Australian Football

Hornso

Well if league is set-up that way then thats how winners are decided and its known to people before time

Honestly surprised Premier League hasnt brought in a play-off system to generate more money

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Well if league is set-up that way then thats how winners are decided and its known to people before time

Honestly surprised Premier League hasnt brought in a play-off system to generate more money

Personally I think the league should be just that - a league. Then they should run a separate knockout competition and include the top team from each state league.

But the A-League is run by a pack of knobs, so......

It's how our sporting culture is out here. Every sport has finals and of course given the importance given to them it brings in lots of corporate dollars.

Of course the team that finishes on top of the table should win the league, same with all the other sports, but a fair competition isn't the priority. Money is.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Zatman said:

Well there are two trophies given out, one for winning the league and another for winning the 'finals' playoffs. 

The finals series brings in the neutrals (including the media) who only pay attention to the sport in Australia for those couple of weeks a year and then not again until a World Cup.

For the week in week out fans I think most would prefer to win the league winners trophy than the finals trophy. 

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

Arzani signs for Man City. Rumoured to be being loaned on to Celtic.

Looked ok at the World Cup

Hopefully he gets some playing time at Celtic. I think Australian's would like Tom Rogic to move on from Celtic to push himself a bit more.

3 hours ago, Newry_Villan said:

I like Rogic, wouldn't mind us taking a punt on him if he was to ever become available.

I think he'd blow up VT as he can divide opinion. He has games where he looks an unplayable, world beater and then other games where he's not involved at all. :P

Aussie who couldn't cut it at Melbourne Victory has signed for the clowns...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news/aussie-midfielder-signs-for-birmingham-city-500142

Former Melbourne Victory midfielder Cameron McGilp has signed for English Championship club Birmingham City.

McGilp has agreed to terms with City after trialing for the club.

The 20-year-old was released by Melbourne Victory in May.

• Like 1

Back in Brisbane, so hoping to see some football this year.

No more Thomas Broich, but at least we got..ahem... Brett Holman. ?

On 14/08/2018 at 10:53, AJ said:

Back in Brisbane, so hoping to see some football this year.

No more Thomas Broich, but at least we got..ahem... Brett Holman. ?

Do you?

I actually don't mind a bit of Holman.

Always had an honest work rate.

What are the crowd turnouts like in BrisVegas?

I enjoy the crowd atmosphere more than the football itself down here in Melbourne, that said I've only ever been to one game, the local derby.

2 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

Do you?

I actually don't mind a bit of Holman.

Always had an honest work rate.

What are the crowd turnouts like in BrisVegas?

I enjoy the crowd atmosphere more than the football itself down here in Melbourne, that said I've only ever been to one game, the local derby.

Crowds are pretty good.

Not massive, but the atmosphere is quite lively. They play out of Lang Park which is a strong rugby league bastion. In the past, I have been there to watch rugby  and to see the Roar, and the atmosphere between the two sports is very different. I would say the Roar fans tend to take it less seriously and are out to have a bit more fun, as opposed to parking their butt on a plastic seat and watching cross country wrestling.

The new season doesn't kick off until October, and I haven't been there since 2012. Hopefully its still the same, because I remember it as a good day out.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear god, despite Tim Cahill retiring after the world cup, they're digging him up to play in a farewell match in November against Lebanon, in Sydney. 

Just let it go people!

6 hours ago, MrDuck said:

Dear god, despite Tim Cahill retiring after the world cup, they're digging him up to play in a farewell match in November against Lebanon, in Sydney. 

Just let it go people!

He was a good player years ago, but never great.

I shall remember him most as a player who sold out more than a brick shop in Beirut.

• Like 1

Would Cahill not be Australia greatest ever national team player? Played 4 world cups scored in 3, got the late winner vs Syria to bring you there this time and seemed score big goals for you guys

Also holds the national goalscoring record

Â