New Manager Speculation

maqroll

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

So we are getting a very inexperienced manager and having  the assistant with zero managerial experience? Only at the Villa.

Based on last season John Terry was both a vital center-back and our manager. When we lost him over the Summer we lost everything as no one at the club seemed to listen to Steve Bruce.

Getting Terry in as assistant manager is likely the smartest thing any owner could do right now. Terry may come in as assistant, but he'll be the boss on the touchline guaranteed and that's assuming he doesn't also decide to play.

• Like 2

If the speculation is true.

I am slightly concerned because we are all venturing into the unknown. I would prefer Henry to bring experience with him to his backroom staff.

I will be excited because we don't know what the outcome of this new set up will be but it is very rare that something like this mid season works well.

I have reservations if our sporting director is Pitarch because he is more focus on recruitment opposed to creating some blueprint at the club.

I hope it works.

So just to recap.

Fonsenca, Benitez, Houghton and Howe are all out of our league and we are crazy to even suggest them.

Wilder and Smith would be out of their league as Aston Villa is to big for them.

Sam, Pardew, Warnock and McCarthy are dinosaurs, we want some exciting.

Faria, Henry, and Terry would be no good because they have no experience. 

I'm sure their are loads of others our there that don't fall into one of those categories :trollface:

Seriously though, i don't envy the person who's making the decisions, seems whichever way he goes some fans aren't going to be happy. 

Edited by av1

Genuinely intrigued by the enthusiasm for Rodgers, he has managed Celtic during a time where their fiercest rivals have been recovering from a financial meltdown. On that basis surely Gordon Strachan and Neil Lennon are sensible candidates also?

• Like 1

Just now, Sidmon said:

Genuinely intrigued by the enthusiasm for Rodgers, he has managed Celtic during a time where their fiercest rivals have been recovering from a financial meltdown. On that basis surely Gordon Strachan and Neil Lennon are sensible candidates also?

Are we just going to ignore everything Rodgers did before Celtic then?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Nigel said:

That clip of Henry now irritates me more than the supposed fact about Dean Smith's inability to get out of bed without the machine behind him!

He has zero knowledge of even seeing how this one plan will work out in reality. It's easy talking a game but management is no where near this easy!

He may be the best thing since sliced bread but the fact is it's a complete shot in the dark! 

Why would it irritate you? Should it not excite you that he maybe bringing that brand of football with him as you can see he firmly believes in it. 

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Sometimes a new dawn.......needs new thinking.

fortune really does favour the brave.

I never thought I'd be more cautious than you TRO, when it comes to a change of manager?!

I applaud your optimism and willingness to take risks, I genuinely do, but the pragmatist in side of me is saying "one step at a time, let's take two smaller steps ( a manager to get us promoted, then possibly a big name and big ambitions replacement), rather than going all in on "big and sexy" now!

If it turns out to be Henry and Terry (which has the ring of 2+2 = 5 clickbait about it), I will do my best to bury my caution and become hugely excited about a new and dangerous project.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Off topic but Collymore really winds me up with his so called passionate tweets about his beloved Villa. He was an absolute disgrace with how he behaved when signed for us. One of the biggest let downs in my days as a villa fan. 

COLLYMORE OUT!!

Guessing you’ve never known someone who has mental health problems then.

• Like 2

Seen some dismiss Dean Smith on here, because of the size of Villa and how he wouldnt cope etc.

And also because he may not have the super structure that Brentford have created for themselves specially recruitment wise. 

Funnily enough, the 1st reason was the main one for some of our fans dismissing him when he was mentioned in our search for a manager.

He may not cope.

But he deserves a chance, and i think from what i saw yesterday your owners would be nothing but snobbish if they didnt atleast consider him.Henry, Terry, Faria, etc, they are names for one reason or another, but good managers? nobody knows, they may be awful, wouldnt be the first great players to be poor managers or the first good number 2 to suck as a number 1. 

Dean Smith came to Elland Road and did something that nobody has managed to do this season.

Yes teams have taken points of us, but they have done it by sitting behind the ball, conceding possession in huge amounts, taking advantage of every set piece they could, and hoping to nick a goal.

Thats sensible, i dont blame them for it no matter how frustrating it is, thats the best way to try and stop BielsaBall, especially at home in front of a feverish crowd. 

Brentford came yesterday.

Smith dropped a more creative midfielder for a more defensive one, they pressed us high at times, they dropped off at times and hit us on the break using the gaps we leave behind in the wide areas.

But they wernt defensive, more pragmatic then normal, sure, but they attacked, they had a decent amount of the ball, yes there is complaints about the ref, something us and Bees fans dont agree on, but they came to Elland Road, played us more at our own game and very much deserved there point. 

It was a superb show of tactical awareness and respect from Dean Smith, he showed respect for Bielsa by changing his approach slightly, but he also allowed his side to play there normal game when they could.  

There wont be many teams who come to Elland Road and take points of us in the manner Brentford did yesterday.

Dean Smith is a very good coach tactically, he has proven that he can consistently do a very solid job in the Championship while consistently losing key players, he plays great football, he gets the best out of his squad which was built on a budget far smaller then yours, and he is a Villa fan.

Seems the obvious choice really.

• Like 2

I’d be up for Rodgers. That’s the more risk free option, but we thought that with Bruce. Henry/Terry? Could be the start of a new era at villa, and could bring a lot of excitement to the club. I think Henry will become a good manager, so why not see if he can start here.