New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If i had to choose championship. Two managers I like the look of are wilder and Neil Harris. Both play good football and built sides on smaller budgets.

I definitely like Neil Harris the way millwall play is great to watch. Also makes them hard to beat at home.

Both would be on my shortlist, as would Paul Cook at Wigan. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Both would be on my shortlist, as would Paul Cook at Wigan. 

Cooks a great shout. Why waste out time as a short term option. Let's build something here. Bruce has built a good team but he struggles to consistently get the best out of them. 

• Like 1

Been saying to one of my mates for a while now that Rodgers would be a good fit here.

Maybe the fact that McGinn chose the Villa instead of Celtic might get Rodgers thinking Villa would be the right step back into the Premier League for him especially with the new owners having very deep pockets?

Edited by striker
  • Like 1

I think there are a lot of good suggestions here, based purely on football philosophy and the success achieved at a lower level. That is fine, but it is as much about the character of the manager. A good starting point is definitely looking at the football philosophy and narrowing down the list to those who share the same beliefs that the club wishes to implement. Then we move on to self belief and character, are they the type of guy who can initially command and then quickly reinforce respect of the players.

There are a lot of football philosophers, some write about it, some are pundits on TV and some, obviously the very best, share their inner footballing thoughts here on VT. However can they get that philosophy across to the players and make them really believe? Crack that and back it up with infrastructure and hard cash, then you may be on to a winner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

Good points.

For me though a successful swoop for Rodgers would speak volumes for the new owners, he won't be easy to get, he won't come cheap, and will take some convincing we and the new owners are the real deal - 

Just hope its not some rookie from the back of beyond, who has done good things at youth level or an assistant - Think the owners have to realise that getting a top bloke in won't be easy - but restoring villa (or any club) isn't easy - appointing a fresh faced out of work work rookie and chucking £20m at him won't cut it. 

I think you’re right in that it would send out a message and ignit the club. You’re also right in saying it won’t be easy! I wouldn’t necessarily rule out a fresh faced rookie, although your concerns are understandable and for 95% of fresh faced rookies probably right. But some people have just got it even from a young age. There would be an experience gap, which only time can mend, but if they find the right personality who can walk into the dressing room and own it from day one, then despite the steep learning curve, they can grow with the job. There ain’t many out there like that though. 

7 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Does anyone else suspect that the owners have a verbal agreement with Henry?

Lose Saturday and I think we’ll see him arrive during the international break

I doubt it. We might as well have just appointed him 6 games ago if Bruce was going to be given until the start of September to prove he can do the job.

31 minutes ago, Fight Like Lions said:

Does anyone else suspect that the owners have a verbal agreement with Henry?

No, he was about to join Bordeaux only he didn't get any guarantees about transfer budget. Also I doubt anyone is going to like an agreement where it's "we'll give spudface a chance but when he turns out to be shit like we think he is then we'll give you the job after the transfer window has just closed". 

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Thinking about available managers, and listening to the most recent Football Ramble special.

What do people think about Carvalhal?

Short term appointment, maybe if we sack Bruce mid season and need a boost to get in the playoffs he might be a good option. His CV shows he barely lasts two seasons anywhere. He wouldn’t be my choice.

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

Thinking about available managers, and listening to the most recent Football Ramble special.

What do people think about Carvalhal?

His football isnt the best to watch and very negative. Seems a decent initial motivator ala Sherwood but after bright start at Swansea it went downhill