New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Henry would be act of gross stupidity - coming close to Remi Garde proportions. It might a statement of intent  - but it would probably be a very short lived one..........all IMO of course.

Possibly. I'm not wise enough to know one way or the other, but you're right in so much as no one has any evidence either way, but there's clearly a big risk with a totally untried candidate. They have worked elsewhere in the past - Ruud Gullit, for example - similar big name reputation as a player, able to attract other players similarly well known and good quality. But that was at  a London Club in big league, not Championship, and Brum, which is a harder sell.

The thing that strikes me is we have new owners with no experience, a CEO with some Prem. league experience, but not masses - 4 years across Liverpool and Chelsea, is it? So the concern is that there's a high risk of making a duff appointment through lack of knowledge, couple with whoever, good or bad, comes in will have to deal with the unbalanced squad Bruce has left - Piles of right backs, midfielders and forwards, and few centre backs, left backs or decent 'keepers. Whoever it is will struggle to fix that mess in the short term. Bruce's biggest failing IMO is what we've got as a squad - he had too much choice, really - given too much rope, so he didn't work with what he had, so much as discard that player and get another, then another, then another. There is no short term fix, and FFP is going to bite. The need is to rebuild with fewer players, but fitting a profile that is of good quality, good age and capable of playing a style that will both gain promotion and then allow us to stay up. There's no coaching staff, and reduced scouting available to whoever it is, too.

I think the most likely outcome is someone expensive, with no experience and they're going to struggle and we'll get caught up in the same cycle again. Hope I'm wrong.

• Like 4

I would think it is overwhelmingly likely that we will get someone who is out of  a job. The last time we poached a manager from another club midwway through the season was nearly 21 years ago when we hired Gregory from the mighty Wycombe Wanderers. The betting list is about as accurate as chucking darts on some managers faces. I also presume they have someone lined up fairly sharpish or why would you sack the entire coaching staff. But Villa never make any sense so expect Kevin Mac to be the caretaker for about a month.

Edited by The Fun Factory

16 hours ago, Skills said:

why not go straight to the source in Wenger?  with Henry as his assistant / successor in a couple years

I know it might sound unrealistic, but the challenge might be what Wenger is looking for at this stage of his career...  worth the conversation imo

Why not go straight to the source on a Thursday? Wenger?! He is basically retired and why would he come back to Britain to manage Villa.  He either get a well paid job in Asia or some sort of technical job with the French FA.

• Like 1

So just to summarise the believability of the various sources in order and positioned relative to each other on the believability scale, with the top ones being the most trustworthy.

The OS

The Telegraph

VillaReport on Twitter

Matt Kendrick

Facebook

Other people on Twitter

Daily Mail

Next door's cat

The Star

Total Guesswork

Birmingham Live

Reading the Tea Leaves

Sky Sports News

Birmingham Mail

James Nursery

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Why, whenever Henry is mentioned, is it only ever seen as a risk and only the negative side of the debate/argument is brought up??? Based on literally nothing.

What if appointing him turns out to be a masterstroke and he totally revolutionises the club???

I certainly can’t say how it would turn out but I’d rather greet such speculation with excitement rather than complete pessimism.

Surely the board and whoever is employed to research and find our new manager has more of an idea than any of us?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jim said:

True, but technically it was Helena Costa, but she left after a month.

Ha technically Diacre is the only woman to have managed a men's professional team in an actual game...and she lasted three years or something and did a good job by many accounts at a club with the lowest budget in ligue 2 (or whatever it's called). She only left to take over the French Women's national team, which seems a shame considering she is a legitimate pioneer. 

Current pet subject...I had some work related to this topic. I think there was another woman coach in Italy in a similar situation to Costa. My memory is bad. On another note, I'm shocked Corinne Diacre wasn't/isn't more widely known. She only left the post fairly recently. Me i had no idea.

Edited by praisedmambo

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Why, whenever Henry is mentioned, is it only ever seen as a risk and only the negative side of the debate/argument is brought up??? Based on literally nothing.

What if appointing him turns out to be a masterstroke and he totally revolutionises the club???

I certainly can’t say how it would turn out but I’d rather greet such speculation with excitement rather than complete pessimism.

Surely the board and whoever is employed to research and find our new manager has more of an idea than any of us?

Name the positive side of the argument?

He could work out.  He might be great.  However, there is absolutely nothing to base this on.  What is absolutely certain is that he'd be a risky appointment because he has zero managerial experience.  It would be interesting to see how he'd get on, but it's entirely understandable to see his appointment as risky.  He's only appealing because he's a big name, IMO.

I think that judging by the high number of rumours, linking us to loads of different potential new managers, it’s fair to say that the press haven’t got a clue. NSWE definitely keep their cards close to their chests.