New Manager Speculation

maqroll

46 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

The new guys assistants will be there no doubt. They're going to be the new coaches and so on so will need to see first hand what they're dealing with. They'll be first in to the new training regime. It will be nice for our players to actually have coaching.

One thing which has struck me is you don't seem to see coaches working with the players at half time at the moment.  In all previous regimes I have seen several coaches working with the subs, but now they just seem to be having a bit of a kick around by themselves.

Does make you wonder about the coaching which has been going on!

7 minutes ago, perchman said:

I'm not allowed to gamble anymore ? but try and find a price on ANDRES VILLAS BOAS!!

ITK? :thumb:

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

One thing which has struck me is you don't seem to see coaches working with the players at half time at the moment.  In all previous regimes I have seen several coaches working with the subs, but now they just seem to be having a bit of a kick around by themselves.

Does make you wonder about the coaching which has been going on!

The pre match drills seem a lot more amateur than they were 10 years ago as well. Usually they're just having a jog around and random potshots. 

Just now, av1 said:

ITK? :thumb:

Sorry no but, I'm just piecing things together and my senses are up. He's not contracted at the moment due to refusing to re sign in China, portuguese, fits into the owners apparent desire for youth and longevity. Has shown capabilities and Nixon reporting that the person he's been told hasn't been widely touted in the press or bookies.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, perchman said:

Sorry no but, I'm just piecing things together and my senses are up. He's not contracted at the moment due to refusing to re sign in China, portuguese, fits into the owners apparent desire for youth and longevity. Has shown capabilities and Nixon reporting that the person he's been told hasn't been widely touted in the press or bookies.

Also maybe Oscar Garcia.

• Like 1

AVB may feel familiar.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/32780855

Andre Villas-Boas: Zenit's title-winning boss is 'anti-football'

Andre Villas-Boas
Andre Villas-Boas has won league titles in both Portugal and Russia

Zenit St Petersburg coach Andre Villas-Boas employs a "nauseating" style of play that is "anti-football", claims one of the club's former players.

The ex-Chelsea and Tottenham boss, 37, has led Zenit to the Russian Premier League in his first full season there.

Yet Boris Chukhlov, who won the Soviet title with Zenit in 1984, also claims Villas-Boas is not good enough to manage a top European club.

But Villas-Boas says he is focused on turning Zenit into a major force.

"We should be one of the top-10 clubs in Europe," the Zenit manager has said.

AVB's tactics are 'anti-football'

Zenit were crowned Russian champions on Sunday after earning a 1-1 draw at lowly FC Ufa. However, his team's style of play has not drawn an admirer in Chukhlov.

"Zenit play boring football," he said. "A team full of star names is going out onto the pitch, however, the tactics are too cautious. The side is showing anti-football, which basically boils down to giving the ball as quickly as possible to Hulk or Danny."

But Zenit top-scorer Hulk, who has netted 15 league goals including the strike at FC Ufa, says the title triumph was a team success.

"There was not a best player of the season. The most important goal of the season was the one today against Ufa, which brought us the title," said the Brazil striker.

Zenit should have won title 'months ago'

Villas-Boas helped Zenit finish second last season, a point behind CSKA Moscow, after taking over in March 2014. This season, the team from Russia's second city has secured the title with two games to spare.

However, they failed to advance from the Champions League group stage and were knocked out by holders Sevilla in the Europa League quarter-finals.

"They are such a strong squad and when faced with such weak opponents, they should have wrapped up the Russian title two months ago and should have performed much better in the European competitions," said Chukhlov.

And Villas-Boas agrees - about their European performance at least. "We need to try and grow in order to win and improve in European competitions. To achieve this, there will be some changes and there will be investment," he said.

'Boring Villas-Boas is no Mourinho'

Villas-Boas is widely known as Jose Mourinho's protege, having learnt his trade under his fellow Portuguese at Porto, Chelsea and Inter Milan.

image.gif.4c4563279f4b957f2dfd3a8c38eddfeb.gif
Jose Mourinho was Andre Villas-Boas' mentor - but the latter admitted in September 2013 that the pair were "no longer friends"

"Villas-Boas says he is an admirer of Jose Mourinho," said Chukhlov.

"However, teams under the latter play a more aggressive type of football. Zenit on the other hand score a goal and then the defenders start hoofing the ball. It is boring and nauseating."

But, despite the criticism, Villas-Boas is pleased that the Zenit players have bought into his title-winning formula.

"I want to thank the players for the work that they have done, the way they have welcomed me and accepted my methods, and my way of working," he said.

'He always whines to the media'

Chukhlov also claims Villas-Boas tries to deflect any criticism by criticising other people in his post-match news conferences.

"He is always whining," said Chukhlov. "The referees are aiding the opposition with their mistakes, the conditions for playing football are poor, and so on... However, we have a lot more questions towards this manager."

AVB for Real Madrid? 'No chance'

Villas-Boas has been linked in the Spanish media with a move to Real Madrid, whose current coach Carlo Ancelotti - another former Chelsea boss - faces an uncertain future.

Los Merengues will finish the season without a major trophy after Barcelona pipped them to La Liga and Juventus reached the Champions League final at their expense.

"Why would Real need him?" asked Chukhlov of Villas-Boas, whose Zenit contract runs until 2016.

"I don't think he is able to work with top clubs."

Andre Villas-Boas' managerial career
Club Years Honours Win %
Academica Oct 2009 - Jun 2010 None 36.67
Porto Jun 2010 - Jun 2011 Primeira Liga, Portuguese Cup, Europa League (2010-11) 84.48
Chelsea Jun 2011 - Mar 2012 None 47.5
Tottenham Jul 2012 - Dec 2013 None 55
Zenit St-Petersburg Mar 2014 - present Russian Premier League (2014-15) 64.15

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

Edited by praisedmambo

32 minutes ago, av1 said:

Agreed. I've got a feeling this is already done and just waiting to be announced. 

Yup, was probably done before Bruce was even sacked.

Might have been what they were waiting for before sacking him in the first place!

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yup, was probably done before Bruce was even sacked.

Might have been what they were waiting for before sacking him in the first place!

It wouldn't suprise me. It may also be why we have left the announcement for a couple of days. I don't know why but i always feel a bit uneasy when a manager is announced 5 mins after the previous one was sacked. 

5 hours ago, villaglint said:

Nixon reckons one of the major names he's heard is in the running isn't even on the bookies list. 

Having looked at the list I reckon that must be either Arteta, Wenger or someone from abroad that nobody has even thought of yet. 

Nathan Jones ? 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Nathan Jones ? 

Not sure Nathan Jones would count as a major name. Also AVB can be backed at 20/1 so not sure he’s the man. Actually Arteta too is widely available from 8/1-20s so maybe that rules him out. 

Could be than Nixon knows nothing of course we will find out soon enough. 

44 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Can you imagine if a group of managers decided to have a laugh and all turn up just to troll us, would be brilliant to be fair. As they know how dramatic we are.

McCleish

Sherwood

MON

Garde

Allardyce

Nigel Pearson

Paul Jewell

Mick McCarthy

Sitting in different stand suited up and waving at cameras...lol

How many stands have you got?!