New Manager Speculation

maqroll

9 minutes ago, Eastie said:

I don’t think big Sam would take the job - he held Everton to a hard bargain before going there - don’t see him dropping now a division again and also he’s Bruce’s mate so I doubt would want to take it -besd\does that his style of football is no better than Bruce .

Hopefully Mendes has another potential Nuno up his sleeve .

Allardyce's arrogance would most likely mean he'd reject us anyway, thankfully. He probably thinks Ed Woodward will come calling when Man Utd finally sack Mourinho.

Fine by me.

• Like 1

We don't need any of these cretins that play the same old shit football... it's got no future in it.. 

We need a wolves/Fulham style manager who can come in and play some football. We've got so much firepower at this club now we could go up simply be smashing teams into the ground and winning 4-3 every  game.. attack is the best form of defence after all..

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Fowlersrs said:

We don't need any of these cretins that play the same old shit football... it's got no future in it.. 

We need a wolves/Fulham style manager who can come in and play some football. We've got so much firepower at this club now we could go up simply be smashing teams into the ground and winning 4-3 every  game.. attack is the best form of defence after all..

Yeah that’s what Kevin Keegan thought too...

ill take one new manager and two CB’s as soon as the window opens in January!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, av1 said:

I know it would require him dropping down a league, but does anyone think a good sell could convince Eddie Howe out of Bournemouth?

They are such a small club relative to most their competition that they are never going to punch to far above their weight, and it's unlikely that his time at Bournemouth will ever convince any of the "big boys" to take a chance. 

1 steo back to potentially take a couple of steps forward might appeal to him?

You’re dreaming mate, WAKE UP!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Killeen30 said:

You’re dreaming mate, WAKE UP!

Really? He's the manager of Bournemouth for crying out loud. 

8 hours ago, av1 said:

Bruce and Sam are cut from the same cloth.

I think it would be incredibly difficult to put forward an argument to sack Bruce and employ Sam. 

Sam epitomizes the very reasons i want Bruce gone. 

I dont want Big Sam but he is an arrogant prick which Bruce isnt and orobably what we need in this league 

Allardyce wont put up  with being sn also ran as a damage to his ego

I think it will either be a big statement appointment, getting someone decent from the PL or someone like Rogers, or it will be completely from left field. I doubt it would be anyone like Fat Sam or Pulis. I don’t think they fit in with how the new owners see our future both football wise or even in the way they want to publicly present the club. Bruce has already said that they want younger players. I think these guys will bring a more sophisticated PR approach, they will work the media and attempt to make us a more modern and trendy club, but not lose the tradition. Obviously winning football matches would be fairly helpful to their aims. 

• Like 3

If anyone's listened to the Football Ramble podcast from last week where they spoke with Carlos Carvalhal, I could see someone like him in the Villa job.

Speaks good English, plays decent football and currently not in a job. Also has managed in the Championship before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think it will either be a big statement appointment, getting someone decent from the PL or someone like Rogers, or it will be completely from left field. I doubt it would be anyone like Fat Sam or Pulis. I don’t think they fit in with how the new owners see our future both football wise or even in the way they want to publicly present the club. Bruce has already said that they want younger players. I think these guys will bring a more sophisticated PR approach, they will work the media and attempt to make us a more modern and trendy club, but not lose the tradition. Obviously winning football matches would be fairly helpful to their aims. 

I wish they would get a move on.

Everyday Bruce stays I am starting to go off this club.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, av1 said:

Bruce and Sam are cut from the same cloth.

I think it would be incredibly difficult to put forward an argument to sack Bruce and employ Sam. 

Sam epitomizes the very reasons i want Bruce gone. 

They are completely different on the training ground. Sam is a student of the game and revolutionised the way Opta is used.

Bruce just tells his players to stick their boots on and roll up their sleeves!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fowlersrs said:

Oscar Garcia anyone?

No thanks, was kicked out of Olympiacos for lack of training and discipline.

Allardyce - No, another football dinosaur. He knows how to get promotion and to keep a team up but his football is almost as dated as Bruce's. We need someone with fresh ideas able to get the squad playing solid, attacking football; we need a long term plan, not another Steve Bruce.

Rodgers - Yes (but it won't happen), would be a fantastic manager to get in, he get's teams playing the football that we have been craving but for me he won't leave a Celtic team in Europe for a Championship team. He would also demand high wages which I don't think we can afford (although who knows with FFP these days)

Smith - Yes, again is the type of manager we need with his style of football. The only questions over him is how would he cope with a high pressure job such as the Villa one... also how would he cope with a squad of talented (but failing) players. I also am skeptical on if he would leave Brentford with them playing the football they are currently playing.

Carvalhal - Maybe... I like his football.. but it hasn't worked out for him at either Wednesday or Swansea. Does anyone know if they just had poor squads that he was unable to utilise or was it due to his football? Possibly someone who could come in and implement a long term style on the squad.

Howe - Ridiculous, he won't leave Bournemouth and the PL for us...

Ranieri - Yes (but it won't happen), I would love this but he won't be taking a step down into the Championship

Benitez - Yes, I could possibly see Rafa making the move if we offered him the job. He's unhappy at Newcastle as he isn't being backed in the transfer market, this is something should we go up that we could offer him and back him to the hilt. Certainly worth a go...

Moyes - No thanks

Henry - No, still a massive gamble and a gamble not worth taking. We need someone with experience to come in with what looks like a broken dressing room.

For me we should try Rafa Benitez (if you don't try you don't get), the main options after that are Smith or Carvalhal... 

We need to act this week to sort out our season. The international break is the perfect time to get this plan into action.

1 hour ago, Fowlersrs said:

Oscar Garcia anyone?

Good read on my old man said .... 

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/long-read-villas-direction-and-who-could-replace-steve-bruce/

I hope that Aston Villa’s new Chief Executive, Christian Purslow, follows this example by removing the pragmatist Bruce and replacing him with a coach who has a clear philosophy such as Oscar Garcia.

New Manager

I know the arguments from Aston Villa fans who would prefer other managers,

“Well, ok, Garcia won league titles with RB Salzburg and Maccabi Tel Aviv but couldn’t most managers win a title with one of the big favourites?”

Isn’t that exactly what Aston Villa do need now though?

Someone who can handle the expectation of winning?  Someone who can make a good squad of players play up to their level and win a league? If it was as simple as fans think then why hasn’t Steve Bruce managed to claim one of six promotion places available in the past two seasons with such gilded squads at his disposal?

In terms of working with young players, Garcia previously coached Barcelona U19’s and played an attacking 4-3-3 system with players such as Gerard Deulofeu, Rafinha and Mauro Icardi. Garcia won only the second treble in the club’s history, at that level, with his young team and was promised a position as Barca B coach but the promise was broken by incoming Barcelona President, Sandro Rosell.

Garcia moved to Brighton in 2013, who had been playing in League 1 in 2011, before their promotion to the Championship. Although he was given no money to spend, only loans and free transfers and had the 13th most valuable squad in the league that season, Garcia finished in the play-off places, losing to Derby in the semi-final.  Garcia helped develop Jesse Lingard (on loan) and Solly March (youngster at Brighton) in his season at Brighton and they are both now Premier League regulars.

Philosophy

Aston Villa desperately needs a philosophy and direction. Why not try someone who has played for and coached alongside Johan Cruyff and who witnessed how Cruyff transformed Barcelona?

Pep Guardiola recently commented that many former Barcelona players who played for Cruyff had gone on to become successful coaches.  Guardiola, also appears to be regard Garcia as a good coach, since he has recommended him for jobs in Spain in recent years.

Garcia joined Barcelona when he was nine years old and Johan Cruyff played an influential role in his career on two occasions by giving Garcia his Barcelona debut, as a player, in 1991 and inviting him to be his Assistant Manager, as a coach, at the Catalan national team.

“For me Cruyff was the most important coach to learn about football from with a very clear philosophy.”

Garcia also played for Sir Bobby Robson and Jose Mourinho when they managed Barcelona in the season after Cruyff left and he has clear ideas regarding how he wants his teams to play,

“I grew up with a very clear philosophy.  I spent all my life in Barca.  I like the style of attacking football, it’s the best style to win games. I love to study how to make the opponent suffer, how to make use of the qualities of my players, I have a passion for it.”

GUARDIOLA, ALSO APPEARS TO BE REGARD GARCIA AS A GOOD COACH, SINCE HE HAS RECOMMENDED HIM FOR JOBS IN SPAIN IN RECENT YEARS.

Compelling argument for Garcia 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Good read on my old man said .... 

https://www.myoldmansaid.com/long-read-villas-direction-and-who-could-replace-steve-bruce/

Compelling argument for Garcia 

Saw Shelley Osbourne and got the **** out of Dodge. 

Not interested in the ramblings of a psychotic, middle aged, know all, housewife Chelsea fan. 

Next! 

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, jim said:

They are completely different on the training ground. Sam is a student of the game and revolutionised the way Opta is used.

Bruce just tells his players to stick their boots on and roll up their sleeves!

Exactly this. Sam was one the first managers to change how technology is used. He also signed some of the most creative players the Premier League ever saw at his time at Bolton. 

Very harsh to compare him to Bruce.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1