Careers cut short through injury

Xela

Was reading an article yesterday and came across the name Dean Ashton. I remembered what a decent player he was and that he had to retire at 26 through injury. Made me think what other players have had their careers cruelly cut short through injury....

I'll start off with these two names from when I was a kid:

- Paul Lake - Man City. Suffered injury after injury and never recovered. Was hotly tipped to be an England mainstay 

- Billy Garton - Man Utd - Centre back I think. Injury ended his career before it really started. 

Advancements in surgery nowadays mean that players can come back from injuries that years ago would have been career ending. 

Edited by Xela

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

For us the most disappointing one for me was luc nilis, thought he was going to be the bollocks 

Or the latest in a long line of players who looked great for us for a few games then went to shit. 

Sebastian Deisler sticks out, really talented young player who was ruined by around 21/22, he never got going at Bayern having being a great talent at Hertha Berlin, retired by 26.

There's also a few players who simply weren't the same after injuries at a young age, like Michael Owen and Ronaldo. Whilst Ronaldo still had a great career at Madrid, he was a shadow of what he was becoming at Inter. At Inter he was evolving into someone comfortable as a number 9 and 10 in that 97/98 season. From 98/99 his injuries forced him into being a number 9 only. Still a hell of a player, however without injuries I think he have been considered the best ever.

• Like 4

Duncan Edwards - I know it's not exactly cut short through injury, but he was touted as the worlds best before he died at 21.  Born in Dudley too, where there is a nice bronze statue of him. 

Probably one of the biggest examples of a huge, natural talent, gone way too soon :( 

Not football, but one that sticks out to me is Grant Hill the basketball player. Touted to be MJ's heir apparent who would one day surpass him, it took him almost a decade to come back from a (recurring) ankle injury. When he did finally come back, it was only as a role player off the bench. Such a shame.

Derrick Rose is another one. League MVP at 21 not too long ago, and now getting waived and bounced around from team to team on short term contracts because his knees are made of feathers.

16 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's often said that Maradona wasn't quite the same after the 'Butcher of Bilbao' Andoni Goikoetxea shattered his ankle whilst playing for Barcelona.  

Shame he didn't shatter his left wrist! 

Â