliant at Leeds, one of the best attacking players in the premier league at the time.

Never got to same level at Liverpool, remember him being injured for most of the season and got him fit in time for the cup finals where he lasted 20 minutes before limping off.

I would say he's best player Australia have produced though.

I think Bosnich and perhaps Schwarzer were better in their position than Kewell was in his. Kewell had the talent, but I think he bottled it on the big occasions. He also loses points for insisting in an interview once that his surname was pronounced "Kool" ?

Edited by MrDuck

Bozzy never really played enough for Australia. Think at the time he was focusing more on us and then Man. United and then the injuries/off field issues started.

I agree Schwarzer played massive part in getting Australia to 2006 world cup so he could be contender.

Kewell did score the goal that got you into the knock outs in that tournament.

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/australia-in-battle-with-england-for-rising-star-robertson

Australia in battle with England for rising star Robertson

A tug-of-war has erupted between Australia and England for rising star and Manchester City rookie Alex Robertson, who is making waves in English football at the age of just 15.

Such is the intensity of competition for the allegiance of the Scotland-born but Australia-raised midfielder, that Australia coach Graham Arnold took the unprecedented step of inviting him to join his Turkey-based camp for Socceroos present - and future - earlier this month.

Football Federation Australia received a letter back from City claiming that Robertson - whose father Mark and grandfather Alex both played for the green and gold - was injured.

He was also offered the chance to represent Australia at the AFC Under-16 Championship, which kicks off on Thursday in Kuala Lumpur.

Again, the FFA drew a blank with fears mounting that his courtship with England - for whom he claimed his first two caps in August at Under-16 level - could lead to a committed relationship.

The Three Lions coach Kevin Betsy has been assiduously wooing Robertson, who scored the winner against Turkey in last month’s UEFA Development Tournament.

But Luke Casserly, FFA’s head of national performance and a former teammate of Mark Robertson at national team and club level, is fighting to turn his gaze back to Australia.

“We’ve been constant contact with his father (Mark) and he was invited into the camp in Turkey and also to Malaysia with the Joeys,” Casserly said.

“He’s an exceptional prospect and we’re doing all we can to get him to commit with us in the future.

“The idea of him coming to Turkey was to show him, were he to choose to play for Australia, what that pathway would involve and where he could end up.

“We got a letter from City saying he was injured but there was no medical report or explanation of the injury.

“Reading between the lines I feel the family are a bit reluctant to commit right now to any nation in particular.”

Robertson is also eligible to play for Scotland and Peru, courtesy of his mother.

He can be capped at youth level for any of the four countries, his allegiance only becoming binding when he represents one of them at senior level in an official match.

“I feel they’re (his family and advisers) cooling their heels a bit right now and deciding on what’s the right path,” Casserly said.

“We’ve gone to great lengths already to show him highly we regard him - but ultimately the decision is down to him.”

Robertson was blooded by NPL club Hakoah, formerly coached by his father, but left with the family for the UK over three years ago.

So eye-catching was his talent that he joined Manchester United’s youth ranks only for eternal enemies City to snatch him from under their noses 11 months back, after the Red Devils dallied over a formal contract offer.

Family friend and leading Australian player agent Ante Alilovic believes Robertson has been allowed to slip through the system and is “feeling more love from England than Australia”.

“He’s been flying at City, scoring goals and getting man of the matches,” Alilovic said.

“The England junior ranks are very powerful now. They’ve won the Under-20s and 17s, and in Alex they’ve got a box-to-box player who was really overlooked here because coaches are scared to take the risk.

“Previously, he only wanted to play for Australia now it’s not so cut and dried.

“England are constantly in touch, offering him help with anything and everything and are showing him the love.

“I don’t think he’s getting anything like that from Australia.

“He says his heart is a bit torn but Australia is still his pride and joy and he wants to play for them.”

But Casserly disputes that Robertson has been allowed to drift away from the national team, insisting his current ties to England could be as much to do with logistics as anything else.

“Trevor Morgan, the Joeys head coach, has had a number of conversations with Alex directly and I’ve spoken a lot with his father, who I consider a mate,” Casserly said.

“We’re not there on the spot and it’s easier for England, and maybe more suitable for Manchester City, for him to be going into camps at St George’s Park rather than flying to the other side of the world.

“Unfortunately for us, a player like that could make a big difference in qualifying for a World Cup. But we’ll keep plugging away at this.

“I’ve been watching Alex play since he was eight. He went to Westfield’s Sports High, and we know everything about him and we’re very keen to have him play for Australia.

“Hopefully in time, when it becomes crucial for senior football, he’ll choose Australia.”

It’s understood that no less than Michael Owen, the former England, Liverpool and Manchester United striker turned player agent, currently represents the youngster.

Alex first came to Australia aged five after dad Mark’s professional career in the UK - at clubs like Swindon, Dundee, St Johnstone and Stockport - wound down.

“He’s certainly not one who’s slipped through the cracks,” Casserly said.

“He’s a very confident boy who sees and understands the game very well.

“He’s very mature for his age and has an excellent understanding of the game.

“He’s a midfielder who has that ability to score goals as well. He also has an excellent passing range and is a very talented prospect.

“He looks good but he is still very young and there’s a long way to go.”

The hope is he will make the journey with Australia.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Usain Bolt supposedly angry he's being forced to do a doping test by the A-League.

Can't see why he should be as it must be something he's very used to.

Unless he has partaken in some recreational substances, but if he has I'm sure it will be swept under the carped.

Usain Bolt shocked by surprise doping tests as he chases A-League contract

The superstar is still attracting the attention of doping authorities

The world's fastest man is still being chased for drug tests with Usain Bolt left less than impressed after being handed a notice by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority.

On trial with A-League side Central Coast Mariners as he looks to become a professional footballer after retiring from athletics in 2017, Bolt is currently not officially tied to any club or sport.

Despite that fact, he's still caught the attention of authorities who want to make sure the superstar isn't taking any substances he shouldn't be.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/usain-bolt-shocked-by-surprise-doping-tests-as-he-chases-a/1acwblyk5hdk51of038kgttb2f

Â