New Manager Speculation

maqroll

Talking to a mate today comparing Villa & Wolves and he made the point that he could see Wolves dumping Nuno for Wenger if the opportunity arose but he couldn't see Villa dumping Bruce if we got promoted or narrowly missed out for Wenger or an-other.  We then got talking of ambition and he made the point that just because (in his opinion) Villa wouldn't dump the manager in the pursuit of success does not show a lack of ambition just the clubs have set on different paths to reach this goal and I ended up agreeing with him..... that it would be unfair to accuse them of being unambitious  if they stuck on their chosen path... I don't think it is the right path personally but that I shouldn't use my (biased) personal opinion against Bruce cloud how ambitious the club is.... begrudgingly I concede this point.   

I can't see them dumping Bruce for the sake of it.... sadly imo but there you go... time will tell! 

• Like 1

I have a feeling he'll leave at the end of the season and not for footballing reasons, his dad passed and he's mom is ill as a manager his head isn't fully in the job which is perfectly reasonable with his situation. I think he'll take note of that and step aside, not that I want him to I think he's done very well at steadying the ship and pushing us forward the worst thing we can really do is have another upheaval of manager and backroom staff that rocks the boat wether we get promoted or don't

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alexbass08 said:

I have a feeling he'll leave at the end of the season and not for footballing reasons, his dad passed and he's mom is ill as a manager his head isn't fully in the job which is perfectly reasonable with his situation. I think he'll take note of that and step aside, not that I want him to I think he's done very well at steadying the ship and pushing us forward the worst thing we can really do is have another upheaval of manager and backroom staff that rocks the boat wether we get promoted or don't

What evidence of this do you have?

Or has assumption become fact, yet again.

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

What evidence of this do you have?

Or has assumption become fact, yet again.

Hasn't been at a post match briefing in a while, maybe my wording was wrong 'torn between 2 places' may have been better

Edited by Alexbass08

11 minutes ago, Alexbass08 said:

Hasn't been at a post match briefing in a while, maybe my wording was wrong 'torn between 2 places' may have been better

apart from every game in April other than Ipswich...

from what I've seen in spite of his family troubles he has still been kicking every ball

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

apart from every game in April other than Ipswich...

from what I've seen in spite of his family troubles he has still been kicking every ball

Yep and he was at last nights game at derby and at Fulham on Friday night - he is very committed to the job .

• Like 1

I think I'm coming round to think him staying may not be such a bad move next year even if we stay down. Maybe.  I don't think any side has the capacity to do a Wolves, or has the personnel and maanger to do a Fulham, looking at the likes of Stoke, Southampton, WBA coming down. They will be solid sides, like Middlesborough, and Derby, and Cardiff again, but even with our own restricted means, we would still be able to realistically aim for another promo tilt I think. Not unhappy if he leaves though.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, thabucks said:

Talking to a mate today comparing Villa & Wolves and he made the point that he could see Wolves dumping Nuno for Wenger if the opportunity arose but he couldn't see Villa dumping Bruce if we got promoted or narrowly missed out for Wenger or an-other.  We then got talking of ambition and he made the point that just because (in his opinion) Villa wouldn't dump the manager in the pursuit of success does not show a lack of ambition just the clubs have set on different paths to reach this goal and I ended up agreeing with him..... that it would be unfair to accuse them of being unambitious  if they stuck on their chosen path... I don't think it is the right path personally but that I shouldn't use my (biased) personal opinion against Bruce cloud how ambitious the club is.... begrudgingly I concede this point.   

I can't see them dumping Bruce for the sake of it.... sadly imo but there you go... time will tell! 

a]  That's a pretty hypothetical line right there.  Your mate reckons Nuno is getting the boot, presumably?

b]  Well... no.  I'd be pretty gutted if we got rid of a manager "for the sake of it".  If he's unsuccessful, sure.  But for the sake of it?!  No thanks.

On 25/04/2018 at 19:56, Rodders said:

I think I'm coming round to think him staying may not be such a bad move next year even if we stay down. Maybe.  I don't think any side has the capacity to do a Wolves, or has the personnel and maanger to do a Fulham, looking at the likes of Stoke, Southampton, WBA coming down. They will be solid sides, like Middlesborough, and Derby, and Cardiff again, but even with our own restricted means, we would still be able to realistically aim for another promo tilt I think. Not unhappy if he leaves though.

I agreed that the 3 relegated teams from premier league this played a similiar style to Villa , even their managers are alike : Lambert / Hughes, Pullis, Pardew. I am sure there maybe other underlying reasons for their relegation, but I would say the main reason would be their style of play.. 

If we wish to be stay up if promoted & avoid the same fate as those 3 coming down,  shouldn’t we be changing our current style our play, to a more progressive one ? 

As I am a Chinese Villa Fan, just want to understand from a local prospective why there’s seemed a strong support for this direct style of football , despite lots of evidence suggesting these will not succeed in current Premier league. Pogba recent double against Citeh is the only exception in my view, but it don’t happen often. 

Just want to understand more. Sorry if my post offend anyone. Cheers.

• Like 1

On 24/04/2018 at 14:56, thabucks said:

If we somehow go up, keeping Bruce is not ambitious. The man is a known failure at premier league level. Bruceball makes me sad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Digavilla said:

I agreed that the 3 relegated teams from premier league this played a similiar style to Villa , even their managers are alike : Lambert / Hughes, Pullis, Pardew. I am sure there maybe other underlying reasons for their relegation, but I would say the main reason would be their style of play.. 

If we wish to be stay up if promoted & avoid the same fate as those 3 coming down,  shouldn’t we be changing our current style our play, to a more progressive one ? 

As I am a Chinese Villa Fan, just want to understand from a local prospective why there’s seemed a strong support for this direct style of football , despite lots of evidence suggesting these will not succeed in current Premier league. Pogba recent double against Citeh is the only exception in my view, but it don’t happen often. 

Just want to understand more. Sorry if my post offend anyone. Cheers.

I think we've played some lovely football at times this season. My problem has been that when we have gone behind in games Bruce seemed to have gone a bit off kilter and simply decided that the only tactic is to put a big man up front,surround him with strikers, and hope someone can stick a knovk-down in the back of the net. Which, to be fair, hadn't happened too many times this season, overall. 

Having said that, I do understand your point about the qualities of the managers whose clubs will probably be relegated. You could definitely say Bruce is from that genre of manager and maybe that type is no longer for the top flight of English football. The way Wolves and Fulham have played this season, maybe it will no longer be good enough for the Championship!

Edited by villarocker
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, villakram said:

If we somehow go up, keeping Bruce is not ambitious. The man is a known failure at premier league level. Bruceball makes me sad.

known failure? think this is more mud throwing and hoping it sticks (shamelessly plagiarising @bannedfromHandV ) Bruces PL record below. Is it anything to write home about? well it somewhat is considering the finishing places and the size/caliber of the teams

image.png.de971e671e5e15240e4749298a53e45e.png

Edited by tomav84
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

known failure? think this is more mud throwing and hoping it sticks (shamelessly plagiarising @bannedfromHandV ) Bruces PL record below. Is it anything to write home about? well it somewhat is considering the finishing places and the size/caliber of the teams

image.png.de971e671e5e15240e4749298a53e45e.png

"Known failure" is a huge overexaggerration

The guy has a ceiling, and if we really are ambitious then we can't afford to keep him for years and years.
But there's absolutely no reason why he can't keep us up and get us to mid table in a season or two back in the prem.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

"Known failure" is a huge overexaggerration

The guy has a ceiling, and if we really are ambitious then we can't afford to keep him for years and years.
But there's absolutely no reason why he can't keep us up and get us to mid table in a season or two back in the prem.

Exactly, as long as the Doctor gives him a decent pot of money to spend which I should think is likely, Bruce should be able to get mid-table if we go up.  Then when it's time to push on to the next level, get someone else in. 

A decent pot of money... been there and he's made a mess of that so far. The man doesn't have a clue how to spend money correctly and is always moaning for one more special player. It would be nice if he actually improved a playing staff.

Plus, the football is horrible. The football that Brum team played 12yrs ago(!!!) was eye gougingly bad. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villakram said:

A decent pot of money... been there and he's made a mess of that so far. The man doesn't have a clue how to spend money correctly and is always moaning for one more special player. It would be nice if he actually improved a playing staff.

Plus, the football is horrible. The football that Brum team played 12yrs ago(!!!) was eye gougingly bad. 

Lolz

I think Bruce normally has been good at spending money and bringing in the right players. I think the expensive flops, if you could even call them that, were unlucky rather than bad buys. The likes of Cana and Gyan I think?? Were very good players before and after Sunderland.