New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Bizarre comment, has he even got his eufa pro licence?

He has been involved in management. He was the national manager for Thailand or something like that. 

But no thanks Peter.  Keep the legendary status and walk away. 

6 minutes ago, hippo said:

Rodgers is unlikley to come - Wilder is managing his boyhood club and doesn't look likley to move - and the way Smith spoke sounds like he isn't expecting the call.

I've watched the Smith interview a couple of times, and it was the biggest "make me an offer" hint he could drop without wearing a Villa shirt and scarf, and singing "My Old Man"!

I agree with you about how managing his boyhood club might rule out Wilder, but he got Northampton promoted two years ago with 99 goals scored, moved to Sheffield Utd and got them promoted in his first season with 100 goals scored. There's an ambitious upwardly mobile streak in Wilder if we can press the right buttons.

Rodgers is almost certainly not going to come, due to both contract and pride, but if he was approached with a compelling and potentially very rewarding project you never know.

The above reasons are why I put Smith, Wilder and Rodgers in that order.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

Rodgers is unlikley to come - Wilder is managing his boyhood club and doesn't look likley to move - and the way Smith spoke sounds like he isn't expecting the call.

So much for pragmatism.  

Just now, villabromsgrove said:

I've watched the Smith interview a couple of times, and it was the biggest "make me an offer" hint he could drop without wearing a Villa shirt and scarf, and singing "My Old Man"!

I agree with you about how managing his boyhood club might rule out Wilder, but he got Northampton promoted two years ago with 99 goals scored, moved to Sheffield Utd and got them promoted in his first season with 100 goals scored. There's an ambitious upwardly mobile streak in Wilder if we can press the right buttons.

Rodgers is almost certainly not going to come, due to both contract and pride, but if he was approached with a compelling and potentially very rewarding project you never know.

The above reasons are why I put Smith, Wilder and Rodgers in that order.

I didn't quite see like that myself - not saying your wrong - but if he feels the need to put such calls out, it would tell me he isn't currently under consideration......in reality....who knows,.......anything ?

Smith's response to the question was blatantly a version of "I'm under contract at another club, do you honestly expect me to say anything else?"

I don't think it means he hasn't been approached, nor that he's been offered the job already and is waiting for the formalities to complete.

He may have been approached, but he 100% did not rule himself out.

I will say that if we haven't approached him already then it's very unlikely to happen, unless NSWE's first and second choice have been approached and said no.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBlack said:

Smith's response to the question was blatantly a version of "I'm under contract at another club, do you honestly expect me to say anything else?"

I don't think it means he hasn't been approached, nor that he's been offered the job already and is waiting for the formalities to complete.

He may have been approached, but he 100% did not rule himself out.

I will say that if we haven't approached him already then it's very unlikely to happen, unless NSWE's first and second choice have been approached and said no.

I will be surprised if its a manager at another club - I think it will be an out of work manager

37 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Smith and Wilder would both hit the ground running playing against opposition that they know really well.

We had Bruce who knew all this too and it didn’t work, like Bruce they could set us up against teams with weaknesses etc in mind which in theory is fine however there is a slippery slope which could turn it into defensive dull football especially if the results aren’t there, Bruce lost the balance completely, there are no guarantees anymore in football. For me we need a style of play, a pattern to identify the club. No more shortism, we are most likely going to fail FFP so long term thinking is a must in my opinion, if we go up this season great if not we need a plan and need to stick to it.

Just now, hippo said:

The sex pistols drummer ? - its a thought I suppose - certainly give us something to shout about.

?

Latest name to see the odds tumble. No sign of Malcolm McLaren as DoF I'm pleased to report. ?

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I will be surprised if its a manager at another club - I think it will be an out of work manager

I suspect it's more likely to be an out of work manager, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we pried someone away from an existing position.

Others have said we've got more to offer than the average job that comes around every so often, and certainly more than enough to tempt any existing championship manager (newly hired managers excluded).

The FFP implications are negligible compared with what will need to happen if we don't get promoted so worth paying a few million to release a manager that is the right choice, and I am currently confident enough that NSWE will not appoint their 4th/5th/6th choice just because they're not currently employed.

If their first choice is unemployed who do you think that would be?

2 minutes ago, hooter said:

?

Latest name to see the odds tumble. No sign of Malcolm McLaren as DoF I'm pleased to report. ?

W eve had worse combos - and the managers position is pretty vacant at the moment.

• Haha 1

Dean smith would come cause he is a life long fan, an the 2 million a year salary, I think he's on around £100k at Brentford.

Again though, we would destroy him here, he's Lambert mk2. No disrespect, but he's just not a big enough name to handle the Ego's that go with 80k+ a week players. an he's not ready for Premiership football. I think he may move forward with another club soon enough, an I wish him all the best in his career, but he needs to steer clear from our club for the moment especially while he's enjoying his football with Brentford.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I suspect it's more likely to be an out of work manager, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we pried someone away from an existing position.

Others have said we've got more to offer than the average job that comes around every so often, and certainly more than enough to tempt any existing championship manager (newly hired managers excluded).

The FFP implications are negligible compared with what will need to happen if we don't get promoted so worth paying a few million to release a manager that is the right choice, and I am currently confident enough that NSWE will not appoint their 4th/5th/6th choice just because they're not currently employed.

If their first choice is unemployed who do you think that would be?

I think Carvallho 

18 minutes ago, hippo said:

The sex pistols drummer ? - its a thought I suppose - certainly give us something to shout about.

He would just use us as a stepping stone.