New Manager Speculation

maqroll

3 hours ago, rubberman said:

I know it's ridiculously unlikely but a Wenger/Henry team as DoF/Head Coach would give me a warm feeling in my pants.

You'd shit yourself?  Seems a bit negative.  I think it could work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't it between RDM and Moyes for the job 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure Moyes didn't want it as we were in the championship. Nothing has changed on that front and he is hardly the 'statement of intent' the new owners are keen to make. These days he is more a statement of failure. 

• Like 2

I really hope we go for Smith, Fonseca or someone of that ilk. Someone who is renowned for exciting football, getting the best out of players but also has a track record of success. If we get Henry or Terry I would be mortified as they have no experience and we are literally taking a huge punt based on their playing career. I also think the fans need a breath of fresh air after 2 years of Bruce and I don't think someone like Allardyce will deliver that regardless of whether they get us more organised. There have also been a lot of names thrown around who have a foreign name but a very mixed record e.g. Sanchez Flores, AVB, Garcia. I hope if we do get a foreign coach it is for the right reasons as we all remember what happened with Remi Garde.

People keep saying Smith has only been successful because he has a big team around him who are great coaches in their respective areas. Well surely that's what we should be trying to replicate anyway rather than just getting a manager and saying here you run everything. I don't think any manager would thrive under those conditions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Wasn't it between RDM and Moyes for the job 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure Moyes didn't want it as we were in the championship. Nothing has changed on that front and he is hardly the 'statement of intent' the new owners are keen to make. These days he is more a statement of failure. 

He said last year after he relegated Sunderland that he was a top 6 manager. Deluded freak

It's very hard to believe that the search only began at 4.00 last night. 

They surely knew this was coming or at least were planning for it.  The £2.7m was injected last week which looks increasingly like it was for the pay off. 

I am certain they must know who they want and would have done a fair amount of sounding out.  It's just very hard to believe they were surprised to find themselves in sacking mode yesterday and though "bugger me, we had better start a manager search now then."

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Why, whenever Henry is mentioned, is it only ever seen as a risk and only the negative side of the debate/argument is brought up??? Based on literally nothing.

What if appointing him turns out to be a masterstroke and he totally revolutionises the club???

I certainly can’t say how it would turn out but I’d rather greet such speculation with excitement rather than complete pessimism.

Surely the board and whoever is employed to research and find our new manager has more of an idea than any of us?

The negative side isn't base on nothing. Which isn't to say that there couldn't be a positive outcome...but most people I think would accept that he's untried, untested and unfamiliar with this division? The positives, as I said above is this type of gamble has worked in the past, at for example Chelsea. There are a long list of great players who haven't hacked it at all as managers.

It's fine to be excited about such a possibility. But equally, I can remember being, er, chastised for my concerns about and "not getting behind" SB before he was appointed. For once in my life I was exactly right that time. Other times I've been wrong (more often). But go back and read any thread speculating on a new manager and you'll see a mix of views about different possibilities. Some people end up right, and some wrong. I get the desire to be positive and hope for better results and football and future - I share it. Equally, it's not exactly unique to have concerns about an untested candidate. Any appointment is a risk, and most end up as failures to one degree or another. I hope whoever it is does really well. I just can't think of any comparable situations where a big name untried manager has stormed it in the way you hope and revolutionises a club. Even going abroad, and looking at the top managers now, most were unknowns, or never World class players, when they started managing. Klopp, Mourinho, Guardiola (good player)...most are not world cup winners. But to end on a positive, willingness to start lower down is a good sign, and he would attract players and assistants through reputation. So here's hoping for the best, Jas.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why the hell is moyes odds on. I don’t like it.

Because he is a manager without a job, but I guarantee our owners have no intention of even interviewing him. Same goes for McCarthy and Osorio. 

David Moyes hasn't managed a club outside the top flight in nearly twenty years. We're a big club but also in a big mess.

I'd love us to hire AVB as well, but some of you are deluded. Moyes is about our level.

As others have said, I suspect our next incumbent, and possibly his back up staff, is already in place and will be announced on Monday.

I would be rather alarmed if our owners had not seen Bruce's dismissal as being imminent and had not made alternative arrangements.

24 minutes ago, blandy said:

I just can't think of any comparable situations where a big name untried manager has stormed it in the way you hope and revolutionises a club.

This is where the idea of Henry and Wenger is attractive.  It's not an impossible prospect - while Wenger wouldn't move from Arsenal to us as manager, the idea of being elder statesman to his protege would possibly make it a respectable and almost altruistic move, instead of a big step down as a mark of failure.  And having Wenger around would definitely offer a lot of reassurance against an untested young manager otherwise without recourse to a trusted, massively experienced mentor.

• Like 2

If we appoint a 'tried and tested' British manager I'll be more than a bit annoyed. Moyes especially, he's a busted flush.

That's been proven not to work more recently. We need someone who brings in new ideas. 

We need a fresh approach in all aspects of what we do.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, peterms said:

This is where the idea of Henry and Wenger is attractive.  It's not an impossible prospect - while Wenger wouldn't move from Arsenal to us as manager, the idea of being elder statesman to his protege would possibly make it a respectable and almost altruistic move, instead of a big step down as a mark of failure.  And having Wenger around would definitely offer a lot of reassurance against an untested young manager otherwise without recourse to a trusted, massively experienced mentor.

It's a nice thought but i doubt it will happen.