New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Ok, so the reaction may be... Related image

But imagine this man in charge? I think he's in Saudi Arabia at the moment but I'm sure we could tempt him away.

Whatever may happen with him as our manager, it would be exciting.

Yes, @rjw63 as our new manager.

Yes or.... Image result for maradona manager gif:D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Not for me, a manager from Lincoln City should not be managing our club next. If as you say we have faith with a manager who can rebuild for a few years I would go with Dean Smith. He somehow even when his better players leave, manages to make them even better

He seems to be good in the transfer market as well. Also he is very passionate and understands the size of the club. 

I'm kind of in on the Dean Smith thing, however if I remember right he has very little say in player recruitment ? I seem to remember that the owner of Brentford owns some form of analytics company and they buy players based on that (soemthing similar to moneyball). So it would probably not be enough to bring in just Dean Smith.

3 hours ago, Michael118 said:

Heckingbottom has been at Leeds for 2 months and 7 of his 11 matches so far have been against top 10 teams including Wolves and Fulham. 3 of the other 4 have been against teams battling against relegation. 

Leeds failed to win any of their last 7 before he was appointed, which included matches against Birmingham, Nottingham Forest, Ipswich, Hull and an FA Cup loss to Newport County.

Give him some time. I think he can be successful there if they have some patience with him.

What exactly is it that makes you think Heckingbottom is so good?

He appears to have been distinctly average at Barnsley and average at best at Leeds.

Are you basing your opinion on how handsome someone is again?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Not for me, a manager from Lincoln City should not be managing our club next. If as you say we have faith with a manager who can rebuild for a few years I would go with Dean Smith. He somehow even when his better players leave, manages to make them even better. 

He seems to be good in the transfer market as well. Also he is very passionate and understands the size of the club. 

Dean Smith is another one I like, I just feel with the cowley brothers it would be a completely different approach to what we are used to seeing. I also don't think we should be turning our nose up and up and coming potential managers just because they come from Lincoln, we've been crap for years and can't exactly be the most appealing of clubs no more with all the restraints we will soon have. Knowing us though we will end up with pardew. 

24 minutes ago, dukes said:

I'm kind of in on the Dean Smith thing, however if I remember right he has very little say in player recruitment ? I seem to remember that the owner of Brentford owns some form of analytics company and they buy players based on that (soemthing similar to moneyball). So it would probably not be enough to bring in just Dean Smith.

Thats interesting, but i would be suprised if Smith has no say in these matters 

15 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

Dean Smith is another one I like, I just feel with the cowley brothers it would be a completely different approach to what we are used to seeing. I also don't think we should be turning our nose up and up and coming potential managers just because they come from Lincoln, we've been crap for years and can't exactly be the most appealing of clubs no more with all the restraints we will soon have. Knowing us though we will end up with pardew. 

Yeah valid point but its a huge step up from Lincoln to Aston villa. I dont think the fans would accept it either 

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah valid point but its a huge step up from Lincoln to Aston villa. I dont think the fans would accept it either 

There was fan uproar when John Gregory took over, after being at Wycombe or somewhere much lower level.

That didn't turn out so bad.

3 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

So he did a crap job managing a crap team, and now he's doing a crap job managing an average team.

So you consider finishing comfortably in midtable with Barnsley last season a crap job?

They have struggled this season after losing a number of key players last summer but Heckingbottom still managed to keep them above the relegation zone and signed a new contract 4 days before he left. 

His record with Barnsley in the Championship is 21 wins, 22 draws and 33 losses, which is 1.11 points per game, 10% better than their new manager who has also probably benefited from a 'new manager bounce'.

Dean Smith ............. Brentford lost their three best players two weeks in to the season, then lost their leading goal scorer in the January window (Plus Hogan the year before) and are still only 5 points off the playoffs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, USA_Villa said:

Dean Smith ............. Brentford lost their three best players two weeks in to the season, then lost their leading goal scorer in the January window (Plus Hogan the year before) and are still only 5 points off the playoffs.

And play something that you actually could sit down and enjoy watching.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

There was fan uproar when John Gregory took over, after being at Wycombe or somewhere much lower level.

That didn't turn out so bad.

Yeah Gregory did better than expected but we were a half decent side back then

Smith is a decent manager and has got his lads organised and energised enough to out play Villa in recent matches. His current Brentford squad cost about 16 million to assemble, and they got far more money back from the sale of key players over the last couple of seasons. Cardiff cost approx 18 million as a squad, so Warnock's done a good job getting them up there as well. In contrast we paid approx 67 million for our squad and it's still struggling to play as a cohesive unit.

I'll say this in Bruce's defence though .... How would managers like Smith and Warnock cope with the huge weight of expectation attached to the Villa job? It must be crushing!

47 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I'll say this in Bruce's defence though .... How would managers like Smith and Warnock cope with the huge weight of expectation attached to the Villa job? It must be crushing!

Expectation is just a BS excuse used by bad managers to try to hide their own failings. It's up there with 'he didn't have a preseason' excuse in terms of overall nonsense level. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Michael118 said:

His record with Barnsley in the Championship is 21 wins, 22 draws and 33 losses, which is 1.11 points per game, 10% better than their new manager who has also probably benefited from a 'new manager bounce'.

So 'new manager bounce' is something that isn't down to the manager?  Sometimes your logic is truly mindblowing.

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

What exactly is it that makes you think Heckingbottom is so good?

He appears to have been distinctly average at Barnsley and average at best at Leeds.

Are you basing your opinion on how handsome someone is again?

heckingbottommmm.jpg

eyes so blue you could swim in them, and that premier league standard hair cut :wub:

• Haha 1

On 4/10/2018 at 18:18, villa89 said:

Expectation is just a BS excuse used by bad managers to try to hide their own failings. It's up there with 'he didn't have a preseason' excuse in terms of overall nonsense level. 

Riiiight okay.

It's exactly the same playing in front of 8000 fans at Brentford with low expectations as it is playing in front of 35,000 fans at a club that sees itself as being in the top 7-8 clubs in the country.

• Like 1

If we get promoted then I think I'd just stick with Bruce, possibly with Terry involved in a coaching capacity.  You'd hope the Dr will be able to give Bruce a decent transfer kitty if we do go up so as long as we spent it wisely, we could get a safe mid-table finish under Bruce.  Then push on from there with a high calibre manager.