New Manager Speculation

maqroll

2 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I think this thread is proving to people that there's not much better than Bruce available currently. 

Depends on what we are looking for.

As we have no idea of the budget, salary or any other conditions the manager would be working under. Or what type of manager the club want's it's pretty difficult to come up with names that might fit.

There is a world of managers out there.

But if we are looking for another one in the same mold as Bruce then I agree we might as well keep him.

But I expect Bruce might wan't to take a year off from football considering all that has happened around him and the massive challenge next season will be here.

Jesus god no to both Smith and JT. 

If we could get Howe I’d be up for that but there is so much out there across the football world. Young and foreign, young and English, why? why? why? Age/nationality etc... doesn’t matter. Philosophy, progressiveness and application are the most important aspects not whether someone is fashionable in the moment.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, sne said:

Depends on what we are looking for.

Well if your looking for another year of excuses and us still being stuck in the championship Bruce is the man.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

I'll admit I don't know enough about Smith to stake a definite claim for him, but I think he'd offer us something different, and would be a lot safer than going for a total unknown quantity from abroad.

1 hour ago, Cliffy Biro said:

JT would not be a good option, how could anyone possibly say he is? Also he'll still play next year, he hasn't retired its just he wont be playing for us again.

I never wanted him as a player.

He's a racist, and as far as I'm concerned that can't be excused, ever.

17 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is exactly what we need. Someone with high standards and a commitment to playing football the right way, because higher press, pass and move is what delivers success in this day and age and not kick and rush, which has died out. We have to be committed to playing this sort of football. Bruce's biggest problem is defaulting to negative garbage and that is what has harmed us the most this season.

I'll have a bit of that.

34 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

I think this thread is proving to people that there's not much better than Bruce available currently. 

Trust me, there's plenty out there who could do a better job. Let's not go down that road of " who " ?

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Trust me, there's plenty out there who could do a better job. Let's not go down that road of " who " ?

Well the theme of the thread suggests we have to ask “who” Sheep! But I agree, there are plenty. It’s almost too late once we’ve heard of them as their next step is the PL. as fans we don’t have the knowledge or resources to find a good up and coming manager, but I’d hope the club do.

Two of the three promoted teams had managers who played a progressive attacking style, the third was Neil Warnock. But the thing they did all have in common was that they had a plan, the players knew what it was and they stuck to it. That for me was where we failed, not really knowing what our game plan was. 

2 hours ago, holteend1982 said:

No, it's merely proving that different people have different ideas about who might be better. 

Terry might be the best manager we've ever had. 

Smith might be absolutely brilliant. 

Alardyce might be a perfect fit and take us up and top six. 

But name any of a dozen managers and you will get a ton of people agreeing it's a great idea and a load saying they will never attend Villa Park again with them in charge. 

There are definitely better options that are better than Bruce. 

Then again Bruce might get us promoted at a canter next year 18 points ahead of Middlesbrough with Olbeyun, Sturk and Swansea finishing bottom 3.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

This is exactly what we need. Someone with high standards and a commitment to playing football the right way, because higher press, pass and move is what delivers success in this day and age and not kick and rush, which has died out. We have to be committed to playing this sort of football. Bruce's biggest problem is defaulting to negative garbage and that is what has harmed us the most this season.

Spot on. The teams who have ultimately been successful in gettin out of this division in the last 4-5 years are ones who have shown a desire to play football and been progressive in their approach. Middlesbrough were arsing around going nowhere in the league under mowbray and strachan..decided to try be a bit more creative and think differently and went with karanka and it worked. Brighton were going nowhere. Poyet and then Garcia got them playing football and Hughton has taken it on again (after hyypia made a balls of it mind ) Howe got bournemouth playing wonderful football with in the main a bunch of lower league players, got promoted. We have to start playing proper football .

• Like 3

Wolves, Fulham and Huddersfield all managed to find a manager who plays progressive attacking football, with great success. We don't need a Director of Football if the option that we go for is someone like Bruce. That is the obvious choice. Someone like Paul Cook at Wigan, who did a really good job in League One this year. Encourages players to get on the ball and take control. Great scoring record last season.

It's a shame Brendan Rogers doesn't fancy a crack at the job. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Not sure about that mate. They may see it as a big challenge. Big sams coming to end of his career I think he would take this kind of job.

Allardyce would leap at the chance I'm sure.

But the time to employ him was when MON left. Not sure he's got enough left in the tank for anything other than half a season of fire-fighting these days, and I think I'd rather stick with Bruce given the choice.

4 hours ago, Cliffy Biro said:

JT would not be a good option, how could anyone possibly say he is? Also he'll still play next year, he hasn't retired its just he wont be playing for us again.

Who says he will play next  year ? Most close to him think he will announce retirement - JT and lampard would be an interesting management team but would need an experienced head behind the scenes - as long as it’s not RDM. ;) 

‘All managers start somewhere - who thought wenger or mourinho would be any good until they were given a chance . 

‘Certainly wouldn’t want him as a player manager though 

Edited by Eastie

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Wenger or bust

Sounds ridiculous, but imagine if it is in the realms of possibility that he would look forward to the challenge of developing another Classic, big club like he did Arsenal?