Sign in to follow this  
maqroll

New Manager Speculation

9 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

We should run a poll.

Are fans who want Dean Smith the same fans who polled to keep Bruce on in the Summer?

I bet the %'s are very close.

I probably felt it was wiser to keep Bruce in the summer (just to have some sort of consistency, I certainly wasn’t a strong advocate of keeping him), but I had changed my stance after a couple of weeks into the season.

I can’t pretend the idea of Dean Smith taking charge excites me. I’m not wholly against it, I’d just feel slightly underwhelmed and worried that it would be Lambert mk ii (afraid to lose mentality).

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Why is terry being assistant seem so central to all of this. First Henry, now Faria, and now Smith. If dean smith is offered it and adamant that he doesn't want John as his assistant and that he needs to bring Richard O'Kelly with him or he is not coming, then Villa need to play ball. Terry shouldn't be forced upon any manager.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I probably felt it was wiser to keep Bruce in the summer (just to have some sort of consistency, I certainly wasn’t a strong advocate of keeping him), but I had changed my stance after a couple of weeks into the season.

I can’t pretend the idea of Dean Smith taking charge excites me. I’m not wholly against it, I’d just feel slightly underwhelmed and worried that it would be Lambert mk ii (afraid to lose mentality).

Nothing from Smith has ever given me any impression he is like Lambert or has an 'afraid to lose' mentality. If anything its the opposite that Brentford sometimes leave themselves a bit exposed because they attack so much. Smith's personality is quite different from Lambert too, much more steely and less 'friendlier'

• Like 2

You've got to love Nursey... He writes an article saying that Faria has been appointed and then later in the article states that Purslow is interviewing other candidates this week. ??‍♂️What a tool! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Smith is very much a training ground coach where has Bruce leaves that to others. Smith doesn't control player ins and outs whereas Bruce has always been very hands on in that regard. Smiths teams play possesion based on the front foot attacking football whereas Bruce..well we all know the rest.

So how do you explain the streaks he goes on.  Thats one of the major things that concerns me.  Suggest to me more a motivational style, similar to Bruce

4 minutes ago, Trickster said:

Nothing from Smith has ever given me any impression he is like Lambert or has an 'afraid to lose' mentality. If anything its the opposite that Brentford sometimes leave themselves a bit exposed because they attack so much. Smith's personality is quite different from Lambert too, much more steely and less 'friendlier'

Lambert...Friendly?

Id hate to live on your street!

7 minutes ago, Trickster said:

Lambert didn’t have an afraid to lose mentality, look at his season in the premier league with Norwich, most goals scored outside of the top six, most goals conceded outside of the bottom four.

That all changed when he joined Villa. I have the feeling Smith will feel like he doesn’t want to fail and similar Lambert/Bruce results will follow.

edit - well, the goals conceded with Lambert in charge didn’t change ;)

Edited by Shropshire Lad

Not being able to get first choice manager in is another big thanks to Bruce for the state he's left us in. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Lambert didn’t have an afraid to lose mentality, look at his season in the premier league with Norwich, most goals scored outside of the top six, most goals conceded outside of the bottom four.

Also most used phrases of the team being 'a good bunch of lads' and 'we go again'. 

Basically my two main worries with Smith are the step up in the level of expectation along with how Brentford are apparently set up.

But hey, he’s been the front runner for over an hour now, so it’s bound to be someone else by tea time.

20 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Why is terry being assistant seem so central to all of this. First Henry, now Faria, and now Smith. If dean smith is offered it and adamant that he doesn't want John as his assistant and that he needs to bring Richard O'Kelly with him or he is not coming, then Villa need to play ball. Terry shouldn't be forced upon any manager.

john terry announcing his retirement from football = managers rejecting the chance to be villa manager because he is our assistant

all of that is pure speculation, terry being offered a job, those 3 being offered a job

its all just journalist guess work (and the henry "rejecting" us has actually been proven as bollocks by the belgian FA, we didnt offer him anything to reject, faria according to credible journo henry winter was informally approached for an interview and said no thanks, he wasnt offered anything either) no one knows anything and they hate it

Edited by villa4europe

11 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

So how do you explain the streaks he goes on.  Thats one of the major things that concerns me.  Suggest to me more a motivational style, similar to Bruce

Continually losing players is hard to sustain any momentum. Lost Jota, Dean, Vibe, Hogan. That would buck any trend in fairness. 

15 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

You've got to love Nursey... He writes an article saying that Faria has been appointed and then later in the article states that Purslow is interviewing other candidates this week. ??‍♂️What a tool! 

Has anyone ever seen Nursey and Gregg Evans in the same room?

• Haha 1

Just now, Johnnyp said:

Continually losing players is hard to sustain any momentum. Lost Jota, Dean, Vibe, Hogan. That would buck any trend in fairness. 

I agree it would, but he can go on 5-6 match winning streaks and then the same in loosing.  Loosing players dont explain them streaks to me.

1 minute ago, HeyAnty said:

I agree it would, but he can go on 5-6 match winning streaks and then the same in loosing.  Loosing players dont explain them streaks to me.

They lose players not loose them, that would be a different thing!!!

• Haha 1