Football Programmes soon to be extinct?

LakotaDakota

I used to buy programmes for every game in the 70's/80's/90's but can't remember the last time i bought one now, They are too big, too expensive and generally full of the same old crap each week that you have already read online and unless you have some sort of bag with you it is just a pain carrying it around/folding it and trying to cram it into a pocket.

At the moment it is a requirement that all teams must produce a physical matchday programme for every game, This summer the EFL are asking all clubs to vote on a proposal to no longer make it an absolute requirement to produce a physicalmatchday programme from the start of next season.

Teams will still have a choice in the matter but it seems that a number of clubs have expressed a desire to no longer produce them (although they may still do something digitally).

Do you still buy them, would you miss them? Would reading one on your phone/tablet be just the same/more convenient?

Haven't bought one in about 15 years.

Full of last week's news, human interest stories about fans I've never met, and 'exclusive' interviews in which footballers mutter the same old platitudes. Absolute waste of money.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've kept a few from villa over the years like the CSKA Moscow game with the laursen hologram cover, other than that the hundreds of pounds I spent on them got put in a box to a charity shop

Waste of money nowadays

25 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I hardly ever buy them these days. Not really worth the cost and it won’t tell me much I couldn’t find out elsewhere I suspect. 

If it’s a particular occasion or a special anniversary then I probably would as a memento.

I know others will have better ones to hand, but here’s my programme for my first ever Villa game. Posing with the photo is my Villa Nut and a figure that is meant to look like me circa 1994 (to be clear, the figure on the right is meant to be me).

And just in case any of you are wondering, no I resisted the temptation of putting the centrefold poster of Gareth Farrelly on my wall.

AFC4C173-E231-433B-8F26-BADE662E1418.jpeg

That game was my first ever visit to Villa Park. Have the front page of the programme framed with some other memorabilia. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

That game was my first ever visit to Villa Park. Have the front page of the programme framed with some other memorabilia. 

and the Gareth Farrelly centrefold?

I've got massive box of them going waaaaaay back.

Pinched my dads collection off him years ago when he left home (as revenge muahahahahaha) and have added to it throughout my time, though not really been buying them for last 5 years or so.

There's even one in there from the FA Cup final in '57, it's not in great condition though.

One from the Barcelona Super Cup home leg.......probably loads of other cool shit in there.........will have a look again when I move house in the near future

12 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I hardly ever buy them these days. Not really worth the cost and it won’t tell me much I couldn’t find out elsewhere I suspect. 

If it’s a particular occasion or a special anniversary then I probably would as a memento.

I know others will have better ones to hand, but here’s my programme for my first ever Villa game. Posing with the photo is my Villa Nut and a figure that is meant to look like me circa 1994 (to be clear, the figure on the right is meant to be me).

And just in case any of you are wondering, no I resisted the temptation of putting the centrefold poster of Gareth Farrelly on my wall.

I'm fairly certain I had that exact program, even though I wasn't at the game. I think a friend went and brought that back for me.

I used to buy them religiously but I stopped a while ago when I realised I wasn't even reading them, just buying them to put in a box.

I'd be sad if they stopped doing them though...even though I don't want them..hmm.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

brings back memories. Used to collect loads back in the late 90s era. I would say I buy them whenever I turn up, but the caveat there is I haven't attended a game in nearly 8 years! The figurine does remind me of those Corinthian figures you could collect, used to love those. 

An Premier League programme these days appears to just be a safe souvenir memento for the tourist or casual supporter.

Further down the system, a programme might actually contain something you didn't know. Can contain thinly disguised slights at the opposition and in jokes. It can also be a way of selling advertising and making a couple of hundred quid profit on a game.

I always used to buy them but stopped years ago as a cost saving measure. Don't miss them at all. Tinternet has replaced a lot of their function. 

Â