God of War

Chindie

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

This is astoundingly good.

I'm a few hours in and it's beginning to click with me now after an indifferent start.

Production values are off the scale and I like the interplay between Kratos and his son. The combat is a little clunky initially but I'm getting into the swing of it a bit more.

I don't think it's as good as the reviews are suggesting but that might come with time.

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

I'm a few hours in and it's beginning to click with me now after an indifferent start.

Production values are off the scale and I like the interplay between Kratos and his son. The combat is a little clunky initially but I'm getting into the swing of it a bit more.

I don't think it's as good as the reviews are suggesting but that might come with time.

I think it takes a very long time getting going. I've played a helluva lot over the weekend and it just feels special. I've no idea how much is left of it, it could be 5 hours or could be 20, bit I've massively enjoyed it. The combat keeps giving you options and once you get it every fight turns into these frantic scraps where you are balancing melee and ranged and Atreus, and using special moves etc 

It's great. 

And they seem to have mined Norse mythology to death.

I still think perhaps the reviews were a little too much, but I can't deny it's excellent.

• Like 1

Really enjoying it, i like the rewarding of exploration and the combat is brilliant, still not convinced by the mebu screens, the maps a bit shit, the upgrading and equipment stuff im struggling to reallybget my teeth in to, feels like theres a big chunk of the game that im missing out on by progressing the main story but at the same time the side quest stuff isnt that accessible, not sure what will happen over back tracking and revisiting areas (i left q lot at the lake)

Hasnt hooked me the way horizon did if im honest, this feels like something done really really well whereas horizon felt a bit fresher at the same time

I've got to the part where I can start revisiting areas and unlocking various bits, put about a 4 hour shift in tonight got really in to it, I'd say 1 disappointing big boss fight which didn't really work for me and 1 which I thought was excellent, it feels scaryily big

some of the level design in the mines is very good

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

Just finished the main story.

Spectacular.

Blimey, you got through that quick chap.

How many hours would you say the main story takes (approx) ?

1 hour ago, Designer1 said:

Blimey, you got through that quick chap.

How many hours would you say the main story takes (approx) ?

It really got it's teeth into me and I just couldn't get away from it.

It's probably about 25 hours, maybe, for the main story. It wraps up quite quickly.

I'd probably say that the story is perhaps slightly disappointing, although that's partly unrealistic expectations from me. It had some brilliant moments and there's great ideas and performances in it, but I kinda wanted it do a little more (especially as if you know anything from Norse mythology you know a fair few of the beats it will take). But obviously they wanted things on the table for a sequel.

It's also a little reliant on some elements, to it's detriment. You'll know what I mean by the time the game ends.

But I can't deny I enjoyed this enormously. It ticks all the boxes I want ticked, and I'm now going back to rinse it (although easier said than done, there are more challenging optional bits that might be a struggle).

Day One for a sequel.

Btw there is a short fantastic stinger in the post endgame I imagine you could easily miss.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

@chindie im onon the chisel, how much have i got left? And can you carry on exploring after the story is complete? Still not sure how much time to put in to the lake

You're probably just over half way I think. The pace starts to pick up from that section on, more or less.

You can explore after you finish the story, although that is very mildly curtailed by something. I believe you can't miss anything that counts towards completion. There's also stuff that is pointedly meant as post game content.

I'd take your time and mix up exploring with the story missions, exploring gets you to find upgrades for armour etc that is useful. And if you're like me you'll not want it to end.

• Like 1

I'm dangerously close to having completely rinsed this... It'll be shame when it's done, I don't want it to end.

Spoiler

Musphelheim done, which had some serious challenges, Niflheim nearly done (2 tears left) and then the remaining 4 Valkyries.

What a great game.

27 minutes ago, Risso said:

What's the combat like?  Is it especially button bashy?

Yes and no, you can button mash, you can also do the shit thing of dropping off and throwing your axe a lot but theres a good counter system and combo system as well as various special moves to unlock which keep it interesting

Its not dynasty warriors but its not dark souls either 

Theres a fair bit of fodder, some good boss fights

13 minutes ago, Risso said:

What's the combat like?  Is it especially button bashy?

It's a mix of something like the Tomb Raider reboot melee combat with a more mashy hack and slash, together with a very slight hint of Souls style combat (parrying, blocking, dodging are all vital, as you can die quickly). You have a light and heavy attack, and each is weighty and slightly slower than a classic character action game like the series used to be, and you have special moves that work on a cooldown. You also have your son who can use a bow, useful for distracting enemies or taking down weaker foes at a distance. You can throw and recall your axe, Mjolnir style, which opens up cool stuff like using a throw to trip an enemy, or looking up a group of enemies to hit a bunch as you recall the axe. And you have a bare handed option if you've not recalled the axe, which is useful for stunning enemies to get a melee finisher.

As the game progresses you unlock additional moves on a skill tree, like a shield bash, and you also collect additional special moves (and choose 2 at a time from the menu), which you can also upgrade.

There's a fair bit going on. Initially it feels quite mashy but you start to get the nuance of it. I approach most encounters sprinting in with a running heavy attack or heavy special (usually as multiple axe slam that when upgraded you can mash to increase its power) on the main threat, then use dodge attacks for crowd control, whilst hammering in arrows. The key is basically crowd control, and the game knows it - there's a few enemy types designed to make control difficult, and they're **** annoying :D

There's a bit of a learning curve, but once it clicks it's really satisfying.

Plus it's wrapped in a beautiful skin with excellent productions values and a good story.

I'd watch a video of the first section of the game, it gives you a good idea of what is going on.

Sounds promising.  I'm not a fan of games where it's "press triangle twice, followed by a combination of R1, X and the square button three times to do a flying reverse roundhouse together with pile drive".

Â