• Hourihane
    • Adomah
    • Hogan
    • Kodjia (Adomah 55)
    • Grabban (Snodgrass 55)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/04/18 at 18:45

21 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

I said to a mate at work last summer that we'll have the best squad in the league but will still manage to make hard work of it as that's the "villa way". Just like we're doing whenever we're handed a chance to secure automatic promotion.

Are we anything like the best squad in the league?

• Thanks 1

Why do our defenders insist on playing long balls over the top to a striker who is barely a foot taller than Peter Dinklage?

At least Davis will hold it up for you. We may as well just be playing it back to their keeper. 

This lot look like they are currently standing around waiting for someone else to do the work for them.

Grealish the only one that really looked like he wanted to change the result. And Kodjia starting to look sharper. The only two things I can take away from that game that give me any comfort.

15 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

No.....and we never was.

That " Best" squad tag encompasses many more attributes than we have.

We have some decent players, but many too samey.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Only on paper...but I was feeling optimistic at the time as we hadn't kicked a ball yet!  The point I'm getting at is our comparative resources dwarf the rest of the league and we're still screwing it up. Tired players, dip in form. ineffective management or all of the above - it shouldn't matter as we have the resources to cope. We simply haven't and that is not good enough..in my humble opinion.

Edited by Darth Villa
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, TRO said:

No.....and we never was.

That " Best" squad tag encompasses many more attributes than we have.

We have some decent players, but many too samey.

To clarify, we have the most expensive, overrated squad of "experienced" and proven mostly in the premier league players, alongside cherry picked "top" Championship players. And yet they all turn inexplicably shit (or worse in the case of McCormack) once wearing our claret and blue shirts. I'm probably going off topic now but it drives me mad to see such professionals being out thought and out worked by Norwich players - who simply wanted it more.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Awful.  If we don't go up then Bruce is gone in the summer. If somehow we manage to make it up (yes, I know...) then I'd be stunned if he were still here at Xmas.  My biggest fear is all of this is built on sand, in six weeks the season will be over and the squad of loanees and thirtysomethings will need refreshing, and if we can't do that with Premier League money then we are probably going to have to do it with no money.  Could be a lengthy stay in the division at this rate. 

Even if we go up, and it's a big if, he should go. He isn't the man to take this club to the heights it's history merits.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Darth Villa said:

Only on paper...but I was feeling optimistic at the time as we hadn't kicked a ball yet!  The point I'm getting at is our comparative resources dwarf the rest of the league and we're still screwing it up. Tired players, dip in form. ineffective management or all of the above - it shouldn't matter as we have the resources to cope. We simply haven't and that is not good enough..in my humble opinion.

I think on paper we're possibly worse than where we are on the league. I know we're talking about different flavours of the same crap, but for me the manager has done a decent job with this squad and should maybe have done more in assembling a better one.

• Like 1

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

I think on paper we're possibly worse than where we are on the league. I know we're talking about different flavours of the same crap, but for me the manager has done a decent job with this squad and should maybe have done more in assembling a better one.

@OutByEaster?, I agree we could and should have signed some better players for the money we've spent but I can't agree that Bruce has done a decent job with the existing squad. We're at the sharp end of the season and have collapsed, I respect Bruce's record of promotions but question his ability in light of what I watched today.  I hope he proves me wrong but if not then I think a change should be seriously considered as we will need to build a longer-term approach for getting out of this league.

1 minute ago, Darth Villa said:

I hope he proves me wrong but if not then I think a change should be seriously considered as we will need to build a longer-term approach for getting out of this league.

I'm not sure if the change would be needed because of this season, but I think you're absolutely right about the need for a longer term approach if we don't go up this season - and I'm not sure Bruce is the man to develop a team of cheap youngsters over three or four seasons.

• Like 1

If we are going up through the play offs this team needs a complete mentality shift, since beating wolves we seem to think weve won before the game kicks off.

First half today we looked ok imo, passed it well enough and got into some good scoring positions which Norwich always scrambled away

Second half was absolute shite.

Living Norwich this was my only chance to see Villa this term and what a dissapointment and had to sit with the locals! Credit to our away support though,  fantastic, so much better than that performance deserved. felt for them all travelling so far. Best thing i heard all day was a Villa fan outside saying "to be honest i expected an absolute shithole but fair dues its quite nice!"   

Three hours after the game and still incredibly pi$$ed off!

Third away game on the spin that we’ve looked lacklustre. 

Will be typical Villa if we go and beat Cardiff on Tuesday.

Wolves done us a favour last night and all we had to do was beat a bang average Norwich and win a home game against our rivals and we could have been one point off automatic promotion by Tuesday evening. Now we are looking at play offs at best and the lottery that it is. Thanks Steve, you really know how to kick fans in the teeth.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

I still think the team lacks character.....it shows it at times for sure, but its inconsistent.

We allow teams who are inferior to us to compromise us.....that is sinful in my book.

they are a shadow of the team they can be.....i will be there on Tuesday supporting them, but my god they need to show more dogged determination on Tuesday than that otherwise we are in for an embarrassing night.

• Like 1

The biggest fallacy of Bruce is that he shows too much loyalty in team selection.

If he wins, he doesn't change it, unless he has too.

If we lose, we see changes.

We'll see changes on Tuesday now.

He has to take each game as it comes and choose the players he thinks will win the game, whether that means dropping players or not.

I like Bruce, but after every loss you can see why we lost (tiredness mostly).

The team needs freshening up after 3 or 4 games.  Rotate the squad, trust the players to come in and play well, if they don't, hook them. 

Be more assertive.

Very frustrating result.

• Like 3

Â