New Manager Speculation

maqroll

25 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Liked him as a player but legend ? For me legends are people like McGrath and little - mellberg was a good player for us but no way a legend 

Na mate for me as legend spent years here and did a nice gesture with villa shirts when he left the club.

Also loved the club.

• Like 4

If we stay down the austerity cuts will mean we need a manager who's more a coach and can actually improve players. Safe to say Steve Bruce isn't that.

Time might be right for Dean Smith as he's shown at Brentford he can do this and they'll finish top 10 so I doubt we'd slump with him in charge.

Go up and as harsh as it is I'd let SB go as I just can't see how we'd make a serious impact on the prem with his style.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Go up and as harsh as it is I'd let SB go as I just can't see how we'd make a serious impact on the prem with his style.

His style is one thing but assuming he does get the overall say his transfer success rate is piss poor

Would you trust him with a "war chest" ?

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

His style is one thing but assuming he does get the overall say his transfer success rate is piss poor

Would you trust him with a "war chest" ?

The shortlist is written up by the club - scouts and Round - and vetted by the manager, so to some extent yes.

I do think going in with a fresh approach IF the right manager is available would be better though.

Ex Players rarely work. IF we get a new manager in the summer (I'm less convinced than many that we will, whichever league we're in) then we need to get an actual manager. Not elevate someone to something they're not just because they used to play for us.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DCJonah said:

When Terry starts his coaching career it will be at chelsea, no chance of it being here. 

Conte is almost certainly gone in the summer.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Terry goes there as part of the new management team... or AS the new management team.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Conte is almost certainly gone in the summer.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Terry goes there as part of the new management team... or AS the new management team.

Yep. 

Terry wants to be manager of chelsea, working his way through the ranks there is his best approach to it. 

29 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Not sure if serious but I would kill to have someone like Brendan Rodgers at this club.

Perfectly serious, If we go up and we do actually have a giant scrooge mcduck room of money set aside we should do whatever we can to get him.

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

Perfectly serious, If we go up and we do actually have a giant scrooge mcduck room of money set aside we should do whatever we can to get him.

He has sort of become a walking meme, but he is someone who knows how he wants to play, has immense belief in himself, very passionate and driven,  and in my opinion improves footballers.

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. 

Terry wants to be manager of chelsea, working his way through the ranks there is his best approach to it. 

If he flops there he will go down in their eyes. If I was Terry instead of being a manager there be a coach of the u18s so you have a job there for life 

If he was a manager and gets sacked he wont be welcome as he is now 

54 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Ex Players rarely work. IF we get a new manager in the summer (I'm less convinced than many that we will, whichever league we're in) then we need to get an actual manager. Not elevate someone to something they're not just because they used to play for us.

Agreed. I think Bruce will be kept on. It was always going to be tough to finish in the automatic play off spots. Wolves have got players who shouldn’t be playing for that club, and particularly not in the Championship, and there’s often a team who surprise everyone by playing above themselves (Cardiff), whilst Fulham have got a very strong first eleven with a solid midfield. 

So give or take a few points, where about where I’d expect...in the play off places. 

I know what the goals were at the start of the season, but the manager hasn’t been a total and utter abject failure. I think he’ll be given another shot. But I guess we’ll all find out for sure at the end of next month. 

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Just now, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Agreed. I think Bruce will be kept on. It was always going to be tough to finish in the automatic play off spots. Wolves have got players who shouldn’t be playing for that club, and particularly not in the Championship, and there’s often a team who surprise everyone by playing above themselves (Cardiff), whilst Fulham have got a very strong first eleven with a solid midfield. 

So give or take a few points, where about where I’d expect...in the play off places. 

I know what the goals were at the start of the season, but the manager hasn’t been a total and utter abject failure. I think he’ll be given another shot. But I’ll guess we’ll all find for sure out at the end of next month. 

If FFP and the changes to the squad were not a factor I would be inclined to stick with him for another year. But I think the job becomes very different next season and I don't think Bruce is the right man for it. 

if he's given another shot after failing this year, for me that consigns us to several years down here. He doesn't know how to create a team, a style or use youngsters. He knows buying players, the more familar the name the better irrespective of whether he can coach that player to become a better player. More Bruce in either league will be a disaster. He has had a go, and only briefly flickered at promising to surprise us all by being competent. He is limited. If we snuck up, the other 19 teams would be laughing their arse off at the guaranteed points they'd have.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He has sort of become a walking meme, but he is someone who knows how he wants to play, has immense belief in himself, very passionate and driven,  and in my opinion improves footballers.

Yep, Think you would probably need to offer it to him as a long-term project and give him a 5 year contract from the get go to tempt him away from the easy life in Scotland. He is also pretty well known overseas thanks to the Liverpool/Celtic connections so this could help with player recruitment.

Expectations would need to be realistic, Year 1 target of no more than survival/mid-table if possible as there is going to need to be a pretty significant overhaul of the squad and a complete change in style in order to do anything else and these things take time.

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If FFP and the changes to the squad were not a factor I would be inclined to stick with him for another year. But I think the job becomes very different next season and I don't think Bruce is the right man for it. 

Agreed.

Assuming we stay in the Champ, then if we could take this squad, or most of it, into next season with some additions then I'd be happy to stick with Bruce. Yes he would have failed this season but I think the improvements we've shown this season would carry on into next season.

That being said, if a better candidate was available then I'd be happy to give a new man a go too.

But FFP means we'll probably have to sell a few big players and trim the squad, and I don't have much confidence in bruce being the right man under those circumstances.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Agreed.

Assuming we stay in the Champ, then if we could take this squad, or most of it, into next season with some additions then I'd be happy to stick with Bruce. Yes he would have failed this season but I think the improvements we've shown this season would carry on into next season.

That being said, if a better candidate was available then I'd be happy to give a new man a go too.

But FFP means we'll probably have to sell a few big players and trim the squad, and I don't have much confidence in bruce being the right man under those circumstances.

Yeah completely agree. 

I think we would be a shoe in for promotion again and with a fully fit Green, Grealish and Kodjia from the start, be in for automatic promotion. Shame that so much will need to change, the whole approach and mindset starting with the owner will have to readjust to our new position in this league. 

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah completely agree. 

I think we would be a shoe in for promotion again and with a fully fit Green, Grealish and Kodjia from the start, be in for automatic promotion. Shame that so much will need to change, the whole approach and mindset starting with the owner will have to readjust to our new position in this league. 

Missing those players, especially Kodjia and Grealish has had a major impact on our season, also losing Terry for 6 weeks before Christmas hit us particularly hard. Those injuries are partly the reason I am undecided on keeping Bruce on for next season. After every loss I am fed up and think his time here is up, but then I calm down and think that we have had injury problems far worse than some of the other teams around us. We were in a right mess before Bruce arrived, which is another thing I take into consideration. Ripping it all up and starting again could set us back, whereas some fine tuning may be all it needs if we can keep our key players together for another season.

With regard Bruce working under FFP, he has worked most of his career in management working for clubs with a smaller budget, so he may actually do alright in this respect.