New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

You could argue that we have been scoring goals with out of sorts team, with a manager who sets his team up to be defensive.

You could argue that we have been shipping goals with a back four with 2-3 players out of position each game.

If we can sort both of the above out we should be able to continue scoring goals at a more impressive rate whilst tightening up at the back. It's a simplistic view but it's what any manager coming in should be looking to do from the off. We have the best attacking players in the league in Abraham, Hogan, Kodjia, Grealish, Bolasie, McGinn and Hourihane; we now need a manager who can use them in the correct way, get the best out of them and get them playing possesion based, attacking, free flowing football. This squad should be able to do this comfortably in the way we have seen Newcastle, Brighton, Wolves and Fulham do it over the last two seasons.

Brentford and maybe Blackburn aside we have been fairly clinical. We’re not creating enough. With the players we have we should be carving out a lot more chances throught creativity and movement. 

We need to dominate games and put teams on the back foot. Again like we did against Brentford for 70 minutes. 

This is what I’m hoping a new manager can bring but the problem is it will take time and we also may have to many weaknesses in certain areas for the whole team to be able to play a certain way. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

Please tell me this Moyes chit chat is bullshit. 

I think it's very unlikely.  He had his chance a few years ago and turned his nose up at us.  If these Mendes supermanagers are unattainable then I quite like Carvalhal.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

A positive attitude has proven to be extremely advantageous in most if not all aspects of life. It’s about balance, setting achievable goals and all that. What you believe to be achievable is of course down to each individual. 

I made it clear in one of my last posts that if you have the chance to do something about a situation then being positive is advantageous. I have become very successful by having a positive mindset in life.

However, when the selection process has NOTHING to do with me whatsoever, what use is being unrealistically positive about the outcome?

I'd rather have realistic expectations about things that I have no influence on and can't change. Then, if something amazing happens, I will have seen my expectations surpassed. Which will be fantastic. 

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

What you said. I'd like to add that we've played a lot of teams who, judging form over the first quarter of the season, seem destined to be in a relegation battle. We won a couple of those games with last minute goals and then we drew against the likes of Ipswich, Reading and Preston. In those games we were incapable of putting any pressure on 10-man Ipswich (apparently—I didn't see it) and were ripped to pieces and literally fell apart against Preston. When we've played the better teams, bar Brentford and that one-off performance (where we scraped a draw but were arguably the better team), we got absolutely nailed by Sheffield United, beaten by Sheffield Wednesday and, fair enough, drew in a in-normal-circumstances-acceptable result against Bristol.

Exactly! It’s probably one of the easiest starts on a paper a team could wish for. We should be top. I’m dreading to see what happens when we come up against a team like Leeds. I’m hoping we’re much improved by then. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Brentford and maybe Blackburn aside we have been fairly clinical. We’re not creating enough. With the players we have we should be carving out a lot more chances throught creativity and movement. 

We need to dominate games and put teams on the back foot. Again like we did against Brentford for 70 minutes. 

This is what I’m hoping a new manager can bring but the problem is it will take time and we also may have to many weaknesses in certain areas for the whole team to be able to play a certain way. 

Yep totally agree. We have been playing long ball football in most games this season which has seen us entirely bypass the midfield, or have set the team up in such a way that the players are more intent on hitting the wings rather than the middle of the pitch.

Back on topic this is where we can now sort this problem out by bringing in a manager who has had teams playing a possesion based game, attacking with intent. Managers like Allardyce, Moyes, McCarthy don't do this often enough to change our game enough. I'm unsure about Dean Smith but when you look at the Brentford team he has assembled this is exactly the style he has them playing.

Just now, One For The Road said:

I made it clear in one of my last posts that if you have the chance to do something about a situation them being positive is crucial. I have become very successful by having a positive mindset in my life.

However, when the selection process has NOTHING to do with me whatsoever, what use is being unrealistically positive about the outcome?

Nobody has any influence or are suggesting that they do. I don’t see how not having control of a situation alters anything on a forum. Surely it’s what you believe that those who do have influence, in this case the board, can achieve. Unless you have their ear then it’s all just speculation, which is the point of the whole thing. 

Just now, gaffer85 said:

So was Henry in the summer I think they even suspended betting at one point 

very true and i did well out of skybet on jack staying too...but they are also often right

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Moyes is now the 6/5 favourite...bookies don't tend to be wrong, god help us if there's any truth in this

Bookies are not wrong just before the appointment...any other time they are!

4 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Nobody has any influence or are suggesting that they do. I don’t see how not having control of a situation alters anything on a forum. Surely it’s what you believe that those who do have influence, in this case the board, can achieve. Unless you have their ear then it’s all just speculation, which is the point of the whole thing. 

You said I should have a positive mindset about a situation if which I have no control. I disagreed for the reasons I stated. 

I will remain realistic since I cannot positively affect the process.

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Moyes is now the 6/5 favourite...bookies don't tend to be wrong, god help us if there's any truth in this

They do in the manager markets.

It only takes a relatively small amount of money to move the market. 

Its difficult when just watching the odds, but I remember just prior to RDM - Radio WM had a bookie on saying he had taken a single £10k bet on RDM being the next manager - at that point I knew it was done.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gaffer85 said:

So was Henry in the summer I think they even suspended betting at one point 

They suspended betting on Moyes a few years back too. It’s all computer algorithms based on money lumped on. In a relatively small market like this it’s about as reliable as Glen Whelan’s penalty taking. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

They're very commonly wrong. We've been here so many times...money goes on one name, odds reduce. Money goes on another name, odds reduce for that one.

Yep. It's a totally stupid market to bet on unless you are ITK about who the manager is going to be and consequently people don't bet on it much. Moving the odds around creates interest too. Not worth reading into at this point. 

I just hope we aren't all pinning our hopes on George Mendes as some kind of all seeing saviour with the midas touch to repeat what he's done at wolves. Great if it works out that way of course....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, praisedmambo said:

They're very commonly wrong. We've been here so many times...money goes on one name, odds reduce. Money goes on another name, odds reduce for that one.

Yep. If the bookies were not often wrong as the poster suggested, then they would need to not have 10 different favourites during a managerial search process.

In fact, the odds that reflect the betting (not the bookies wild opinion) are MOSTLY wrong, if you take the process as a whole.

• Like 1