New Manager Speculation

maqroll

On 15/08/2018 at 12:55, villa89 said:

He'd jump at the chance to manage us. He's far from a shoe in for a premier league job given that his "achievements" at Celtic amount to zero (IMO). A blind donkey could win the league/cup/league cup with them. There is no competition. 

I don’t think he would drop into the championship - if we go up then obviously it’s a whole new ball game , if we got into the premier league I’d certainly go for Rafa or Rodgers .

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Paul Cook seems to be doing a very good at Wigan. 

He'd sort us out yes.

Bit of an old school look about him, but he's a modern manager with multiple ways to play.

Will be interesting to see who's on the short list when the time comes. I honestly think that financial clout will go a long way in attracting a big name. And the time is coming, they may want promotion ASAP, but unlike Tony who needed it to also stave off financial meltdown, these guys will take their time and that IMHO makes them less likely to stand by Bruce when the barren spell comes around. 

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

He'd sort us out yes.

Bit of an old school look about him, but he's a modern manager with multiple ways to play.

I was quite impressed with them a VP the other week. They certainly tried to take the game to us, and considering they have just been promoted, and we view ourselves as promotion contenders, they did well. 

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Will be interesting to see who's on the short list when the time comes. I honestly think that financial clout will go a long way in attracting a big name. And the time is coming, they may want promotion ASAP, but unlike Tony who needed it to also stave off financial meltdown, these guys will take their time and that IMHO makes them less likely to stand by Bruce when the barren spell comes around. 

Being super rich businessmen and making the right decisions in their area of expertise doesn't always cross over to the world of sport.  

I think the best decision they will make would be to acknowledge their lack of experience in this field and employ the very best "big name" CEO they can to make the footballing decisions for them. 

But i take your point and agree with it. I think their stewardship of the club will be very different from Lerner and Xia. They are used to succeeding and i don't think they will except any diffetent here. 

I've just watched the Huddersfield v Man City game. What an absolute pleasure.

Before anyone jumps on me for daring to make a Villa Man City comparison because of the sheer class of their players, I'm just in awe of the meticulously coached speedy one touch passing and instant high press when they do give the ball away. That doesn't just happen by sending eleven very good players out on the pitch on match day, it takes a hell of a lot of detailed technical coaching and It really is a joy to watch.

On Wednesday night one of the possible new manager candidates will be having an interview at Villa Park. Dean Smith's Brentford will bring their version of the quick passing high pressing game to VP with an infinitely cheaper bunch of players than Man City, or indeed us with our over priced Championship squad. I always enjoy watching Brentford even when they've 'schooled' us recently. Hopefully we can stick a few in the net and send them away with nothing, although that would mean Smith failing his interview! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Alakagom said:

If Huddersfield sack Wagner  after poor start we would swoop immediately. 

The fact Huddersfield stayed up last season is extraordinary. Their team is Championship quality. 

I would love for this to happen.

But Huddersfield would never sack him.

They cannot attract anything better than Wagner.

34 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I would love for this to happen.

But Huddersfield would never sack him.

They cannot attract anything better than Wagner.

I think we will always be playing catch up if we target success from last season or the season before, and pay over the odds. We need vision, from those in charge, and to achieve something original which makes the best of our decent components. We have most of the necessary ingredients, we now just need someone with vision to come in and make it happen. Foook knows who that is, but you'd hope our owners do. 

Wagner plays some proper defensive football, the year they were promoted they were the one of the lowest scorers in the top half including not scoring once in any play off game. Last season they was the lowest scorers in the prem. I rate the guy as a manager, can't deny he's good and I'd take him over Bruce but if people expected him to come and we play this free flowing football then forget it, we'd win 1 0 more times than we did with Bruce. 

Edited by holteend1982
  • Like 1

Would not be surprised if Mendes was working on bringing in a Manager whilst we use Bruce's contacts to bring in loans.

I was all for Bruce as I genuinely thought he would have learned his lessons from last season. 

Games so far this season have showed that he is completely reluctant to evolve. Yesterday we played the same way and made the same mistakes as we would have done in Bruce's first season. There are no signs of progression atall - he just refuses to learn and develop. 

I really like Bruce, but tactical acumen is critical in the modern game. 

Edited by Pimlico_Villa
  • Like 2

Bruce cannot adapt to the modern game, even now in Championship, football is changing. If we got promoted and kept Bruce I would have been the first to bet we would have gone straight back down.

The problem here is, we can sign good players, but they have to play to Bruce's outdated tactics, which then in turn shows their limitations. I.e the Hogan's,, kodja's etc.

Definately need a Wagner, Eddie Howe type. Dean Smith, as I said before, is a Championship manager with no pressure, he would struggle his ass off with AVFC, more so in the Premiership.

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

I don’t think he would drop into the championship - if we go up then obviously it’s a whole new ball game , if we got into the premier league I’d certainly go for Rafa or Rodgers .

Exactly.

But while we're here, Rodgers or Benitez won't be looking twice at us.

No wonder some people are so desperate for Bruce to go if they really think these guys would come here so easily.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Rogers? Really? The guy could easily get a Premier League job.

I think the chance to manage a club the size of villa with wealthy owners is a much more enticing proposition than managing the likes of Brighton, Huddersfield, Burnley or Watford. 

3 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Why do people think that Dean Smith is the mastermind in how Brentford play?

He is their head coach..

They have a head of philosophy at their club for one.

I dont get it either. they are permanently mid table mainly due to defensive frailities. the manager has the 0layers purchased for him..

Smith would be totally unqualified for the villa job

If we are going to get a new manager I dont want us shopping for British/Irish plodders again. Brendan Rodgers aside, I would have him in a heartbeat. Beyond that though foreign, modern and progressive please. If we are gonna make a change the last thing I want is "Bruce lite" which is what 99% of British managers are.

• Like 1