Pre Match Thread

TheAuthority

So 2nd is gone (or it would take a major miracle for it to fall into our lap at this point.) So common sense points to us playing Middlesborough in the play off semi final.

So, rest a lot of the usual players for the game against Derby or try and keep the momentum with a full strength team?

I like the idea of mixing it up and giving opportunities to some of the more fringe players. Grabban certainly stated his case to start as the lone striker in the play offs with his performance against Ipswich. Maybe some others would do the same.

As it's the last home I predict a cracking atmosphere and a comfortable 3-1 victory.

Derby have an energy sapping game against Cardiff 4 days before they play us so hopefully they won't be able to function for 90 minutes and our extra energy levels see us over the line (plus we are a better team).

A lot of pressure on them. This looks like a must win game for them if they are going to avoid blowing up again at the business end of the season. A win for us then and a reason to do a lap of honour at the end of a season for a change or will we put that on hold until Wembley? :)

Hopefully Derby beat Cardiff to help Fulham get 2nd. Then we should rest players to let a poor Derby team get the points to sneak into the play offs, before our rested team stuff Millwall and prevent them finishing in the top 6. ;) *

* (Half joking of course.)

• Like 2

I would be equal parts surprised and frustrated if we didn't win this one, and I expect that we will.  I do think there'll be some rotation, but nothing major.  Derby have won 2 games since gameweek 31.  That's 13 games with 5 draws and 6 defeats.  They're on a shocking run and Villa Park is one of the last places you want to visit.  I don't expect we'll make it easy on ourselves, but we'll get the job done.  Middlesbrough versus Millwall is a massive game for us too.  If at all possible, I'd rather avoid Pulis & Adama in the semis.  Not that I think for a minute we couldn't beat them.

• Like 3

Just need derby to beat cardiff 2 players injured and 2 sent off from cardiff seeing their seasons end should put a cherry on the cake.

Then a decent performance from us at the weekend securing 3 points while Fulham and cardiff lose should make for an interesting last game

Bunn

Bree             Samba            Bedeau                 Thor

Whelan

Lansbury           Doyle-Hayes           Green (If fit)/Blackett-Taylor

O'Hare         RHM

Wrap everyone else in cotton wool

Looking at who has been rested recently I've gone with this.

6a6f3b2953f8b9a836545e2a40170071.png

Give Elmo a break at RB.  He has started every league game this year bar 2 where he came on as a sub (18 starts including 30/12).  I'd like to rest Chester but unless Terry is back we're very light there.  Not sure I want to see Samba in from thd start.  Rest Hourihane in midfield and reward Lansbury for his goalscoring cameo versus Ipswich.  Give Barney his first start at 6 since Norwich away on the 7th April.  Bring Adomah back in but put him on the right to give Snodgrass a continued break.  Bring Kodjia in on the left.  It's a toss up at #9 between Grabban and Hogan but only because Hogan has not started the previous 3 where Grabban has.  I'd obviously prefer Grabban (which is why I picked him) but wouldn't be at all surprised if Hogan was brought in on rotation.

11 hours ago, Ouchmefoot said:

Can we force Grealish to wear proper shinpads? I'm scared he's gonna get studded and be out of the playoffs.

Don't you dare even entertain the idea of him being injured mate.

On 25/04/2018 at 10:25, Ouchmefoot said:

Can we force Grealish to wear proper shinpads? I'm scared he's gonna get studded and be out of the playoffs.

if we can force him to wear shinpads we should go one further and lock him in a room with a treadmill that only goes to max level 9 between 3-5pm satuday and release him 2 weeks later