New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, 27HolteRoad said:

Dreadful if true. Why can't we find a brilliant unassuming proper coach rather than employing dinosaurs for years and now Hollywood or bust:((

"Terry is set to return to Villa Park as Henry’s No2 in a dream line-up for Villa’s hierarchy. It is believed both interviewed for the post as manager but Henry’s greater experience got him the nod. The duo have been told they are expected to win promotion to the Premier League ‘sooner rather than later’."

Maybe we have just found that brilliant unassuming manager...? Just a thought. 

2 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Are we just going to ignore everything Rodgers did before Celtic then?

Promoted Swansea and played some good football but the foundations were laid by Martinez and Sousa, leaves for Liverpool and inherits Suarez and a rejuvenated Gerrard and finishes second which is probably a career high. For every Coutinho he bought there's a Markovic and Illori or Ballotelli (though admit heard Mario was forced on him), remember Lambert's Norwich playing Rodger's Swansea and Lambo totally out thinking him. Wouldn't be a bad appointment by any means, but don't understand the hype and the potential compensation costs involved could be huge.

• Like 3

So Terry interviewed for the job, that's quite admirable.

He actually really enjoyed his time at the club didn't he?

Again I have reservations, but surely our younger players like Jack will be well chuffed about having these two around (Henry and JT)?

Young enough to be relatable but enough experience, silverware and intelligence to also command respect!

Bring it the f*ck on!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

Yorke is a complete arse, and universally disliked.

His aspirations concerning the manager's job at Aston Villa, are looked upon, I would say with a mixture of incredulity and hilarity.

TBF, he posted that at 02.30 and may have woken up today filled with justified embarrassed remorse.

Posting anything to suggest that utter fellatioist Yorke is anything other than despised here now is even worse than sending mawkish, "I-love-you-and-miss-you-and-think-about-you-all-the-time-can-I-come-over?" pissed-up 4am texts to an ex-girlfriend. :lol:

19 minutes ago, westholmevillan said:

Henry will boss the training and Terry will boss the dressing room.....this looks like the perfect set up to me....the real 'dream team's!

And there will be a DOF in place, as well who will complete the Tactical Triumvirate. If they do appoint Henry and Terry as coach/player coach team - and there is a lot to recommend that - the DOF appointment obviously has to be someone who is on board with those two and can work with them highly effectively. Wenger?

Edited by privateer
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Henry will build our identity and his managerial reputation at the same time.

He has a clear run to influence the backroom staff to his liking......the house is clear, to make his mark.

If we had owners, who were skint, i would have reservations......but they have the wherewithal for Henry to thrive.

He is a smart thinker, he is innovative, he has rubbed shoulders with the smartest minds in football, he is engaging and intelligent.

He needs his moment and we need ours.

We have the resources, the stadium, fanbase, for him to make his mark and grow with us......we have proved, we are very easy to fall in love with.....massive names like Paul McGrath and John Terry have been seduced by our atmosphere

Its a wonderful opportunity for Aston Villa to reinvent itself, like Wolves......and its a wonderful opportunity for one of the worlds best players to state his claim in the world of management.

There are many factors, inc a clean slate, to say it could be a match made in heaven.

I’ve runout of likes TRO. Consider this post liked!

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Cjay said:

Seen some dismiss Dean Smith on here, because of the size of Villa and how he wouldnt cope etc.

And also because he may not have the super structure that Brentford have created for themselves specially recruitment wise. 

Funnily enough, the 1st reason was the main one for some of our fans dismissing him when he was mentioned in our search for a manager.

He may not cope.

But he deserves a chance, and i think from what i saw yesterday your owners would be nothing but snobbish if they didnt atleast consider him.Henry, Terry, Faria, etc, they are names for one reason or another, but good managers? nobody knows, they may be awful, wouldnt be the first great players to be poor managers or the first good number 2 to suck as a number 1. 

Dean Smith came to Elland Road and did something that nobody has managed to do this season.

Yes teams have taken points of us, but they have done it by sitting behind the ball, conceding possession in huge amounts, taking advantage of every set piece they could, and hoping to nick a goal.

Thats sensible, i dont blame them for it no matter how frustrating it is, thats the best way to try and stop BielsaBall, especially at home in front of a feverish crowd. 

Brentford came yesterday.

Smith dropped a more creative midfielder for a more defensive one, they pressed us high at times, they dropped off at times and hit us on the break using the gaps we leave behind in the wide areas.

But they wernt defensive, more pragmatic then normal, sure, but they attacked, they had a decent amount of the ball, yes there is complaints about the ref, something us and Bees fans dont agree on, but they came to Elland Road, played us more at our own game and very much deserved there point. 

It was a superb show of tactical awareness and respect from Dean Smith, he showed respect for Bielsa by changing his approach slightly, but he also allowed his side to play there normal game when they could.  

There wont be many teams who come to Elland Road and take points of us in the manner Brentford did yesterday.

Dean Smith is a very good coach tactically, he has proven that he can consistently do a very solid job in the Championship while consistently losing key players, he plays great football, he gets the best out of his squad which was built on a budget far smaller then yours, and he is a Villa fan.

Seems the obvious choice really.

He is a good manager as you say.......thats why he is being touted.

I guess he is in the frame......I wouldn't be disappointed if it was him.

I just think we have an opportunity like Wolves, to transform the thinking at the club and pursue a new direction.

opportunities don't always present themselves like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, commander said:

my main reservation to the henry Terry thing is that it will have come from the owners, would Henry go out and select Terry as his assistnat? I doubt it. This could cause problems. do they have the same footballing style? 

You're presuming things. By the looks of photos Terry and Henry likely know each other pretty well. I presume.

Edited by praisedmambo

Henry is certainly exciting.

Pairing him with Terry is suddenly looking expensive as they must have some decent coaches in there with them as well. I don't see either of them as a lead man on the training field.

I still think the lack of the right coaches really did for Bruce. He started off badly with Clement and Calderwood and after a good bounce, Agnew didn't turn the ship around.

Lampard/Gerrard have gone into their respective clubs with strong training ground coaches who they clearly knew very well. This would the main concern if Henry is brought in.

But yes, exciting stuff though!