New Manager Speculation

maqroll

4 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think he has - but left the door open by saying 'I haven't been asked' 

I think he said that before the interview where he was asked "Are you ruling yourself out?" and he replied "Yes".

5 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Whatever we do is a risk - we’ve gone down the tried and tested routes before and it’s not worked out - all  managers have to start somewhere 

I am hearing this alot - but lets not forget we have gambled on Garde and Sherwood as well - which were both pretty disastrous. 

6 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I think he said that before the interview where he was asked "Are you ruling yourself out?" and he replied "Yes".

Quote I read was that he couldnt rule himself out as he wasnt asked

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It can be twisted either way. Historically when a manager at another club indicates he isn't interested - generally thats the end of it.  There are exceptions of course , and I would like Rodgers,but it doesn't look likely IMO. 

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

I am hearing this alot - but lets not forget we have gambled on Garde and Sherwood as well - which were both pretty disastrous. 

I am hearing this a lot - admittedly mostly from you ?- but let’s not forget, Firstly, neither were rookies, Sherwood having managed Spurs for  6 months and Garde having managed Lyon for a couple of years ( with both having held other senior coaching roles beforehand ) - So its not the same thing.......and Secondly, what difference does it make that 2 brief flirtations with relatively inexperienced Managers didn’t work out ? You surely aren’t suggesting that any Club ‘risking’ an unproven Manager is asking for trouble ?

If it were the case that unproven Managers were a dangerous idea nobody would hire them, then, when all the experienced ones die out, there’d be nobody left !?

Thirdly, The weight of PROVEN managers that have done nothing, or very little, with us, far, far, far outweighs the bit of nothing Sherwood and Garde did.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, hippo said:

Can't see that being a problem TBH. I don't think it will come to interview either - I would doubt Smith or Rodgers would attend an interview behind there current clubs back. If we had permission from the clubs, for say Rodgers - then decide not to offer him the job - is he supposed to go back to Celtic and them he is 100% committed to the cause ?

I think we find out on the qt if any in work manager interested  - (this was happening last week imo) - Then all villa gurus sit down and identify top target of those that are get-table - he would then come for talks knowing the job is pretty much in the bag - it can all go wrong of course with a very public 'no' -  At this point most in job run for cover as they know they are second choice.

I think if we go through the proper channels to seek permission to speak to them all will be fine. I'd be shocked if Brentford dig their heels in if we look to speak to Smith.  Rodgers might be a bit messy, could see them say no, and he would only resign from Celtic if 100% he knew he had the villa job.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake

20 minutes ago, hippo said:

You keep saying this. But it's not remotely the same in any way shape or form is it? Both hired under an absent uninterested owner, with a poor board, and I just cannot understand how you can think garde was even given half a chance, completely shafted by the club, couldn't bring his own team in and wasn't allowed to buy any players.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

If it's as close as people are making 'its a done deal' etc he wouldn't be with Belgium....

Lol...they are still paying him! Of course he will be with Belgium until asked/told otherwise!  He can't just up sticks and walk off the training ground....if he did he, the signs wouldn't be too good would they?