E3 2018

LakotaDakota

11 hours ago, villa4europe said:

There was a playstation blog last week i think from one of the usual suspects from the e3 presentation saying expect to only see the 4 1st party games this year, spiderman, death stranding, last of us, samurai game

They dont normally come out with that much detail so maybe trying to throw people off the scent

I think he also said they did have some new 3rd party game reveals

What happened to the canned star wars game? They're a really bad job of cashing in on the series return

I think with Sony coming out and explicitly stating that Death Stranding, Last of Us 2, Spider-Man and Ghost of Tsushimi being the major showcases that they nullify the negativity somewhat. Last year fans went in expecting an E3 conference akin to the one in 2016 where Sony showed God of War, Days Gone, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Detroit: Become Human, Resident Evil 7 and more for the first time, while announcing Crash: Remastered and Death Stranding, plus the price and release date announcement of PSVR. That E3 set a very very high benchmark and last year as good as their 2017 conference was people left disappointed, so Sony have come out and stated that there will be announcements, some of which may be surprises, but these are the four games that you will largely be tuning in for so set your expectations accordingly, which I believe is smart if not a bit underwhelming. 

We will likely still see the standard fare of Call of Duty, Destiny and any other games where Sony are an advertising partner. I think we may see footage, or an extensive trailer of From Software's 'Shadows Die Twice', it may not be a PS4 exclusive, but given Sony's strong ties with From Software it's a good stage to truly reveal that game. I'm not sure what the current trends are going into this E3, normally it's obvious with people shouting from the rooftops "we want Bloodborne 2", or "we want a new Syphon Filter game", yet despite keeping my finger firmly on the pulse of the gaming industry those requests haven't been as clear this year. 

As for Star Wars my first question is which canned Star Wars game? There have been a couple. We had the recent one which was headed up by Uncharted writer/creator Amy Hennig that was canned for being too linear, or no lets be fair it was "canned because players in 2018 don't like linear games" which isn't true. Last I heard that one is being reworked by EA Vancouver so it's still alive somewhere, but the likelihood of it being anything like it was initially touted as is slim. The other canned Star Wars game was Star Wars: 1313 at the start of this generation. We were never formally given a reason for that one, but general speculation was surrounding the Disney takeover as Star Wars: 1313 was planned to be an 18-rated game which Disney likely wouldn't have been on board with. It is a shame though that the only Star Wars game that seems to get a free pass is the Battlefront series.

Might well be a new pokemon game for the Switch at the nintendo show

zP8kmuc.jpg

As per usual there is likely to be 2 versions, apparently called Let’s GO! Pikachu & Let’s GO! Eevee.

This would seem to be confirmed by the overnight registration of PokemonLetsGoEevee.com & PokemonLetsGoPikachu.com domains by CSC Corporation, The same company that manages nintendo.com & nintendoswitch.com. They also registered a third domain "letsgopikachuletsgoeevee.com"

Possible crap quality leaked screenshot below

fMSzT5g.jpg

Edited by LakotaDakota

2K have announced that their "as yet unconfirmed sequel to a major franchise" will not be released this year and has been pushed back until their 2020 financial year (april 2019-march2020) so guessing that means no borderlands 3 this year either

• Sad 2

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

2K have announced that their "as yet unconfirmed sequel to a major franchise" will not be released this year and has been pushed back until their 2020 financial year (april 2019-march2020) so guessing that means no borderlands 3 this year either

It'll likely still be announced this year.

The game was likely never going to release in 2018 for the same reasons Shenmue 3, Metro: Exodus and even RAGE 2 are deciding to launch in 2019 because 2018 is stacked.

Borderlands 3 maybe a big release, but put it up against Spider-Man, Battlefield V, Black Ops 4 and Red Dead 2 and that game will flop hard. 

These days if you're releasing a game you need to get it out before the end of September, so unless they could nail down a release in the next 3-4 months then 2019 makes sense from a business standpoint. 

13 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

based on the battlefield 5 noise it sounds like xbox have wrapped up EA with the plays better bollocks so expect fifa, madden and more BF as part of their show

They've had that deal with EA for a while and I think they keep that deal because Sony has too much on their plate.

Microsoft could announce Halo 6 and Gears 5 at this E3, but if they don't have anything else it'll look like an empty show which is where EA come in. Sony don't have that problem, if they partnered with EA they would have too much to show every E3.  

MS must be showing something as they have booked a 2 hour time slot for their show.

Expect Forza Horizon 4 with asian setting, probably out in october with playable demo at e3, Halo 6 with 64 player online warzone, new Mech Assault game (wouldn't be surprised if the old ones go backwards compatible during the show), More crackdown footage, Fable 4, 1vs100 revamped for the new avatars, Alan Wake 2/Quantum Break 2, Age of empires on xbox with kb/mouse support, A whole bunch of first party stuff added to gamepass including cuphead (also 3/6/12 month subscription options) along with teasers from other companies games like tomb raider/splinter cell etc

Edited by LakotaDakota

@LakotaDakota I doubt we'll see an Alan Wake 2 or even a Quantum Break 2.

Remedy announced a few years ago that they are working on Codename: P7 which they will be unveiling at E3, but it's not published by Microsoft, it's multi-platform and it likely won't be connected to any IP that Microsoft own as a result.

I think the rest is pretty solid aside from the Horizon 4 release date. October is stacked with Black Ops 4, Battlefield V and Red Dead 2 all launching within a week or two of each other I would be shocked in Microsoft sent Horizon 4 out to die like that. 

I don't know what Microsoft have to unveil. Microsoft have been talking about taking first party a bit more seriously so maybe they have a lot of stuff to unveil even if those games aren't out for several years.

Edited by Daweii

@Daweii October is always the same, multiple big games out every week but forza always turns up in in october (although the first horizon came out in the final weekend of september & Forza 5 was waiting for the xbox one launch in november)

Look at last year there was Forza 7, LOTR shadow of war, Evil Within, Wolfenstein ii, south park, wwe, assassins creed origins all out in October with Cod out on Nov 3rd (plus a bunch of other stuff and big titles on other formats like GT sport & mario odyssey).

It's madness releasing so many at the same time but they always do it to get christmas sales

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 1

@LakotaDakota

While I agree the market trends so far have shown publishers moving out of October 2018. Previous years I agree it has been nuts, but this year there are only 4 games launching in October and three of them will sell 10-20 million copies by the end of 2018.

Previous years have been more saturated, but previous years seem to have taught publishers that you just stay away from October/November.

That said November is pretty empty right now to be fair so Horizon 4 could launch then, it would likely do better launching mid-November as Red Dead 2 is a massive game launching at the end of October.

I just think that while other years have had a more saturated October, I don't think Microsoft will risk putting it up against the three biggest game launches of the year, I could be wrong though.

Edited by Daweii

If they do a Japanese located Horizon 4 I’ll be a happy man. Neon cities, rural towns and swathes of countryside. Poyfickt. Horizon 3 was driving game nirvana for me, it was sublime and one of the best games I’ve played so colour me excited.

UbiSoft is a conference I look forward to every year as for the last few years they have always announced a new IP or two.

I think this conference will be great fun to watch. I look forward to seeing Beyond Good & Evil 2 even though it likely won't be out until 2025, plus I want to see The Division 2 as they have worked tirelessly to make The Division 1 a great game after its weak launch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

As I do every year I look forward to the disappointment of Half Life 3 not being announced.

It's ok though, I'm sure big Gabe is working on a remastered HL1 and HL2 to release as a multi-pack when HL3 is released. ?

Half Life 1 already has a remake.. Black Mesa. Its amazing 

I would love Valve to make games again. I know they are working on Artifact which is a card game to rival Hearthstone, but even though that is a game it's not the kind of game their fans are after. At this point I don't even want Half-Life 3 because it'll never live up to the hype and pressure the fans have put on the game, I just want Portal 3 or Left 4 Dead 3, something that would merely be pretty cool to play.

Â