Pre match thread

John

Our next game is at Portman Road. Unusually it is not on live television and it kicks off at 3,pm on a Saturday. We visit mid table Ipswich next weekend who still remember with fondness being runners-up to us in 1980-81. They last beat us in a home league game in 1984 and now is not the time for us to start losing in Suffolk. It would be nice to get back into the winning habit away from home with the playoffs nearing. Make it so Villa!

20 hours ago, John said:

now is not the time for us to start losing in Suffolk. 

Tbh it's a dead rubber game. The only thing we need from the game is a bit of momentum heading into the play offs but it wouldn't be a disaster if we lost. 

What we do need though, is a goal from Kodjia to get the confidence flowing. 

3 hours ago, deeps said:

Agreed on Kodj. Don’t agree with the rest. 

What if Fulham lose/draw on Friday night? We win this and be a point behind Cardiff?

we cannot stop until mathematics tell us otherwise. Massive long shot but it’s unprofessional to not keep going. 

On a side note, may be worth resting Snoddy for this. 

Surely you aren't talking about finishing 2nd? That possibility went a long time ago. It's more important that we keep an eye on getting the rest/momentum balance right than pretending there is even a shred of a chance of finishing in the top 2. 

Edited by One For The Road

I think we need to win. Winning breeds more winning. Ipswich hopefully have downed tools for the season, Mick has departed and hopefully the players will be waiting for the summer so that they've got someone to impress.

Kodjia for me is the question mark - do we start him to try and get him a goal and some fitness - or do we play a striker that doesn't have his talents but fits the system better? For me, I'd play Grabban over Kodjia - I'm happy enough with either, but we've played better when we've got a linking front man. I'd save Kodjia as a our weapon from the bench, both in this one and through the playoffs.

I'm hopeful on this one, looking forward to it - we haven't got much to lose - but winning might prove very helpful. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Are you serious?

If Cardiff win one, draw two and lose one

And Fulham win one, draw one and lose one

And we win our final three games, then we go up automatically.

Whats so far fetched about that? Unlikely, I agree, but you dont give up now.

I never thought we would go up automatically and I'm not going to start now. 

Thereis no way we are getting 2nd after the last few weeks and I think we should have an eye on the play offs when making our selection for Saturday, whilst not changing it completely as we need some momentum.

(Your scenario requires Fulham and Cardiff winning only 2 games out of 7 between them and us winning all 3 of ours. That's Fulham with 16 wins from their last 21 and 0 defeats.)

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

Cardiff and Fulham lose all their games, we win all ours.

Wolves get docked 20 points for breaking FFP rules.

We could still be champions...don't lose hope!

Oh, and England will win the World Cup.

Wow these new antidepressants I'm taking are great!

• Haha 3

About a possibility of still finishing second, well you just never know, stranger things happen at sea. 

(Like... er... cargo ships are sometimes swallowed whole by giant halibuts. And Mermaids FC play matches against Sea Monsters United, so you just never know).

"It's a funny old game, Saint".

Edited by robby b

16 hours ago, turvontour said:

Are you serious?

If Cardiff win one, draw two and lose one

And Fulham win one, draw one and lose one

And we win our final three games, then we go up automatically.

Whats so far fetched about that? Unlikely, I agree, but you dont give up now.

You keep thinking that which is totally fine but the realists have prepared themselves for play offs. 

At end of the day though it is good that Fulham are playing Friday night as when they win as i expect them to it puts this to bed and we can think about resting players for the play off games 

• Like 1

fulham winning 1 game puts nothing to bed.  im resigned to the playoffs but not for 1 minute do i think we shouldnt try for automatic.

if we win our last 3, then its down to others to stop us getting 2nd. we likely wont, but we SHOULD be doing all we can to win the next 3 to 6 games

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

You keep thinking that which is totally fine but the realists have prepared themselves for play offs. 

At end of the day though it is good that Fulham are playing Friday night as when they win as i expect them to it puts this to bed and we can think about resting players for the play off games 

Have you actually read my post?

I'm saying that it's unlikely that we'll go up automatically. I think we'll be in the playoffs.

I just don't see the need to rotate/rest player when A) we still have an opportunity to be promoted automatically and B) we don't actually play a playoff game for the best part of a month.

If Bruce plays his strongest side on Saturday, do you think that the players should be of the mindset that we can only finish in the playoffs?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Have you actually read my post?

I'm saying that it's unlikely that we'll go up automatically. I think we'll be in the playoffs.

I just don't see the need to rotate/rest player when A) we still have an opportunity to be promoted automatically and B) we don't actually play a playoff game for the best part of a month.

If Bruce plays his strongest side on Saturday, do you think that the players should be of the mindset that we can only finish in the playoffs?

I do because someone like terry could be absolutely vital to play offs why risk him in an un-necessary game and he misses play offs? if terrys out thats our play off hopes in tatters

adomah and snodders look jaded so i would consider resting them or having them on bench. also think bree should be given some game time after his impressive performance at LB. I am not saying play a complete B team but its a good opportunity to give us game time to others like davis and o hare too. 

• Like 1

Let's see what the weekend brings.  Flum have a very sticky one away to Millwall who are unbeaten themselves in 18 league games and desperately trying to secure a playoff place.  All of this is predicated on us winning our games of course, so in that scenario us & Flum are level on points and in games played.  You would assume Cardiff will win at home against Forest, but they still have to go and do it.

I think there's a real danger in taking the foot off the gas.  Make the odd change if needed, sure, but they've just had 8 days rest and there's no back to back games now.  

Keep the pressure on, win the last 3 and see what happens.  

• Like 2